Re: [Hybrid] Re: ringtones

  • EvilAlivE@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 2 4:42 PM
      In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:13:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      andy@... writes:

      >I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned though... I actually have my ringer set
      >to whatever sounds most like an actual phone ringing!

      i make my own ringtones all the time... i used to program them in
      monophonic... the best one i ever did back then was godspeed... polyphonic u can do
      some interesting things.. believe me.. id much rather write ringtones in the
      sequencer that i program music in... and i quite enjoy them.. but you have to
      remember they are simple general midi sounds... you could never get the kewl
      lush sounds that hybrid has... the basslines would never do... nothing would... they would be horrible... ya definetly have to have mp3 capability
    • EvilAlivE@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2 4:43 PM
        In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:13:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        deadman@... writes:

        >People must be crazy paying for ringtones etc.

        ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local webjal
        and hacked my phone

        :)
      • pinyan
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2 8:31 PM
          At 00:58 03/08/2004, Andy Grundman wrote:

          >What possible purpose other than greed was there to ever build a MIDI
          >synth into cell phones?!

          besides the greed of the companies, i suppose there is also the stupidity
          (lack of a better word) of the users.
          i was wondering why i was asked to work on a polyphonic midi version of
          Enter Sandman. the source midi i was given was pretty screwed up. without
          the vocals it sounds like another song altogether. maybe they should call
          it ringtone-karaoke. besides, the guitars, they reminded me of the midi
          soundtrack from Doom.

          apparently there were people willing to pay for it.

          but then again if i have to choose between the current midi synths on the
          phones, and the beepers from a few years back, i'll choose midi.
          sure, it sounds like crap, but it's fun when you're able to have your very
          own polyphonic tones (that are more than just beeps).

          hope. it is the quintessential human delusion,
          simultaneously the source of your greatest strength,
          and your greatest weakness.
          -the architect
        • s_lobo_2
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 3 1:20 AM
            Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
            the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
            number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
            playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
            ringtones.

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, pinyan <pinyan@s...> wrote:

            > (i was almost done with quite a long version of this post, when my
            computer
            > died on me. therefore i'll keep it short this time)
            >
            > a couple of months back i was working on midi ringtones for this
            guy who
            > was selling them to telcos, so i've got some experience with them.
            (he sent
            > me midi files of songs, and i trimmed them down to become ringtones)
            >
            > most phones support polyphonic ringtones by now. compared to the
            old
            > monophonic beeping phones, they sound better (to most people, at
            least),
            > and give you more room to play around with stuff.
            <snip>
          • Pev
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 3 2:17 AM
              ally@... wrote:
              > Really????
              >
              > Cascade is a track from HybridSoundSystem.com - I don't think any of
              > us have heard the full version. I'm not sure what they're doing with
              > the track.
              >
              > I've been wanting a Hybrid ringtone for ages. C'mon...one of us must
              > be able to make a decent one?!
              It's not that hard ; anyone here into production with a PC can download
              the nokia ringtone developer kit from forum.nokia.com that includes a
              VST that provides the same poly sounds as on the phones. Very easy to
              knock out a tone from your favourite sequencer.

              FYI, I just got a Nokia 7610 a few weeks ago, and just bunging in
              an MP3 works great as a ringtone. I've put together a few edits that
              I'm using at the moment that sound wicked!

              ~Pev

              (Working in France at the moment and very bored. Anyone else on the
              list in the Paris area?)
            • Brett Kennelly
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 3 2:29 AM
                Not just that, but mid files are like 20kb in size, where an mp3 is 4-5MB...quite a substantial difference in size for storage on a mobile fone...

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 3 2:31 AM
                  My fone has software which enables me to send mid files via bluetooth to my fone...I just dl free tones from midi sites. Simple (I have a nokia 6230)

                  > ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local >webjal and hacked my phone
                • touzimsky
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 3 3:52 AM
                    > Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
                    > the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
                    > number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
                    > playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
                    > ringtones.

                    Yes, much like a four-track sequencer, but with .wav/.iff samples rather
                    than MIDI commands.

                    WinAmp should be able to play those as well. If someone's interested, I
                    could dig out some nice examples of what the mod scene is capable of.
                    :-)

                    ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                    A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind
                    and will not change the subject.
                  • captain_squirrell
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 4 12:58 AM
                      I've got MP3 ringtones on my phone :o)
                      I've currently got 'Baby Got Back' by Sir Mix-a-lot!