OT: request for help in getting a DJ for my wedding!

  • alexbealeuk
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2003
      Ally from the Hybrid-group.com website suggested I ask this Discussion site
      for some help... so if anyone can offer advice many thanks!

      I am getting married next year, and my fiancee and I absolutely love
      hybrid's music.

      Does anyone know of any DJs (able to DJ at a wedding in West Sussex)
      that would be able to play hybrid / BT / Way out West etc. (If they
      can play some of the sounds of Giles Peterson, 4 Hero and Nu'Yourican
      Soul as well that would be fantastic!!) We've trawled the net for
      DJs, but most are a bit too commercial for us (Disco Dave's).... and
      we really want something unique for our wedding.

      Any help, or advice would be most appreciated.

      Cheers
      Alex
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2003
        Alex, as a wedding DJ who also likes Hybrid, BT, Way Out West,
        PropellerHeads, ILS, Nuyorican Soul, Lemon 8 and so on let me just
        say that unless you can be sure that better than 50% of your guests
        are going to be REALLY into Hybrid, etc... it will not work the way
        you want it to. The sad fact is that pop is played at weddings (and
        any other function involving gatherings of people of disparate ages
        and backgrounds) because everyone knows it.

        As the lyrics to 'History Repeating' very accurately say:
        "Some people won't dance if they don't know who's singing"

        If there's no singing, even less people will dance. If all your
        guests are around your age and are into, for want of a better term,
        modern dance music, then cool, but most weddings involve parents,
        grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews and friends,
        and as such the only way to get a significant number of people
        dancing is to play stuff that a significant number of people know and
        enjoy.

        I've DJed weddings where the bride or groom has had tastes more in
        common with mine, but invariably when I've tried to cater to that the
        guests leave in droves. Heck, I had a groom who just wanted straight-
        up house music all night, but within 15 minutes of starting a woman
        in her mid/late 20s (a close friend of his), asked for 'Blame it on
        the Boogie'! And that was despite the fact that she actually liked
        the Latin-flavoured house I was dishing up (Naked Music and Afro-Art
        style :-)!

        If you find a DJ who'll do it for you, cool, but I would suggest
        that, in all likelihood, you'll end up with an awesome soundtrack to
        a very early night.

        To clarify, I'm in New Zealand, so I can't help - sorry.

        PS Yes, everybody, I fixed my PC, and I'm back.

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "alexbealeuk" <alexbealeuk@y...>