Hybrid heard on TV show "rides"

  • Chaz Schlueter
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3, 2004
      I was watching Rides on TLC....the learning channel here in US..and the
      finakl segment when they were racing the ride they had created around the
      race track to Hybrids "we are in control"...

      obviously some prodcuder somewhere "gets it"...about Hybrid needing to be
      out there.

      I think it was the early release version I stumbled across because it had no
      vocals...

      chaz
    • Paul Dixon
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
        Why on Earth do most people think Hybrid needs to be "out there"?

        I can think of a better way to "cheapen" that Hybrid sound than to
        use it for getting ratings for the television medium.

        Better would be to approch Hybrid to do the soundtrack especially
        for the programme.

        The publishing company needs to be ditched/shot/burried-alive/put in
        acid/locked-up and the key thrown away*

        *delete as appropirate.

        And yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder about this.

      • ally@hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
          I understand where you're coming from. However, I don't necessarily
          think that having their music on trailers etc. cheapens Hybrid.

          I usually have a problem with it when the tv peeps 'edit' the track.
          They cut it all wrong and it sounds terrible. I haven't heard it
          happen that much...so I don't generally mind Hybrid's music being on
          tv.

          Ally

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Dixon" <groovology@n...>
          wrote:
          > Why on Earth do most people think Hybrid needs to be "out there"?
          >
          > I can think of a better way to "cheapen" that Hybrid sound than to
          > use it for getting ratings for the television medium.
          >
          > Better would be to approch Hybrid to do the soundtrack especially
          > for the programme.
          >
          > The publishing company needs to be ditched/shot/burried-alive/put
          in
          > acid/locked-up and the key thrown away*
          >
          > *delete as appropirate.
          >
          > And yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder about this.
        • Thomas Touzimsky
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
            > I can think of a better way to "cheapen"
            > that Hybrid sound than to use it for
            > getting ratings for the television medium.

            Be glad for what you have. I would be happy if I could simply pick up
            their releases in my local store...

            ..::// Thomas Touzimsky

            A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?
          • Nick
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
              I agree - I hear Massive Attack as backing soundtracks all over the place
              and no-one can argue that you can EVER cheapen them.(possibly exluding 100th
              Window ;-)

              > I understand where you're coming from. However, I don't necessarily
              > think that having their music on trailers etc. cheapens Hybrid.
              >
              > I usually have a problem with it when the tv peeps 'edit' the track.
              > They cut it all wrong and it sounds terrible. I haven't heard it
              > happen that much...so I don't generally mind Hybrid's music being on
              > tv.
              >
              > Ally
              >

              > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Dixon" <groovology@n...>
              > wrote:
              > > Why on Earth do most people think Hybrid needs to be "out there"?
              > >
              > > I can think of a better way to "cheapen" that Hybrid sound than to
              > > use it for getting ratings for the television medium.
              > >
              > > Better would be to approch Hybrid to do the soundtrack especially
              > > for the programme.
              > >
              > > The publishing company needs to be ditched/shot/burried-alive/put
              > in
              > > acid/locked-up and the key thrown away*
              > >
              > > *delete as appropirate.
              > >
              > > And yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder about this.
            • neil mitchell-goodson
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
                Sky One are currently caning the Unkle remix of Ian Browns " F.E.A.R".

                And, more importantly, I was introducded to W.O.W via a TV advert - for a fruit juice or something if I recall correctly, backed with 'The Gift'.

                I enjoy hearing Hybrid, and other 'breaks' artists on TV ads and trailers. Makes me feel like less of a minority amongst my philistine friends!
              • simon@digitalartists.co.uk
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
                  i agree, nice to see (or hear) "decent" music back ads... although i supose it
                  depends what the ads for....

                  i could not imagine something like hybrid sounding good on an advert for tea
                  bags

                  LOL

                  :S

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
                    ok a little off topic

                    but i was going to see Hybrid dj at fabric on friday 30th, but got let down by
                    my mates (buggers)

                    so i went on saturday to see Sasha (really like his cds and seen him dj a few
                    times)

                    Did anyone else go? what did they think... ? I personaly thought he was a
                    little week... a few wicked tracks.... but quite a flat set overall

                    like i said.. a bit off track.. but i need to vent this somewhere!

                    :)
                  • ally@hybrid-group.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
                      I didn't go, but I'll give my 2p anyway! :)

                      I've seen him DJ a few times and I can honestly say that it's like
                      watching paint dry. Don't get me wrong, I love his tracks...I just
                      think his DJ'ing is uninspired and dull.

                      He's a popular bloke though, so I guess his DJ'ing style appeals to
                      some.

