[Hybrid] ADD vs MSF (Was OT: Sasha)

  • Chilvers, Simon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 15, 2004
      Vinnie,

      I'm not sure I speak for everyone but that is one of the reasons I like it
      so much. The album isn't just a collection of tracks that have no bearing on
      oneanother. The fluidity of the album is superb and I prefer to refer it to
      a movement of music like one long piece of music broken up into parts.

      The only other album (or group of albums if you take into account parts 2
      and 3) is Mike Oldfields "Tubular Bells" Which does a similar thing but on a
      more obvious scale.

      I still think that ADD p*sses over everything released in the last few years
      even MSF. MSF has its stand out tracks... but the different styles
      incorporated into the album just doesn't do it for me.

      You even have to play Gravastar / VN / KYE / We are in control/ Marrakech.

      or OoTD / I'm still awake / True to form / et al depending on what mood
      you're in!

      and then Blackout sticks out like a sore thumb at the end?? (I good track,
      but not in keeping with the album)

      What I think I'm getting at is that there seems to be very little structure
      or sound to the album. I think hybrid were set on doing one album in a
      certain vein then adam came along the sound changed, but the tracks they had
      already completed they still wanted to use but little thought was given to
      how the two sounds sat next to one another. so instead of drawing a line
      between the two sounds (maybe doing a part one [Indy inspired dance f. Adam
      then a second part with the breaks tracks..... pretty cheap idea I know)
      they decide to just mix the lot up in a seemingly random order and hope no
      notices that the album competely changed direction half way through?

      I better solution would have been to continue in the vein of the indy stuff
      with adam with maybe to guest vocal of Kirsty at the end (or in the middle
      like they did with Sinequanon) and forget about trying to include the tracks
      that didn't fit and lets face it most of them we already had in the form of
      the double a's they released before the album!

      Wide Angle didn't have this problem. All the tracks blend together very
      nicely theres a definate "sound" to the album. Some people may argue that
      Sinequanon was out of place but I prefer to think of it as a interlude to
      the album... and I think that wide angle would miss it if it were cut out!

      Similarly both Way Out West albums are exactly the same, both havely a
      strong direction in there soundscape and I can only applaud JW and NW for
      that. The second being a masterpiece which actually takes the listener
      through a journey from A to B.... the tracks developing through the album
      till you get to the peak of UB devoid and the final flourish of Intensify I
      & II. I'd liken the Intensify LP to a DJ Set the way it builds the layers of
      music till a peak in the middle and a strong stuctured end.

      Sorry about the length of post and the diversion to other albums.

      Whats everyone elses opinion on this

      Si

      > It's not cheap, it's called creating a collage. The ADD tracks are
      > faceless because there isn't anything striking that defines them.
      > Differentiating between them on a whim is a bit of a task.
    • nickbower2000
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2004
        I do agree in part with what you've said Si, regarding the how Wide
        Angle flows and carries a certain theme and how MSF is a little more
        disjointed, amalgamating a mixture of genres. I really don't
        necessarily look upon this as a bad thing to be honest, as had the
        boys created MSF with the same smooth, polished fluidity as Wide
        Angle, it might not have worked - who knows? I like Wide Angle for its lush,
        cinematic, jazzy, almost 'coffee table chic' kind of sound and
        similarly MSF for its edgy, slightly rougher and more acoustic feel.
        Also, the fact that for MSF they've put a lot of emphasis on using a mixture
        of vocalists and musicians, throwing them all into the melting pot.
        Some people like it, some people don't, but hey thats music at the end
        of the day - you can't please everyone all of the time. If Hybrid
        tried to they'd probably take about 10 years to release an album! ;)

        I must admit after thinking about your 2 styles/2 CD idea for a while
        I've warmed to it, Si. It could be a formula that might work quite well
        for Hybrid? I particularly like Junkie XL's last album which came with
        two CDs. One covering the vocal/more commercial tracks and one with
        more dancefloor oriented numbers - breaking the album into two distinct
        halves. Its an album I keep re-visting time and again.

        Anyway, we'll see what the 3rd Hybrid album holds in store for us...from
        the reports I've heard so far, its all going to sound very grand indeed.

