Re: [Hybrid] Re: OT: Way Out West / Don't Look Now

  • Antti Mutta
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 29, 2004
      > I'd say it's 75% opinion...I'm not bothered (your opinion seems to be
      > in the minority around here anyway) but here's an excerpt from another
      > review/opinion (courtesy of Daniel Craig at the wowest boards, hope u
      > don't mind!) to counter some of your arguments:

      I don't mind at all. Also, I didn't write this thing because I wanted to
      slag off WOW or anything. I enjoy great music, but WOW just doesn't seem to
      be able to make a great album, though they're able to produce superb
      remixes.

      > You mentioned BT's great production and compositional skills. They
      > didn't serve him very well on ET. There were some downright grating

      BT is a talented and an excellent producer, I think no one is able to deny
      this. However, I have had no love for his music since Still Life.

      > In regards to your cliche' comment, I don't understand what or where
      > they are. Moments of transparency and simplicity don't count.

      WOW is making pop that sounds good as pop made by WOW, because they're not
      famous for it. Compared to actual pop producers and good pop music, their
      music is cliched and old. This applies to most of the club music bands
      trying to do something new. It's like Moby when he is doing punk. It sucks.

      > collection of disjointed tracks as well. BTW, can you tell me which
      > parts of "JustLike a Man"sample Blade Runner? I'm curious (I want to
      > hear how blatant it is :P).

      Just Like A Man samples Vangelis' Rachel's Song from Blade Runner original
      soundtrack recording. It uses it as one of the main background elements.
      Hopefully they've paid for the use of that sample :) Good usage of it, even
      though Blade Runner has been used million times before.

      > Well, I'm done, I just couldn't let the scathing belittling go by
      > without a rebuttal. Maybe the Evil 9 album will keep you from being
      > disappointed in 2004.

      I'm waiting for the Evil 9 album too. They've been overused lately as
      remixers and they seem to recycle all their beats.

      -antti
    • Alan Duval
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 18, 2004
        Rubbish - it was being used when the Chems hit the charts - well
        before Madonna and TCM.

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Antti Mutta" <antti.mutta@s...>
        wrote:
        I wonder how long you've been listening to electronic music?
        Electronica was coined back when US press started to get all hot and
        bothered with a few of the most plastic and mainstream appealing
        electronic music artists.