                      Ally

                    • simon@digitalartists.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
                        yeah he played a few crackers.. but i ended up spending the night in all the
                        other rooms (which was cool)

                        I think most of his fan base is people who rememeber some of his older (and
                        much more inspiring sets)... hes such a big dj that people like his status and
                        like him.. just becuase hes so big.....

                        thats what i think any how....

                        still his Global underground cds are all good ...esp the Ibiza one .. with
                        BT's FIBONACCI SEQUENCE on TRACK and a half!

                        Quoting "ally@..." <ally@...>:

                        > I didn't go, but I'll give my 2p anyway! :)
                        >
                        > I've seen him DJ a few times and I can honestly say that it's like
                        > watching paint dry. Don't get me wrong, I love his tracks...I just
                        > think his DJ'ing is uninspired and dull.
                        >
                        > He's a popular bloke though, so I guess his DJ'ing style appeals to
                        > some.
                        >
                        > Ally
                      • Antti Mutta
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
                          What? 100th Windows is their most consistent effort yet! Matter of taste, of
                          course =)

                          -antti

                          > I agree - I hear Massive Attack as backing soundtracks all over the place
                          > and no-one can argue that you can EVER cheapen them.(possibly exluding
                          100th
                          > Window ;-)
                        • vinnie970
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 5, 2004
                            It sounds to me that you guys heard a completely different set than
                            the majority of the people in this thread on GU:
                            http://pub129.ezboard.com/fglobalundergroundfrm25.showMessage?
                            topicID=24620.topic He varied it with pumping prog, tech and breaks,
                            so doesn't seem to be a boring set by any account and the fella' has
                            some of the most seamless, flawless mixing on the planet, bar none.

                            On all accounts, it looks it was a night to remember, especially with
                            3 new WOW tunes showcased, and they seemed to be the tunes of the
                            night if the commentary is anything to go by! ;)

                            VH.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 9, 2004
                              looks like people disagree with you there Paul.

                              any exposure to new people is good exposure if the music is quality...like Hybrid...

                              THEY DESERVE THE EXPOSUE/REVENUE THAT COME WITH THIER HARD WORK. It
                              certainly DOSESNT cheapen it...
                              Chaz

                              --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Dixon" <groovology@n...> wrote:
                              > Why on Earth do most people think Hybrid needs to be "out there"?
                              >
                              > I can think of a better way to "cheapen" that Hybrid sound than to
                              > use it for getting ratings for the television medium.
                              >
                              > Better would be to approch Hybrid to do the soundtrack especially
                              > for the programme.
                              >
                              > The publishing company needs to be ditched/shot/burried-alive/put in
                              > acid/locked-up and the key thrown away*
                              >
                              > *delete as appropirate.
                              >
                              > And yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder about this.
                              >

                              > >I was watching Rides on TLC....the learning channel here in US..and the
                              > >finakl segment when they were racing the ride they had created around the
                              > >race track to Hybrids "we are in control"...
                              > >
                              > >obviously some prodcuder somewhere "gets it"...about Hybrid needing to be
                              > >out there.
                              > >
                              > >I think it was the early release version I stumbled across because it had no
                              > >vocals...
                              > >
                              > >chaz
                            • James Wilson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 11, 2004
                                I beg to differ I beleive that if Hybrid were to get into mainstream it
                                would ruin their sound, they would become to possessed (dont care if i spelt
                                it wrong) with making money and start producing cheaply manufactured
                                commercial dance music like you see in the charts every week (take the
                                present no.1 for example), as opposed to now as they're continuing to make
                                stylish music without worrying about chart success. Lets face it chart music
                                nowaday is awful, would we really want hybrid to be amongst the likes of
                                Gareth Gates etc.

                                >looks like people disagree with you there Paul.
                                >
                                >any exposure to new people is good exposure if the music is quality...like
                                >Hybrid...
                                >
                                >THEY DESERVE THE EXPOSUE/REVENUE THAT COME WITH THIER HARD WORK. It
                                >certainly DOSESNT cheapen it...
                                >Chaz
                              • Alan Duval
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 12, 2004
                                  Speakin' of...

                                  Hybrid track on TV promo for 'The West Wing' here in little ol' NZ
                                  :-D

                                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Chaz Schlueter" <chazsch@b...>
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 12, 2004
                                    Hybrid becoming mainstream doesn't mean they would change their
                                    music style.

                                    I don't think Mike and Chris would ever change their sound for the
                                    sake of mainstream success, it's simply not them.

                                    Ally

                                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James Wilson" <jwilson1500@h...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > I beg to differ I beleive that if Hybrid were to get into
                                    mainstream it
                                    > would ruin their sound, they would become to possessed (dont care
                                    if i spelt
                                    > it wrong) with making money and start producing cheaply
                                    manufactured
                                    > commercial dance music like you see in the charts every week (take
                                    the
                                    > present no.1 for example), as opposed to now as they're continuing
                                    to make
                                    > stylish music without worrying about chart success. Lets face it
                                    chart music
                                    > nowaday is awful, would we really want hybrid to be amongst the
                                    likes of
                                    > Gareth Gates etc.
                                  • Chaz Schlueter
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 12, 2004
                                      well I beg to differ with you on two point.

