Re: Hybrid Unofficial Site

  • Vince H.
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 25, 1999
      Yea, that's true indeed....the rarities are hard 2 come by. The guy who
      created it is an online friend of mine. Here's an email address you can
      reach him at: chad.harnish@...

      For anybody who likes Hybrid, I highly recommend Way out West. Not to get
      off-topic, but I always like 2 spread the good word about music, no matter
      who it originates from.

      Thanx 4 listening,

      Vince

      > Hi-ya Vince,
      >
      > Well - I just visited the URL you gave in your last post - good site!
      >
      > Trouble is, he said that you can get loads of remixes from the Distictive
      Records site...and you can't! I've had numerous e-mails back and forth with
      Distictive, but to no avail :-(

      > Who does the site anyway? No e-mail addy on it.
      >
      > Ally
      > "like Hotmail but faster and a lot better"
      > Carol Vorderman, The Mirror, writing about http://www.funmail.co.uk

    • Stuart Bruce
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 25, 1999
        On Sat 25 Sep, Vince H. wrote:
        > From: "Vince H." <vinnie97@...>
        >
        > Yea, that's true indeed....the rarities are hard 2 come by.

        Some of the Hybrid remixes on that site must have been pretty buried (if
        not completely unreleased), as a few of the singles listed in the
        "remix" section are singles I've already got, but for which I haven't
        got the Hybrid mix...

        Also, where would I find the Way Out West _dub_ of "If I Survive"?

        > For anybody who likes Hybrid, I highly recommend Way out West. Not to
        > get off-topic, but I always like 2 spread the good word about music,
        > no matter who it originates from.

        Is the Way Out West album really worth 15.99? To be honest I've been
        waiting for ages in the hope it would appear in a sale, but that's the
        fifth or sixth time it's been recommended to me, and since I've already
        got and love more than half a dozen of their remixes, maybe it's about
        time I stuck my neck out.

        Back on topic, though, a few general questions about Hybrid. Please
        excuse me if any of these are dumb or naive things to ask, though...

        Will/might Julee Cruise be joining Hybrid on the Musik tour (or any of
        their other live appearances) as a 'permanent' fourth member of the
        band? The photos in "Wide Angle" treat her as if she is, the photos on
        the web site mentioned earlier don't feature her. What has she done
        before, anyway?

        Has anyone on this list had any contact with the band themselves?

        What're the band's next plans? Another single?

        Erm... think that's all for now...

        Stuart.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 25, 1999
          > > Yea, that's true indeed....the rarities are hard 2 come by.
          >
          > Some of the Hybrid remixes on that site must have been pretty buried (if
          > not completely unreleased), as a few of the singles listed in the
          > "remix" section are singles I've already got, but for which I haven't
          > got the Hybrid mix...

          Yea, for example, several different releases can be found of several of
          those singles (ie. BT's "Godspeed," as I'm sure u already know). Others are
          officially unreleased and can be found only on the occasional white label
          circling the industry. It's a sad truth that several of the remixes are
          nearly impossible to find. :( I have quite a few, if anybody would be
          interested in some of the mp3's, I'd be glad to oblige. Unfortunately, I
          don't have an FTP server 2 at my disposal at this time.

          > Also, where would I find the Way Out West _dub_ of "If I Survive"?

          The Dub can only be found on one of the limited Distinctive promos. I
          ordered the 12" from www.juno.co.uk , and they got it to me right away.
          Strangely enough, they've already removed it from their database, so I would
          guess it's numbers are limited. :/ I don't have an mp3 of it, but would be
          willing to encode it, if anyone's interested.

          > > For anybody who likes Hybrid, I highly recommend Way out West. Not to
          > > get off-topic, but I always like 2 spread the good word about music,
          > > no matter who it originates from.
          >
          > Is the Way Out West album really worth 15.99? To be honest I've been
          > waiting for ages in the hope it would appear in a sale, but that's the
          > fifth or sixth time it's been recommended to me, and since I've already
          > got and love more than half a dozen of their remixes, maybe it's about
          > time I stuck my neck out.

          The Way out West album is my favorite album from this decade, so if my prior
          recommendations have been the least valid for you, I advise gobbling it up.
          ;) I can describe it in so many words as one lush package combining the
          best in funky breaks, progressive house, and progressive trance. It
          includes all the hits we've come to know and love (which are worth the
          purchase of the album alone in my opinion ;), and a slew of unreleased gems.

          There is a serious lack of anything WOW on the web. I hope 2 fill that gap
          w/ an offical-looking unoffical page someday soon, w/ discography,
          multimedia, news, and a bulletin board section, among others.

          > Back on topic, though, a few general questions about Hybrid. Please
          > excuse me if any of these are dumb or naive things to ask, though...
          >
          > Will/might Julee Cruise be joining Hybrid on the Musik tour (or any of
          > their other live appearances) as a 'permanent' fourth member of the
          > band? The photos in "Wide Angle" treat her as if she is, the photos on
          > the web site mentioned earlier don't feature her. What has she done
          > before, anyway?

          From what I understand, Julee has been touring w/ the band, and I think she
          will continue to do so, at least for the time being. I'm not sure about the
          status of her permanence. Is she expendable? probably, there are other
          starving vocalists. ;) The only previous work she's widely (no pun
          intended) known for is her vocal work on the opening/closing credits to the
          80's series Twin Peaks.

          > Has anyone on this list had any contact with the band themselves?

          I wish. I'm waiting for them 2 infiltrate America. Nobody has a clue over
          here. ;)

          > What're the band's next plans? Another single?

