[Hybrid] Re: Hybrid news and release dates

  • Alan Duval
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
      Speaking of DeConstruction, and referring back to an earlier
      conversation about live orchestra in dance music, I wondered what
      your thoughts were, Vince, on Brothers in Rhythm and their input into
      Kylie Minogue's 'Confide in Me' (Late August, '94), those strings
      sound live to me.

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "vinnie970" <vinnie97@n...> wrote:
      AD> And when did DeConstruction dissolve leaving WoW label-less, and
      how long have they been on Distinct'ive? Compared to, say, Hybrid?

      1.) late 2000.
      2.) 3 years
      3.) 8 years? :/
    • vinnie970
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5, 2004
        Upon a quick listen, I'd concur that they do. Do they not appear in
        the original "Confide In Me?" The Master Mix has a nice downtempo
        appeal ala Massive Attack.

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Duval" <propellerheadcase@h...>

      • andrewcotterill@blueyonder.co.uk
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2004

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2004
            They do appear in the original, which BiR wrote and produced for/with
            Kylie. My point being that the music would (I think) fall under the
            definition of electronic dance music and was released in late '94,
            having been written earlier that year - so did BiR/Kylie beat
            Propellerheads/Massive Attack/Way Out West/Hybrid to the punch on
            the 'strings in electronic dance' bit?

            Obviously, at 107BPM (IIRC) it is more akin to MA than WoW or Hybrid,
            but it gives one pause for thought, no?

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2004
              If you're alluding to Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy," that was
              released circa '91, so they still have the upper hand as far as
              original "electronic meets classical" pieces are concerned. WOW did it
              in '94 when they sampled a clarinet solo ("Music For Libraries"). ;)

              wrote:
              > They do appear in the original, which BiR wrote and produced for/with
              > Kylie. My point being that the music would (I think) fall under the
              > definition of electronic dance music and was released in late '94,
              > having been written earlier that year - so did BiR/Kylie beat
              > Propellerheads/Massive Attack/Way Out West/Hybrid to the punch on
              > the 'strings in electronic dance' bit?
              >
              > Obviously, at 107BPM (IIRC) it is more akin to MA than WoW or Hybrid,
              > but it gives one pause for thought, no?
            • Thomas Touzimsky
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 8, 2004
                > WOW did it in '94 when they sampled a clarinet solo ("Music For
                Libraries"). ;)

                If sampling a clarinet in an electronic track is a point, I'd like to
                throw in the KLF's "3 a.m. eternal" in its original form, released in
                1989 on 005T, part of the Pure Trance series. Clarinet was played by Zuy
                Khiem back in those days and appeared again in the well-known stadium
                house version released two years later.

                ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?
              • Tom
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2004
                  It's very cheezy but I also liked the classical meets electronic breakdown at
                  the end of 1993's "BKS - Do It Again Vivaldi!"

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 9, 2004
                    OK, fine, a small portion of the orchestra got knabbed (figurativey
                    speaking) too.

                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Touzimsky" <touzimsky@w...>

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 9, 2004
                      And I would say it's a point especially if it's your main hook.