RE: [Hybrid] Re: Hybrid news and release dates

  • Chilvers, Simon
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 23 7:06 AM
      Vinnie said:

      >Wow, and that leaves next to no room for any other artist releases. I
      >think they should rename the label Hybridistinctive.

      Dude.... easy on the Hybrid Bashing!!!

      Richard Ford played out the a few really nice tracks yesterday on his
      show... a new Way Out West (I've forgotten the name of it already.... but it
      is the very last track he plays if you are looking for it when listing to
      the shows archives!!) Sounded really nice and I'd love to know who the
      vocalist is off it...... (Help Vince?)

      And may I just add...... How good was the Satoshi Tomei mix of Higher than a
      skyscraper!!!!...... Awesome!!!

      Also..... Had an excellent night friday night...... Higher than a skycraper
      was awesome..... (they played a version more akin to the twitch and sweat
      mix rather than a full on original version).... It also sounded like they
      had played around with the arrangement of True to form as well.... made it
      sound like alot tighter and far more dirtier than I've ever heard them play
      it!

      Also..... one more thing...... Don't get me wrong.... I really like Adam,
      I've spoken to him a few times and he always says hello when he see's
      me..... but am I the only one who cringes when he throws his guitar about,
      and tries to look as though he can play it above his head?? I just cower at
      the sheer cheesiness of it??

      Cheers

      Si
    • vinnie970
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 24 4:11 AM
        Simon, it's not Hybrid bashing, per se'. It just irks me to see how
        Hybrid always seem to get served with the choicest Distinctive dishes.
        Compilations, merchandise, etc...yet there are other artists who may
        be just as deserving who just get the bare minimum. (ie. I've been
        waiting for WOW T-shirts for a few years now. :\ Also, A WOW "RAAPB"
        is long overdue...w/ 100+ remixes to their credit, it couldn't be more
        right).

        > Dude.... easy on the Hybrid Bashing!!!
        >
        > Richard Ford played out the a few really nice tracks yesterday on his
        > show... a new Way Out West (I've forgotten the name of it
        already.... but it
        > is the very last track he plays if you are looking for it when
        listing to
        > the shows archives!!) Sounded really nice and I'd love to know who the
        > vocalist is off it...... (Help Vince?)
      • Alan Duval
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 27 6:30 AM
          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "vinnie970" <vinnie97@n...> wrote:
          Simon, it's not Hybrid bashing, per se'. It just irks me to see how
          Hybrid always seem to get served with the choicest Distinctive
          dishes. Compilations, merchandise, etc... yet there are other
          artists who may be just as deserving who just get the bare minimum.
          (ie. I've been waiting for WOW T-shirts for a few years now. :\

          AD> And when did DeConstruction dissolve leaving WoW label-less, and
          how long have they been on Distinct'ive? Compared to, say, Hybrid?

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "vinnie970" <vinnie97@n...> wrote:
          Also, A WOW "RAAPB" is long overdue...w/ 100+ remixes to their
          credit, it couldn't be more right).

          AD> I couldn't agree more, I'd love to see a legitimate WoW RaAPb -
          as opposed to those eBay ones from Russia - however, getting
          licensing sorted out for such compilations is tricky at the best of
          times, how much trickier would it be when your previous label is no
          more?
        • vinnie970
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 29 1:54 AM
            > AD> And when did DeConstruction dissolve leaving WoW label-less, and
            > how long have they been on Distinct'ive? Compared to, say, Hybrid?

            1.) late 2000.
            2.) 3 years
            3.) 8 years? :/

            > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "vinnie970" <vinnie97@n...> wrote:
            > Also, A WOW "RAAPB" is long overdue...w/ 100+ remixes to their
            > credit, it couldn't be more right).
            >
            > AD> I couldn't agree more, I'd love to see a legitimate WoW RaAPb -
            > as opposed to those eBay ones from Russia - however, getting
            > licensing sorted out for such compilations is tricky at the best of
            > times, how much trickier would it be when your previous label is no
            > more?
          • vinnie970
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 29 1:55 AM
              Forgot to address this part. Not that difficult if we're referring to
              remixes but original work could be a problem (as well as the remixes
              for BMG, I suppose).

              > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "vinnie970" <vinnie97@n...> wrote:
              > Also, A WOW "RAAPB" is long overdue...w/ 100+ remixes to their
              > credit, it couldn't be more right).
              >
              > AD> I couldn't agree more, I'd love to see a legitimate WoW RaAPb -
              > as opposed to those eBay ones from Russia - however, getting
              > licensing sorted out for such compilations is tricky at the best of
              > times, how much trickier would it be when your previous label is no
              > more?
            • Alan Duval
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
                Speaking of DeConstruction, and referring back to an earlier
                conversation about live orchestra in dance music, I wondered what
                your thoughts were, Vince, on Brothers in Rhythm and their input into
                Kylie Minogue's 'Confide in Me' (Late August, '94), those strings
                sound live to me.

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2004
                  Upon a quick listen, I'd concur that they do. Do they not appear in
                  the original "Confide In Me?" The Master Mix has a nice downtempo
                  appeal ala Massive Attack.

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Duval" <propellerheadcase@h...>

                • andrewcotterill@blueyonder.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2004

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 7, 2004
                      They do appear in the original, which BiR wrote and produced for/with
                      Kylie. My point being that the music would (I think) fall under the
                      definition of electronic dance music and was released in late '94,
                      having been written earlier that year - so did BiR/Kylie beat
                      Propellerheads/Massive Attack/Way Out West/Hybrid to the punch on
                      the 'strings in electronic dance' bit?

                      Obviously, at 107BPM (IIRC) it is more akin to MA than WoW or Hybrid,
                      but it gives one pause for thought, no?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 7, 2004
                        If you're alluding to Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy," that was
                        released circa '91, so they still have the upper hand as far as
                        original "electronic meets classical" pieces are concerned. WOW did it
                        in '94 when they sampled a clarinet solo ("Music For Libraries"). ;)

                        wrote:
                        > They do appear in the original, which BiR wrote and produced for/with
                        > Kylie. My point being that the music would (I think) fall under the
                        > definition of electronic dance music and was released in late '94,
                        > having been written earlier that year - so did BiR/Kylie beat
                        > Propellerheads/Massive Attack/Way Out West/Hybrid to the punch on
                        > the 'strings in electronic dance' bit?
                        >
                        > Obviously, at 107BPM (IIRC) it is more akin to MA than WoW or Hybrid,
                        > but it gives one pause for thought, no?
                      • Thomas Touzimsky
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 8, 2004
                          > WOW did it in '94 when they sampled a clarinet solo ("Music For
                          Libraries"). ;)

                          If sampling a clarinet in an electronic track is a point, I'd like to
                          throw in the KLF's "3 a.m. eternal" in its original form, released in
                          1989 on 005T, part of the Pure Trance series. Clarinet was played by Zuy
                          Khiem back in those days and appeared again in the well-known stadium
                          house version released two years later.

                          ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

                          A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?
                        • Tom
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 8, 2004
                            It's very cheezy but I also liked the classical meets electronic breakdown at
                            the end of 1993's "BKS - Do It Again Vivaldi!"

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 9, 2004
                              OK, fine, a small portion of the orchestra got knabbed (figurativey
                              speaking) too.

                              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Touzimsky" <touzimsky@w...>

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 9, 2004
                                And I would say it's a point especially if it's your main hook.