Re: ringtones

  • ally@hybrid-group.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
      So...do you think ANY of Hybrid's tracks would sound 'decent' as a
      polyphonic?

      Ally

      > a couple of months back i was working on midi ringtones for this
      guy who
      > was selling them to telcos, so i've got some experience with them.
      (he sent
      > me midi files of songs, and i trimmed them down to become
      ringtones)
    • pinyan
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
        if we're talking about polyphonic midi ringtones, maybe, Out of the Dark?
        the chimes(?) will probably loop nicely. i think Burnin will sound pretty
        good too.

      • EvilAlivE@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
          In a message dated 8/2/2004 5:38:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          ally@... writes:

          So...do you think ANY of Hybrid's tracks would sound 'decent' as a
          polyphonic?

          negative

          the newer phoens that play mp3s.. possibly... but general midi(not the
          group) strings sound pretty much awful... so do most drums... i dont think it
          would sound good at all.. and would be very unrecognizable.. no matter what the
          choon
        • Andy Grundman
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
            OK I need to rant a bit about ringtones...

            What possible purpose other than greed was there to ever build a MIDI
            synth into cell phones?! It's the silliest thing I've ever heard of. I
            love MIDI as much as the next guy (I was big into XG back in the mid-90s
            before mp3 came along), but there is simply no place for it on a cell
            phone. Cell companies pay someone to create poorly-sequenced clips of
            popular songs that don't really sound like the original, and then they
            ask people to pay $2+ for a short clip? I guess I answered my own
            question... it's all about the money.

            My phone can play 24kbit/22khz mp3 files as well as MIDI. It's low
            quality, but at least I could make them myself. I don't really know if
            either one has a place on a cell phone, but it makes a bit more sense to
            have mp3 ringtones because people can make their own ringtones easily.

            I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned though... I actually have my ringer set
            to whatever sounds most like an actual phone ringing!

            -Andy

          • EvilAlivE@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
              In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:13:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              andy@... writes:

              >I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned though... I actually have my ringer set
              >to whatever sounds most like an actual phone ringing!

              i make my own ringtones all the time... i used to program them in
              monophonic... the best one i ever did back then was godspeed... polyphonic u can do
              some interesting things.. believe me.. id much rather write ringtones in the
              sequencer that i program music in... and i quite enjoy them.. but you have to
              remember they are simple general midi sounds... you could never get the kewl
              lush sounds that hybrid has... the basslines would never do... nothing would... they would be horrible... ya definetly have to have mp3 capability
            • EvilAlivE@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:13:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                deadman@... writes:

                >People must be crazy paying for ringtones etc.

                ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local webjal
                and hacked my phone

                :)
              • pinyan
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                  At 00:58 03/08/2004, Andy Grundman wrote:

                  >What possible purpose other than greed was there to ever build a MIDI
                  >synth into cell phones?!

                  besides the greed of the companies, i suppose there is also the stupidity
                  (lack of a better word) of the users.
                  i was wondering why i was asked to work on a polyphonic midi version of
                  Enter Sandman. the source midi i was given was pretty screwed up. without
                  the vocals it sounds like another song altogether. maybe they should call
                  it ringtone-karaoke. besides, the guitars, they reminded me of the midi
                  soundtrack from Doom.

                  apparently there were people willing to pay for it.

                  but then again if i have to choose between the current midi synths on the
                  phones, and the beepers from a few years back, i'll choose midi.
                  sure, it sounds like crap, but it's fun when you're able to have your very
                  own polyphonic tones (that are more than just beeps).

                  hope. it is the quintessential human delusion,
                  simultaneously the source of your greatest strength,
                  and your greatest weakness.
                  -the architect
                • s_lobo_2
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                    Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
                    the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
                    number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
                    playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
                    ringtones.

                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, pinyan <pinyan@s...> wrote:

                    > (i was almost done with quite a long version of this post, when my
                    computer
                    > died on me. therefore i'll keep it short this time)
                    >
                    > a couple of months back i was working on midi ringtones for this
                    guy who
                    > was selling them to telcos, so i've got some experience with them.
                    (he sent
                    > me midi files of songs, and i trimmed them down to become ringtones)
                    >
                    > most phones support polyphonic ringtones by now. compared to the
                    old
                    > monophonic beeping phones, they sound better (to most people, at
                    least),
                    > and give you more room to play around with stuff.
                    <snip>
                  • Pev
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                      ally@... wrote:
                      > Really????
                      >
                      > Cascade is a track from HybridSoundSystem.com - I don't think any of
                      > us have heard the full version. I'm not sure what they're doing with
                      > the track.
                      >
                      > I've been wanting a Hybrid ringtone for ages. C'mon...one of us must
                      > be able to make a decent one?!
                      It's not that hard ; anyone here into production with a PC can download
                      the nokia ringtone developer kit from forum.nokia.com that includes a
                      VST that provides the same poly sounds as on the phones. Very easy to
                      knock out a tone from your favourite sequencer.

                      FYI, I just got a Nokia 7610 a few weeks ago, and just bunging in
                      an MP3 works great as a ringtone. I've put together a few edits that
                      I'm using at the moment that sound wicked!

                      ~Pev

                      (Working in France at the moment and very bored. Anyone else on the
                      list in the Paris area?)
                    • Brett Kennelly
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                        Not just that, but mid files are like 20kb in size, where an mp3 is 4-5MB...quite a substantial difference in size for storage on a mobile fone...

                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                          My fone has software which enables me to send mid files via bluetooth to my fone...I just dl free tones from midi sites. Simple (I have a nokia 6230)

                          > ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local >webjal and hacked my phone
                        • touzimsky
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                            > Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
                            > the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
                            > number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
                            > playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
                            > ringtones.

                            Yes, much like a four-track sequencer, but with .wav/.iff samples rather
                            than MIDI commands.

                            WinAmp should be able to play those as well. If someone's interested, I
                            could dig out some nice examples of what the mod scene is capable of.
                            :-)

                            ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                            A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind
                            and will not change the subject.
                          • captain_squirrell
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 4, 2004
                              I've got MP3 ringtones on my phone :o)
                              I've currently got 'Baby Got Back' by Sir Mix-a-lot!