                                      1) I do believe Mike Chris etc ARE concerned with chart sucess because it is a money
                                      making venture and

                                      2) I do NOT believe Mike and Chris would become too possed with with making money.

                                      they are driven...now...and I dont believe that would change much WHEN they become
                                      more mainstream/accepted.

                                      Come on..they are very down to earth (esp Chris) and I KNOW THAT THEY WOULD NEVER,
                                      DID I SAY NEVER, I MEANT NEV-ER...MAKE CHEAPLY MANUFACTURED MUSIC.

                                      Chaz

                                      not to be rude, but have you ever met them?

                                      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James Wilson" <jwilson1500@h...> wrote:
                                      > I beg to differ I beleive that if Hybrid were to get into mainstream it
                                      > would ruin their sound, they would become to possessed (dont care if i spelt
                                      > it wrong) with making money and start producing cheaply manufactured
                                      > commercial dance music like you see in the charts every week (take the
                                      > present no.1 for example), as opposed to now as they're continuing to make
                                      > stylish music without worrying about chart success. Lets face it chart music
                                      > nowaday is awful, would we really want hybrid to be amongst the likes of
                                      > Gareth Gates etc.
                                    • James Wilson
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 12, 2004
                                        Yeah, i guess so

                                        >Hybrid becoming mainstream doesn't mean they would change their
                                        >music style.
                                        >
                                        >I don't think Mike and Chris would ever change their sound for the
                                        >sake of mainstream success, it's simply not them.
                                        >
                                        >Ally
                                        >
                                        >--- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James Wilson" <jwilson1500@h...>
                                        >wrote:
                                        > > I beg to differ I beleive that if Hybrid were to get into
                                        >mainstream it
                                        > > would ruin their sound, they would become to possessed (dont care
                                        >if i spelt
                                        > > it wrong) with making money and start producing cheaply
                                        >manufactured
                                        > > commercial dance music like you see in the charts every week (take
                                        >the
                                        > > present no.1 for example), as opposed to now as they're continuing
                                        >to make
                                        > > stylish music without worrying about chart success. Lets face it
                                        >chart music
                                        > > nowaday is awful, would we really want hybrid to be amongst the
                                        >likes of
                                        > > Gareth Gates etc.
                                      • James Wilson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 13, 2004
                                          No I have never met them i hope to do so soon
                                          , but can i say i have the up most respect for them, I didn't mean to say
                                          that if they were i the charts, they would make poor music but, they would
                                          differ it to appeal to a wider market

                                          >From: "Chaz Schlueter" <chazsch@...>
                                          >To: HybridUK@yahoogroups.com
                                          >Subject: Re: [Hybrid] Hybrid heard on TV show "rides"
                                          >Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:56:55 -0000
                                          >
                                          >well I beg to differ with you on two point.
                                          >
                                          >1) I do believe Mike Chris etc ARE concerned with chart sucess because it
                                          >is a money
                                          >making venture and
                                          >
                                          >2) I do NOT believe Mike and Chris would become too possed with with making
                                          >money.
                                          >
                                          >they are driven...now...and I dont believe that would change much WHEN they
                                          >become
                                          >more mainstream/accepted.
                                          >
                                          >Come on..they are very down to earth (esp Chris) and I KNOW THAT THEY WOULD
                                          >NEVER,
                                          >DID I SAY NEVER, I MEANT NEV-ER...MAKE CHEAPLY MANUFACTURED MUSIC.
                                          >
                                          >Chaz
                                          >
                                          >not to be rude, but have you ever met them?
                                          >

                                          >--- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "James Wilson" <jwilson1500@h...> wrote:
                                          > > I beg to differ I beleive that if Hybrid were to get into mainstream it
                                          > > would ruin their sound, they would become to possessed (dont care if i
                                          >spelt
                                          > > it wrong) with making money and start producing cheaply manufactured
                                          > > commercial dance music like you see in the charts every week (take the
                                          > > present no.1 for example), as opposed to now as they're continuing to
                                          >make
                                          > > stylish music without worrying about chart success. Lets face it chart
                                          >music
                                          > > nowaday is awful, would we really want hybrid to be amongst the likes of
                                          > > Gareth Gates etc.

                                        • Alan Duval
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 14, 2004
                                            I've never understood that leap of logic: "Because they have gotten
                                            popular they will start to do music for the sake of being popular".
                                            How you figure? Look at David Bowie, if anything he's getting more
                                            weird and obscure as the years go by.