[Hybrid] Re: Hybrid / Sasha @ Fabric

  • ally@hybrid-group.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
      Completely agree. I love Sasha's CDs...I think maybe I don't like
      seeing him DJ because I've never heard him play in a smaller club.

      I've said before that I think Hybrid's sets are far better in more
      intimate venues. I loose interest in some of their Fabric sets quite
      quickly. However, their smaller club sets (and radio sets) are on a
      totally different level.

      Ally

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "AP - Nick Bower" <nick.bower@a...>
      wrote:
      > Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating Sasha - far from it. I think
      his CD
      > mixes and own material are superb, however the few times I've seen
      him
      > play large club DJ sets I just don't get the same buzz from them.
      Seems
      > quite absurd really as you'd think the atmosphere would be in
      immense in
      > a large venue....with the tunes to match....but its not always the
      case.
      > I think a lot of DJs perform much better in smaller, more intimate
      > venues - and I've seen Sasha benefit from this too, he's only human
      > afterall.
    • Thomas Touzimsky
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
        > I've said before that I think Hybrid's sets are far better in more
        > intimate venues. I loose interest in some of their Fabric sets quite
        > quickly. However, their smaller club sets (and radio sets) are on a
        > totally different level.

        My living room is quite intimate, so if you could persuade them to do a
        small session here...? :-)

        ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

        A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?
      • Nick
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
          > I've said before that I think Hybrid's sets are far better in more
          > intimate venues. I loose interest in some of their Fabric sets quite
          > quickly. However, their smaller club sets (and radio sets) are on a
          > totally different level.
          >
          > Ally

          Strange you should say that, because I haven't really enjoyed more than 10
          minutes of the various Hybrid DJ sets (all at Fabric). But the radio/MOS
          etc sets are all absolutely wicked (I especially like Ampitheatre and
          World's Greatest DJ sets)...

          Are their Fabric sets different because it's Fabric? Or is it because
          Fabric is a large venue...?
        • AP - Nick Bower
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
            I agree - their smaller dj sets are usually electric, but think their
            Fabric sets are good too....just to experience the big room breaks sound
            that you can't really emulate in a small venue. Imagine the first time I
            heard Hybrid drop Amb's 'Romeo' in Fabric for the first time...(it's a
            tune that just *begs* to be played on a good soundsystem and Fabric has
            one of the best club soundsystems I've heard, in my opinion)... the
            sound cut away and in came that mammoth, imposing string section. When
            the beat dropped the room went utterly mental.

            :)

          • simon@digitalartists.co.uk
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
              I agree, i have seen him dj many times before and its been bliss.. which is
              why i was so shocked that i did not get that same feelign with this set.. onyl
              bad set i ahve heard so far and its hard to describe why...

              but as nick sad.. he is human after all.. god knows every dj has a bad day,
              and if this is as bad as sashas sets get then hes laughing...

            • simon@digitalartists.co.uk
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
                I agree their radio sets are better , but i have never classed the room they
                play in at fabric as a large room? I always thought of fabric as being 3
                medium-small sized rooms.. maybe i need my eyes testing

                :)

                Quoting Nick <hybrid@...>:

                > > I've said before that I think Hybrid's sets are far better in more
                > > intimate venues. I loose interest in some of their Fabric sets quite
                > > quickly. However, their smaller club sets (and radio sets) are on a
                > > totally different level.
                > >
                > > Ally
                >
                > Strange you should say that, because I haven't really enjoyed more than 10
                > minutes of the various Hybrid DJ sets (all at Fabric). But the radio/MOS
                > etc sets are all absolutely wicked (I especially like Ampitheatre and
                > World's Greatest DJ sets)...
                >
                > Are their Fabric sets different because it's Fabric? Or is it because
                > Fabric is a large venue...?
              • AP - Nick Bower
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
                  Well, it depends what you're usuing as a benchmark for size, Simon. Both
                  Room 2 and Room 3 in Fabric, where Hybrid have played are way bigger
                  than some of the other recent venues that they have played in!!

                  Two examples of London venues that I've attended within the last few
                  months:

                  The Key - Kings Cross - it's a tiny club with a tiny dancefloor
                  The Distinct'ive Xmas party - Windsor Castle pub (basically it was an
                  upstairs room as a dancefloor!!)