          They're planning on releasing 2 more albums in the near future. One will be
          a club-oriented album for the DJ's, and I am unsure of the caliber of the
          2nd. Possibly Wide Angle Pt. 2 material?

          If you want more information, Ministry of Sound has an online interview for
          your consumption. It's linked from the home page of
          www.ministryofsound.co.uk Make sure u have Windows Media player, as it is
          their preferred method of transmission. You'll be furnished w/ 16 minutes
          of information from the band themselves....even Julee is included here as an
          official member of Hybrid, so maybe she's permanent? Time will tell...

          > Erm... think that's all for now...
          >
          > Stuart.

          Vince
        • ally@xxxxx.xx.xx
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 28, 1999
            >reach him at: chad.harnish@...

            Brilliant, you're a star! :-)

            >For anybody who likes Hybrid, I highly recommend Way out West.

            Yeah - they've done some good stuff - I like their remix of 'If I Survive' too.

            I think it's time for a trip down to HMV tomorrow to purchase the album (along with Leftfield's).

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 28, 1999
              >I have quite a few, if anybody would be
              >interested in some of the mp3's, I'd be glad to oblige.

              Yes please!!!!!!!!

              What's the best way of getting them from you? A mate e-mailed me quite a few the other say and they came out fine - not sure about your mail connection though...?

              >> Also, where would I find the Way Out West _dub_ of �If I Survive�?

              I don't have an mp3 of it, but would be
              >willing to encode it, if anyone's interested.

              *ally pleads*

              >> Has anyone on this list had any contact with the
              >> band themselves?

              When I went to Creamfields, I met several people who knew the band...they weren't joking either - Hybrid were soeaking with them, right next to me. I was too busy gawping to say anything! Doh!!

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 1999
                On Wed 29 Sep, ally@... wrote:
                > > For anybody who likes Hybrid, I highly recommend Way out West.
                >
                > Yeah - they've done some good stuff - I like their remix of 'If I
                > Survive' too.

                My favourite of their remixes is their Faithless "Salva Mea" remix. I
                was also well impressed by the Lost Witness "Happiness Happening" one,
                and from some time ago their remix of "Stars" by Dubstar is a must-hear
                (but in quite a different style to their more recent mixes).

                > I think it's time for a trip down to HMV tomorrow to purchase the
                > album (along with Le ftfield's).

                Only Virgin have a copy in York, and I was planning to buy that for my
                birthday on Saturday, unless you get it first... <grin>.

                Leftfield's album is quite good, but the reviews that explained that
                it's a deep & moody album rather than a massive & anthemic 'comeback
                album' were all correct.

                Stuart.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 29, 1999
                  >>I have quite a few, if anybody would be
                  >>interested in some of the mp3's, I'd be glad to oblige.

                  >Yes please!!!!!!!!

                  >What's the best way of getting them from you? A mate e-mailed me quite a
                  few the other say and they came out fine - >not sure about your mail
                  connection though...?

                  My email server has a pretty strict limit, but maybe I can get one to you by
                  dividing it up. Not the best method, but one of the few right now. I will
                  soon have access to an FTP server that I can upload them to.

                  >don't have an mp3 of it, but would be
                  >willing to encode it, if anyone's interested.

                  I'll try getting around to that before long!

                  >>> Has anyone on this list had any contact with the
                  >> >band themselves?

                  >When I went to Creamfields, I met several people who knew the band...they
                  weren't joking either - Hybrid were >soeaking with them, right next to me. I
                  was too busy gawping to say anything! Doh!!

                  hehe, maybe next time! ;)

                  Vince H.
                • Vince H.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 29, 1999
                    > From: Stuart Bruce <music@...>
                    >
                    > On Wed 29 Sep, ally@... wrote:
                    > > > For anybody who likes Hybrid, I highly recommend Way out West.
                    > >
                    > > Yeah - they've done some good stuff - I like their remix of 'If I
                    > > Survive' too.
                    >
                    > My favourite of their remixes is their Faithless "Salva Mea" remix. I
                    > was also well impressed by the Lost Witness "Happiness Happening" one,
                    > and from some time ago their remix of "Stars" by Dubstar is a must-hear
                    > (but in quite a different style to their more recent mixes).

                    All this talk about WOW is encouraging me to start up my own mailing list.
                    ;) Other good remixes include Roni Size's "Share The Fall," JX's "There's
                    Nothing I Won't Do," Joi's "Asian Vibes," and Dubstar's "Not So Manic Now."
                    On the latter they made one of the finest acid lines my ears have yet to
                    behold. ;)

                    > > I think it's time for a trip down to HMV tomorrow to purchase the
                    > > album (along with Le ftfield's).
                    >
                    > Only Virgin have a copy in York, and I was planning to buy that for my
                    > birthday on Saturday, unless you get it first... <grin>.

                    I was in London last month and the Tower Records in Soho had one, so there's
                    more to go around. It's a real shame the stores refuse to carry more than
                    one copy, but I guess the demand warrants that. I'm glad to hear you 2 are
                    going to give WOW a try.

                    > Leftfield's album is quite good, but the reviews that explained that
                    > it's a deep & moody album rather than a massive & anthemic 'comeback
                    > album' were all correct.

                    Yes, I keep hearing the claim that it's NOT "Leftism 2," which is a shame,
                    because I really enjoyed that album. However, I'm glad to hear they're
                    evolving and branching out, and trying to do something innovative. However,
                    Africa Shox reminds me of some electro breaks I've heard in the
                    past.....well, everything'd derivative, of course, so I guess something like
                    that can only be expected. I will get the album eventually....the funds
                    don't currently allow it.

                    > Stuart.

                    Vince H.