Re:- Cascade Track

  • bigfrankblue1980
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 27, 2004
      Hi

      I recently bought a brand new Motorola V600 in the Uk and it came
      with Hybrid "Cascade" as the main ringtone which is beautiful. I
      wondered if anyone can advise on where i can get a copy. I would like
      it in mp3 if possible, i have checked a few albums on Amazon and
      cannot seem to find it. Any help would be great.

      Matt x
    • ally@hybrid-group.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 29, 2004
        Really????

        Cascade is a track from HybridSoundSystem.com - I don't think any of
        us have heard the full version. I'm not sure what they're doing with
        the track.

        I've been wanting a Hybrid ringtone for ages. C'mon...one of us must
        be able to make a decent one?!

        Ally

        > I recently bought a brand new Motorola V600 in the Uk and it came
        > with Hybrid "Cascade" as the main ringtone which is beautiful. I
        > wondered if anyone can advise on where i can get a copy. I would
        like
        > it in mp3 if possible, i have checked a few albums on Amazon and
        > cannot seem to find it. Any help would be great.
        >
        > Matt x
      • s_lobo_2
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 29, 2004
          http://direct.motorola.com/experience/GBR/ENG/V600/v600_downloads_mp3_
          Ringtones.ASP?Country=GBR&Language=ENG&ProductID=29129

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "bigfrankblue1980"

        • ally@hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 29, 2004
            Excellent.

            I wish my Nokia phone (7250i) played better ringtones - you're lucky
            if a ringtone sounds anything like the original.

            I want that Motorola now :(

            Ally

            _
            > Ringtones.ASP?Country=GBR&Language=ENG&ProductID=29129
          • Sapna Modi
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 29, 2004
              where can i get one for my ericsson k700i??

              > I recently bought a brand new Motorola V600 in the Uk and it came
              > with Hybrid "Cascade" as the main ringtone which is beautiful. I
              > wondered if anyone can advise on where i can get a copy. I would
              like
              > it in mp3 if possible, i have checked a few albums on Amazon and
              > cannot seem to find it. Any help would be great.
              >
              > Matt x
            • jd35
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 29, 2004
                Have you heard the I'm Still Awake ringtone?

                On this page ... you get to hear it too.

                http://www.1st-choice-ringtones.co.uk/dance_polyphonic_ring_tones.html

                Not sure I like it that much (it has lost something in translation)
                so I haven't bothered to get it.

                Jon

                >I've been wanting a Hybrid ringtone for ages. C'mon...one of us must
                >be able to make a decent one?!
                >
                >Ally
              • Chaz Schlueter
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 29, 2004
                  err....was that "I'm still awake?"

                  My samsung ringtones are clear and non cheesy...for the most part. what was THAT?

                  Chaz

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "jd35" <jd35@s...> wrote:
                  > Have you heard the I'm Still Awake ringtone?
                  >
                  > On this page ... you get to hear it too.
                  >
                  > http://www.1st-choice-ringtones.co.uk/dance_polyphonic_ring_tones.html
                  >
                  > Not sure I like it that much (it has lost something in translation)
                  > so I haven't bothered to get it.
                  >
                  > Jon
                • s_lobo_2
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 29, 2004
                    Actually, any mp3 compatable phone can use this ringtone. I have a
                    Nokia 6600, I'll be trying out this tune when I get home. There's a
                    preview on that web site too.

                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "ally@h..." <ally@h...> wrote:
                    > Excellent.
                    >
                    > I wish my Nokia phone (7250i) played better ringtones - you're
                    lucky
                    > if a ringtone sounds anything like the original.
                    >
                    > I want that Motorola now :(
                    >
                    > Ally
                  • pinyan
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 29, 2004
                      (i was almost done with quite a long version of this post, when my computer
                      died on me. therefore i'll keep it short this time)

                      a couple of months back i was working on midi ringtones for this guy who
                      was selling them to telcos, so i've got some experience with them. (he sent
                      me midi files of songs, and i trimmed them down to become ringtones)

                      most phones support polyphonic ringtones by now. compared to the old
                      monophonic beeping phones, they sound better (to most people, at least),
                      and give you more room to play around with stuff.

