Re: [Hybrid] Synth question

  • Dave Peverley
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      > I'm still reading up on all of the Virus and Creamware DSP
      > stuff. In the mean time I was able to reproduce that chunky
      > bass sound with my Albino 32 softsynth. I just messed
      > around with the knobs until I got relatively close. I think
      > its all about the experimentation though. I'm sure there are
      > several synth/effect combinations that will work.

      Well, experimentation's great, but learning how to program
      analog synths is even better and reduces a lot of time wasted
      on random playing with knobs (!) - Two sources I'd recommend
      reading and learning several times :
      - Howard Scarr's synth programming book. Its actually a
      hands on manual targeted at Virus C series owners, but
      all the theory is sound, and the descriptions of classic
      synths are great. Most of it can be applied to other
      bits of kit. Its a downloadable pdf from www.access-music.de
      - Gordon Reids fantastic Synth Programming Secrets series
      that's been running every month in Sound on Sound. It is
      REALLY good and detailed, but not always that easy to
      follow. All back articles older than 6 months are available
      from www.sospubs.co.uk.

      There have also been articles in Future Music and Computer
      Music, but IMHO these have never been detailed or thorough
      enough to be worth spending time with...

      Hope that points you in a useful direction!

      ~Pev