        :)

        Nick

        > I'm not sure I speak for everyone but that is one of the reasons I
        like it
        > so much. The album isn't just a collection of tracks that have no
        bearing on
        > oneanother. The fluidity of the album is superb and I prefer to
        refer it to
        > a movement of music like one long piece of music broken up into
        parts.
      • Antti Mutta
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 15, 2004
          It'd be nice to know how many tracks Hybrid usually leaves to editing room
          floor when they're putting the album together. Some rock bands have
          reportedly recorded even 40 songs for an album that in the end had only 15
          tracks.

          2 CD would be a grand idea if the included material would carry the length
          of it. The two CD version of Junkie XL's album was mostly crap and, to me,
          is a bad example of this. I think most of the time the best results come
          from leaving on the album only the very best tracks the band can conceive
          instead of going overboard with multiple discs and all that nonsense. I
          totally dig longer CDs that fill the medium, but if the album is near
          perfect as a whole and is only 45 minutes long, why fill it with lacklustre
          performances? It's good to see Global Underground going this route with
          Involver as well.. To me most of their 2 CD mixes were always a bit of a
          mish mash of quality.

          And anyway, you can always release superhyper limited special editions of
          the album with all that leftover turd fans feed on :)

          -antti

          > I must admit after thinking about your 2 styles/2 CD idea for a while
          > I've warmed to it, Si. It could be a formula that might work quite well
          > for Hybrid? I particularly like Junkie XL's last album which came with
          > two CDs. One covering the vocal/more commercial tracks and one with
          > more dancefloor oriented numbers - breaking the album into two distinct
          > halves. Its an album I keep re-visting time and again.
        • s_lobo_2
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 15, 2004
            I think you hit the nail on the head there Si.

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Chilvers, Simon"

          • ally@hybrid-group.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 15, 2004
              I think Hybrid had over 20 tracks that they did for the album.

              Ally

              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Antti Mutta" <antti.mutta@s...>
            • dcraig@nmt.edu
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 15, 2004
                > Vinnie,
                >
                > I'm not sure I speak for everyone but that is one of the reasons I like it
                > so much. The album isn't just a collection of tracks that have no bearing
                > on
                > oneanother. The fluidity of the album is superb and I prefer to refer it
                > a movement of music like one long piece of music broken up into parts.

                That's terrific, I like stuff that flows too, but while the music is
                flowing it still has to move you. That's the problem with ADD, it's just
                a CD full of fluid noise. I've never found it interesting, and I don't
                believe the few breaks tracks slapped into the center of the CD really fit
                in. I judge a song and an album by how many times it can make me look up
                and pay attention. It doesn't matter when it happens, it might even be
                the transition between tracks, but I have to be intrigued. If it's really
                good it might even make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up or I
                might even get goose-bumps. There isn't a single moment on ADD that makes
                me do that. It doesn't make me stop and think, it doesn't make me want to
                get up and dance, it doesn't bring a smile to my face when that one
                brilliant moment happens... it's just background noise, elevator music.
                It's there but only so there isn't silence. That's not brilliance in my
                opinion.

                > I still think that ADD p*sses over everything released in the last few
                > years
                > even MSF. MSF has its stand out tracks... but the different styles
                > incorporated into the album just doesn't do it for me.
                >
                > You even have to play Gravastar / VN / KYE / We are in control/ Marrakech.
                >
                > or OoTD / I'm still awake / True to form / et al depending on what mood
                > you're in!
                >
                > and then Blackout sticks out like a sore thumb at the end?? (I good track,
                > but not in keeping with the album)

                I've never understood why everybody says Blackout doesn't fit? I love it,
                I think it fits in nicely as a finisher. All of these semi-depressing
                male vocals wash away into Kirsty's ethereal voice. It's a good finisher
                dammit. Then again, I also really appreciate good use of
                juxtapositioning, and I think that's what MSF was all about. However, I
                think there was still a good thread of brooding that made it's way through
                every track (even the three that SHOULD NOT have been on the album because
                they were already released prior.)

                Dan
              • vinnie970
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 16, 2004
                  Thanks, DCraig. ;) The album fails to hold my interest over the course
                  of it's hour+ journey; I find my attention waning. Pin that on my bad
                  taste if you will but that's just my opinion.