                      thing about midi ringtones is that, it's not that easy for them to sound
                      like dance tracks. they're very good with simple melodies, and simple bass
                      and drum parts, but that's about it, i feel. well you definitely cant get
                      vocals with them. most "dance" tracks have more complex drum and percussion
                      parts, as compared to top40 radio songs. electronic dance music is also a
                      lost more reliant on basslines (and power bassdrums). the little speakers
                      on most phones just arent capable of reproducing the bass nicely. and with
                      the polyphony limit on midi ringtones, you'd want to keep the percussion
                      part simple. for example, for 4-tone/channel ringtones, i usually used two
                      for percussion, one for bassline, and one for a synth/piano/horn instrument
                      for the vocals or the song melody. (come to think of it, if somebody does
                      the man with the red face on a midi ringtone, it might turn out nice)

                      that means that even if you have a phone that plays wav's or mp3's, you're
                      still limited by the speaker. at the same time, i found that it's easier to
                      notice your phone ringing when you have a high pitched tone. when you're in
                      a crowded place with a lot people and noise, the higher pitched tones were
                      easier to make out. also, you'd want to avoid "full" sounding segments.
                      parts that sound very lush on your hi fi speakers end up sounding like part
                      of the distortion when you play them loud on your phone speaker.

                      i use a nokia 6230, which has an mmc card. i've got portishead's roads in
                      the card, but it sounds funny played over the phone speakers. i tried to
                      use the bassline from unkle's in a state as my ringtone, but i couldnt
                      really hear it. but it's alright. i ended up using djuma soundsystem's les
                      djins. heheh.

                      hope. it is the quintessential human delusion,
                      simultaneously the source of your greatest strength,
                      and your greatest weakness.
                      -the architect
                    • benjabrams
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 30, 2004
                        I take it Cascade is the tune that plays over the top of the
                        HybridSoundSystem.com website!? It does n't appear on the discography

                      • ally@hybrid-group.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                          So...do you think ANY of Hybrid's tracks would sound 'decent' as a
                          polyphonic?

                          Ally

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                            if we're talking about polyphonic midi ringtones, maybe, Out of the Dark?
                            the chimes(?) will probably loop nicely. i think Burnin will sound pretty
                            good too.

                          • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                              In a message dated 8/2/2004 5:38:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              ally@... writes:

                              So...do you think ANY of Hybrid's tracks would sound 'decent' as a
                              polyphonic?

                              negative

                              the newer phoens that play mp3s.. possibly... but general midi(not the
                              group) strings sound pretty much awful... so do most drums... i dont think it
                              would sound good at all.. and would be very unrecognizable.. no matter what the
                              choon
                            • Andy Grundman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                                OK I need to rant a bit about ringtones...

                                What possible purpose other than greed was there to ever build a MIDI
                                synth into cell phones?! It's the silliest thing I've ever heard of. I
                                love MIDI as much as the next guy (I was big into XG back in the mid-90s
                                before mp3 came along), but there is simply no place for it on a cell
                                phone. Cell companies pay someone to create poorly-sequenced clips of
                                popular songs that don't really sound like the original, and then they
                                ask people to pay $2+ for a short clip? I guess I answered my own
                                question... it's all about the money.

                                My phone can play 24kbit/22khz mp3 files as well as MIDI. It's low
                                quality, but at least I could make them myself. I don't really know if
                                either one has a place on a cell phone, but it makes a bit more sense to
                                have mp3 ringtones because people can make their own ringtones easily.

                                I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned though... I actually have my ringer set
                                to whatever sounds most like an actual phone ringing!

                                -Andy

                              • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                                  In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:13:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  andy@... writes:

                                  >I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned though... I actually have my ringer set
                                  >to whatever sounds most like an actual phone ringing!

                                  i make my own ringtones all the time... i used to program them in
                                  monophonic... the best one i ever did back then was godspeed... polyphonic u can do
                                  some interesting things.. believe me.. id much rather write ringtones in the
                                  sequencer that i program music in... and i quite enjoy them.. but you have to
                                  remember they are simple general midi sounds... you could never get the kewl
                                  lush sounds that hybrid has... the basslines would never do... nothing would... they would be horrible... ya definetly have to have mp3 capability
                                • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                                    In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:13:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    deadman@... writes:

                                    >People must be crazy paying for ringtones etc.