                  Both of these dj sets rocked though...

                  :)

                  Nick

                • ally@hybrid-group.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
                    Jaysus Simon, which clubs do you usually go to?

                    Room 3 is small, Room 2 is medium/large and Room 1 is large (in my
                    opinion).

                    I'm sure there are bigger clubs about, but I would say that Fabric
                    is quite a big venue.

                    You need to get yourself to some much smaller, personal clubs (not that I'm knocking Fabric) :)

                    Ally

                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, simon@d... wrote:
                    > I agree their radio sets are better , but i have never classed
                    the room they
                    > play in at fabric as a large room? I always thought of fabric as
                    being 3
                    > medium-small sized rooms.. maybe i need my eyes testing
                    >
                    > :)
                  • Daniel Craig
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 6, 2004
                      I dunno, maybe it's not the fact that more intimate venus themselves are
                      the problem. If somebody, anybody, plays at a "super club" or a rather
                      large and popular place then you will tend to attract people who are
                      there to be cool which in turn seems to bleed away the enjoyment of
                      everybody else. At smaller places, you tend to get, first, people who
                      are familiar with the place and are there because they like the
                      pub/venue/whatever and support the people there, plus you're more likely
                      to get hardcore fans, such as you guys, who will follow them t the
                      smaller places, which makes for a much more positive vibe all around.

                      From first hand experience I've only seen Hybrid DJ once, and from that
                      one time my only feeling would be that they suck. However, I went back
                      and thought about the set and it was really good. The problem was we
                      were at the biggest venue electronic musicians can play in Albuquerque,
                      but the crowd was there to see Moby, and I'm of the opinion that the
                      majority of Albuquerqueans in general do NOT react favorably to anybody
                      and anything they are not expecting or haven't been spoonfed. In this
                      case, two guys playing records instead of Moby performing Southside just
                      confused them, and they weren't into it. So the show was a flop. The
                      other problem was everybody there to see Moby was just there because it
                      was cool to like him at the time. It's easy to tell when everybody has
                      blank faces the majority of the concert the second anything was played
                      that wasn't off of Go, they were just fair weather fans.

                      On the other hand, three excellent concerts I went to were all in
                      different venues. When I sw Uberzone, at the same place Hybrid DJ'ed,
                      the crowd went wild. Everybody was opening little pockets of space for
                      each person to take turns breaking or doing their own little dance, and
                      no matter how bad you sucked everybody was willing to cheer you on and
                      go nuts. I saw BT the first time at a decent sized club in Phoenix.
                      The sound system sucked ass, but the entire group of people and
                      surrounding balcony was filled past capacity and everybody around teh
                      place was singing in unison to every song he played... Remember,
                      Dreaming, everything. It was great. And probably the msot exciting
                      time was when I first saw The Echoing Green live at, of all places, and
                      State Fair. It was open air in the middle of a massive food court,
                      completely free for anybody who wanted to participate. But up at the
                      front was a massive collective of fans who were all into the band and
                      didn't care about anything else and it was just a massive good time.

                      Concerning Sasha, well, I've only heard him play once during the Delta
                      Heavy tour with Digweed along. My brother said the night before when he
                      saw them in Phoenix Sasha played a lot of boring tribal prog, but
                      Digweed busted out some breaks and atmospheric stuff and really opened
                      the place up. In Albuquerque, Digweed's set consisted of hours of ,
                      Bwaaaaaaaaaa bwaaaaaaa bwaaaaaaaaa.... it was f*cking boring. Sasha
                      played some light breaks and more melodic tunes and saved the night. He
                      wasn't perfect, but I think depending on the night, their mood, and the
                      venue people will just play differently. I definitely wish I had bene
                      in Phoenix the night prior. LOL

                      Dan
                    • simon@digitalartists.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 9, 2004
                        yeah i agree with both you and nick, not going to say which clubs i USED to
                        goto :)

                        Things changed about a year ago when i went to fabric to see freeland for my
                        mates birthday (i was not really into breaks until then) , most people i know
                        dont go clubbing that often anymore :(

                        and when they do draging them to clubs is a mare... but if anyone has any
                        clubs to recomend for prog/breaks nights then let em know....and i'll start
                        twisting some arms

                        :)