                • Rob .
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 17, 2004
                    Interesting comments, and i agree that WA gels together everying very well....and
                    although i was surprised when i heard MSF but i love it - but love th idea that they
                    may be returning to the whole orchestral thing a bit more - on a slightly different
                    note, im a biot of a newbie to the group, and as such constantly learning....so
                    forgive me for asking, but whos ADD....???

                    thanks

                    --- vinnie970 <vinnie97@...> wrote:

                    > That's terrific, I like stuff that flows too, but while the music is
                    > flowing it still has to move you. That's the problem with ADD, it's
                    just
                    > a CD full of fluid noise. I've never found it interesting, and I don't
                    > believe the few breaks tracks slapped into the center of the CD
                    really fit
                    > in. I judge a song and an album by how many times it can make me
                    look up
                    > and pay attention. It doesn't matter when it happens, it might even be
                    > the transition between tracks, but I have to be intrigued. If it's
                    really
                    > good it might even make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up or I
                    > might even get goose-bumps. There isn't a single moment on ADD that
                    makes
                    > me do that. It doesn't make me stop and think, it doesn't make me
                    want to
                    > get up and dance, it doesn't bring a smile to my face when that one
                    > brilliant moment happens... it's just background noise, elevator music.
                    > It's there but only so there isn't silence. That's not brilliance in my
                    > opinion.
                    >

                    > > I still think that ADD p*sses over everything released in the last few
                    > > years
                    > > even MSF. MSF has its stand out tracks... but the different styles
                    > > incorporated into the album just doesn't do it for me.
                    > >
                    > > You even have to play Gravastar / VN / KYE / We are in control/
                    Marrakech.

                    > > or OoTD / I'm still awake / True to form / et al depending on what
                    mood
                    > > you're in!
                    > >
                    > > and then Blackout sticks out like a sore thumb at the end?? (I
                    good track,
                    > > but not in keeping with the album)
                    >
                    > I've never understood why everybody says Blackout doesn't fit? I
                    love it,
                    > I think it fits in nicely as a finisher. All of these semi-depressing
                    > male vocals wash away into Kirsty's ethereal voice. It's a good
                    finisher
                    > dammit. Then again, I also really appreciate good use of
                    > juxtapositioning, and I think that's what MSF was all about. However, I
                    > think there was still a good thread of brooding that made it's way
                    through
                    > every track (even the three that SHOULD NOT have been on the album
                    because
                    > they were already released prior.)
                    >
                    > Dan

                    Hybrid News, Gig Dates and much more...
                    http://www.hybrid-group.com

                    http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                  • Oddball
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 18, 2004
                      Sorry to butt in. One thing I'd like to mention is that it would be nice to
                      hear what Hybrid can do with some other orchestral music. Not just strings
                      but woodwinds, brass etc.

                    • G3K
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 18, 2004
                        ADD = Airdrawndagger (Sasha's artist album, of course)

                        G3K
> [...]
                        > > male vocals wash away into Kirsty's ethereal voice. It's a good
                        > finisher
                        > > dammit. Then again, I also really appreciate good use of
                        > > juxtapositioning, and I think that's what MSF was all about. However, I
                        > > think there was still a good thread of brooding that made it's way
                        > through
                        > > every track (even the three that SHOULD NOT have been on the album
                        > because
                        > > they were already released prior.)
                        > >
                        > > Dan
                        >

                        > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        >
                        > Hybrid News, Gig Dates and much more...
                        > http://www.hybrid-group.com
                        >
                        > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                        >

                        > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        >
                        > Hybrid News, Gig Dates and much more...
                        > http://www.hybrid-group.com

                      • Antti Mutta
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 19, 2004
                          Yeah and xylophone, drums and trombone! Or maybe they could experiment with
                          sitar or harmonica? What about bagpipes? The possibilites are limitless! =D

                          -antti

                          > Sorry to butt in. One thing I'd like to mention is that it would be nice
                          > hear what Hybrid can do with some other orchestral music. Not just strings
                          > but woodwinds, brass etc.
                        • Alan Duval