Googled

  • Ally Shuttleworth
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2001
      Deja.com has been bought by Google! (am I spreading old news?)

      ...and it's now pants. I used to use it to reply to Usenet messages etc. but
      you can only search now - not post.

      Anyway....while having a peek I found the following:

      http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=c4f74e4f03241369&
      thn=OT+Hybrid&seekd=999699830#999699830

      (you'll have to do two lines at a time - biiiiggg url)

      The posts were from August last year and were basically saying that Wide
      Angle wasn't up to much (!) and that Hybrid have disapeared up their own
      arses....?!!?

      Quite a few of us have met Hybrid - have you ever known them to be rude to
      you? I haven't heard anything and they were certainly more than lovely to
      me..... *shrug*

      I know it's 6 months later, but I still wanted to reply to the post....but I
      can't now. Thanks Google.
      Does anyone know how to get Usenet without going through your ISP?

      Cheers,

      Ally
    • Gen Kanai
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2001
        There's a list of free usenet news servers out there somewhere on the
        net. They're normally pretty busy and you're going way outside of your
        home ISP's network so the latency's a drag and whatnot.

        Forte Agent is the best newsreader I know of (Win32)

        Gen

        At 11:06 PM 2/12/01 +0000, Ally wrote:
        >Does anyone know how to get Usenet without going through your ISP?
      • Stu Bruise
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2001
          On 12 Feb 2001, at 23:06, Ally Shuttleworth wrote:

          > Does anyone know how to get
          > Usenet without going through your ISP?

          Try http://pubnews.netcom.net.uk/. Been using 'em for a few
          months and I've never had any problems (yet...).

          As far as newsreaders go, I'd recommend using Hamster to
          download news (http://home.knuut.de/tgl/own/hamtools.htm -- don't
          worry, the program's in English ;) and Xnews to read it
          (http://xnews.3dnews.net). It takes a wee bit of work to get it all up
          and running but it's worth it :)

          ~~stu