                                    ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local webjal
                                    and hacked my phone

                                    :)
                                  • pinyan
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 2, 2004
                                      At 00:58 03/08/2004, Andy Grundman wrote:

                                      >What possible purpose other than greed was there to ever build a MIDI
                                      >synth into cell phones?!

                                      besides the greed of the companies, i suppose there is also the stupidity
                                      (lack of a better word) of the users.
                                      i was wondering why i was asked to work on a polyphonic midi version of
                                      Enter Sandman. the source midi i was given was pretty screwed up. without
                                      the vocals it sounds like another song altogether. maybe they should call
                                      it ringtone-karaoke. besides, the guitars, they reminded me of the midi
                                      soundtrack from Doom.

                                      apparently there were people willing to pay for it.

                                      but then again if i have to choose between the current midi synths on the
                                      phones, and the beepers from a few years back, i'll choose midi.
                                      sure, it sounds like crap, but it's fun when you're able to have your very
                                      own polyphonic tones (that are more than just beeps).

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                                        Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
                                        the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
                                        number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
                                        playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
                                        ringtones.

                                        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, pinyan <pinyan@s...> wrote:

                                        > (i was almost done with quite a long version of this post, when my
                                        computer
                                        > died on me. therefore i'll keep it short this time)
                                        >
                                        > a couple of months back i was working on midi ringtones for this
                                        guy who
                                        > was selling them to telcos, so i've got some experience with them.
                                        (he sent
                                        > me midi files of songs, and i trimmed them down to become ringtones)
                                        >
                                        > most phones support polyphonic ringtones by now. compared to the
                                        old
                                        > monophonic beeping phones, they sound better (to most people, at
                                        least),
                                        > and give you more room to play around with stuff.
                                        <snip>
                                      • Pev
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                                          ally@... wrote:
                                          > Really????
                                          >
                                          > Cascade is a track from HybridSoundSystem.com - I don't think any of
                                          > us have heard the full version. I'm not sure what they're doing with
                                          > the track.
                                          >
                                          > I've been wanting a Hybrid ringtone for ages. C'mon...one of us must
                                          > be able to make a decent one?!
                                          It's not that hard ; anyone here into production with a PC can download
                                          the nokia ringtone developer kit from forum.nokia.com that includes a
                                          VST that provides the same poly sounds as on the phones. Very easy to
                                          knock out a tone from your favourite sequencer.

                                          FYI, I just got a Nokia 7610 a few weeks ago, and just bunging in
                                          an MP3 works great as a ringtone. I've put together a few edits that
                                          I'm using at the moment that sound wicked!

                                          ~Pev

                                          (Working in France at the moment and very bored. Anyone else on the
                                          list in the Paris area?)
                                        • Brett Kennelly
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                                            Not just that, but mid files are like 20kb in size, where an mp3 is 4-5MB...quite a substantial difference in size for storage on a mobile fone...

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                                              My fone has software which enables me to send mid files via bluetooth to my fone...I just dl free tones from midi sites. Simple (I have a nokia 6230)

                                              > ive never payed for a ringtone... i have nextel.. i got a nice local >webjal and hacked my phone
                                            • touzimsky
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 3, 2004
                                                > Mods used to be good for dance/techno tunes. They used to be big in
                                                > the Amiga era. From what I understand, a mod file consisted of a
                                                > number of samples (which could be pretty good quality), and then a
                                                > playlist for those samples. I'm suprised these were never used as
                                                > ringtones.

                                                Yes, much like a four-track sequencer, but with .wav/.iff samples rather
                                                than MIDI commands.

                                                WinAmp should be able to play those as well. If someone's interested, I
                                                could dig out some nice examples of what the mod scene is capable of.
                                                :-)

                                                ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                                                A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind
                                                and will not change the subject.
                                              • captain_squirrell
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 4, 2004
                                                  I've got MP3 ringtones on my phone :o)
                                                  I've currently got 'Baby Got Back' by Sir Mix-a-lot!