Re: [Hybrid] Hybrid Ringtones

  • EvilAlivE@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
      In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:13:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      deadman@... writes:

      >People must be crazy paying for ringtones etc.

      ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local webjal
      and hacked my phone

      :)
    • pinyan
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
        At 00:58 03/08/2004, Andy Grundman wrote:

        >What possible purpose other than greed was there to ever build a MIDI
        >synth into cell phones?!

        besides the greed of the companies, i suppose there is also the stupidity
        (lack of a better word) of the users.
        i was wondering why i was asked to work on a polyphonic midi version of
        Enter Sandman. the source midi i was given was pretty screwed up. without
        the vocals it sounds like another song altogether. maybe they should call
        it ringtone-karaoke. besides, the guitars, they reminded me of the midi
        soundtrack from Doom.

        apparently there were people willing to pay for it.

        but then again if i have to choose between the current midi synths on the
        phones, and the beepers from a few years back, i'll choose midi.
        sure, it sounds like crap, but it's fun when you're able to have your very
        own polyphonic tones (that are more than just beeps).

        hope. it is the quintessential human delusion,
        simultaneously the source of your greatest strength,
        and your greatest weakness.
        -the architect
      • s_lobo_2
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
          Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
          the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
          number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
          playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
          ringtones.

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, pinyan <pinyan@s...> wrote:

          > (i was almost done with quite a long version of this post, when my
          computer
          > died on me. therefore i'll keep it short this time)
          >
          > a couple of months back i was working on midi ringtones for this
          guy who
          > was selling them to telcos, so i've got some experience with them.
          (he sent
          > me midi files of songs, and i trimmed them down to become ringtones)
          >
          > most phones support polyphonic ringtones by now. compared to the
          old
          > monophonic beeping phones, they sound better (to most people, at
          least),
          > and give you more room to play around with stuff.
          <snip>
        • Pev
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
            ally@... wrote:
            > Really????
            >
            > Cascade is a track from HybridSoundSystem.com - I don't think any of
            > us have heard the full version. I'm not sure what they're doing with
            > the track.
            >
            > I've been wanting a Hybrid ringtone for ages. C'mon...one of us must
            > be able to make a decent one?!
            It's not that hard ; anyone here into production with a PC can download
            the nokia ringtone developer kit from forum.nokia.com that includes a
            VST that provides the same poly sounds as on the phones. Very easy to
            knock out a tone from your favourite sequencer.

            FYI, I just got a Nokia 7610 a few weeks ago, and just bunging in
            an MP3 works great as a ringtone. I've put together a few edits that
            I'm using at the moment that sound wicked!

            ~Pev

            (Working in France at the moment and very bored. Anyone else on the
            list in the Paris area?)
          • Brett Kennelly
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
              Not just that, but mid files are like 20kb in size, where an mp3 is 4-5MB...quite a substantial difference in size for storage on a mobile fone...

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                My fone has software which enables me to send mid files via bluetooth to my fone...I just dl free tones from midi sites. Simple (I have a nokia 6230)

                > ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local >webjal and hacked my phone
              • touzimsky
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                  > Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
                  > the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
                  > number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
                  > playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
                  > ringtones.

                  Yes, much like a four-track sequencer, but with .wav/.iff samples rather
                  than MIDI commands.

                  WinAmp should be able to play those as well. If someone's interested, I
                  could dig out some nice examples of what the mod scene is capable of.
                  :-)

                  ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                  A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind
                  and will not change the subject.
                • captain_squirrell
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 4, 2004
                    I've got MP3 ringtones on my phone :o)
                    I've currently got 'Baby Got Back' by Sir Mix-a-lot!