Re: [Hybrid] OT: Eargasm (was: re: Hybrid, I'm sorry)

  • dcraig@nmt.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
      > Same for me for the Plumps album. I've always loved 90% of their
      > tracks...lots of fun and bounciness. Eargasm seems like it's missing
      > something though....it feels a bit flat and lifeless, like they're
      > not really sure what to do with the direction. Having said said, it
      > might grow on me...I did find myself singing 'Morning Sun' earlier
      > today.

      I agree, when I heard the tracks a few of them had that same Plumps funky
      bounciness to them but most of them just sound like they're going through
      the motions. There's nothing there. It's really sad, actually. It
      should have been one of the those CD's you toss on to get pumped for a
      Friday night out.

      Dan
    • Royle, John [BSS Audio UK]
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
        how can you say "When the funk hits the fan" is flat a lifeless?!? That's
        an absolutely quality track. If you ever hear them play down at fabric, the
        play a lot of their own stuff... i think it might change you view forever :)

        >> The Plumps and BLIM albums have yet to grow on me, and may not
        >> get much attention from me for a while.
        >
        >Same for me for the Plumps album. I've always loved 90% of their
        >tracks...lots of fun and bounciness. Eargasm seems like it's missing
        >something though....it feels a bit flat and lifeless, like they're
        >not really sure what to do with the direction. Having said said, it
        >might grow on me...I did find myself singing 'Morning Sun' earlier
        >today.
        >
        >Ally
      • AP - Nick Bower
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
          I have to disagree a little actually, I think there's still a fair
          amount of fun, dancefloor-friendly elements on Eargasm. I don't think
          its really missing anything, merely that its slightly different from 'A
          Plump Night Out' and takes a bit more getting to. They still carry
          across the big phat bouncy sound, that they do so well. However, I would
          agree that some of the tracks aren't as instantly infectious as on the
          previous album, but maybe they're growers, who knows? Having said that,
          I don't think you can deny that tunes like 'Funk Hits The Fan' and 'In
          Stereo' just get you shaking 'your thang' from first listen :)

          I still think that the Plumps are best heard out DJ'ing live. They throw
          so many more elements into the mix and really work with a crowd to offer
          a really funky and fun set.

          :)

          Nick

        • ally@hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
            Wasn't talking about individual tracks...just the whole feel of the
            album.

            I do love their DJ sets, I've seen them play a few times. Their
            FabricLive cd rarely leaves my car.
            I'm just a little dissapointed by Eargasm as a whole....but as I
            said, it may be a grower.

            Ally

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Royle, John [BSS Audio UK]"
            <john.royle@s...> wrote:
            > how can you say "When the funk hits the fan" is flat a
            lifeless?!? That's
            > an absolutely quality track. If you ever hear them play down at
            fabric, the
            > play a lot of their own stuff... i think it might change you view
            forever :)
          • Mike Henderson
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
              > Having said that,
              > I don't think you can deny that tunes like 'Funk Hits The Fan' and 'In
              > Stereo' just get you shaking 'your thang' from first listen :)
              >
              > Nick

              Agreed -- Funk Hits The Fan is fantastic -- my fav on the album.

              I actually quite like the Gary Numan track (Pray For You) quite a bit as
              well... got that nice 80's throwback sound (I'm an old-ish fella) with the
              Plumpy beats. Yum.

              This is just one of those albums I'll have to stash away for the proverbial
              rainy day, pick it up anew, and enjoy it then.

              Mike
            • ally@hybrid-group.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
                Ok, I take back my comments a bit. I've got the album on again and
                it has grown on me.

                Still stand by my comments that they weren't sure what direction
                they wanted to go in. They obviously wanted to do something a little
                different to Plump Night Out...but weren't sure what.

                Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on them...I guess it's hard - they're
                known for bouncy happy breakbeat and will get told off if they move
                away slightly, but also told off if they stick to them same style.

                Artists / bands, they can never win :)

                Ally
              • Drew Ressler
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
                  Well here is my top 6 list of albums so far this year, that I have listened to for a at least a month or two:

                  1: BT - Emotional Technology
                  Amazing stuff, unmmatched by anyone else. Love it or hate it, I LOVE it :)

                  2: Hybrid - Morning SciFi
                  Almost as good as the new BT album. BT is more harder and louder, so usualy I listen to it more in the car, but the new Hybrid album
                  is so quality, it's amazing. It's just the three already-released A-sides that kind of stick out like a sore thumb to me.

                  3: Plump DJ's - Eargasm
                  I like it alot. Really funky and fun. Hasn't held me more than BT or Hybrid of course, but it sneaks in there.

                  4: Kosheen - Kokopelli (based on the sampler, not full album)
                  Different genre for the band, but it still rocks. Reminds me of the old 90's alternative I still love.

                  5: Ed Rush & Optical - The Original Doctor Shade
                  Really funky, disco, house, drum 'n bass, a whole mish-mosh of fun. Of course mostly hard drum 'n bass. "Bullit" and "Get Ill" are
                  so fun :)

                  6: Fluke - Puppy
                  Good album, but nothing really struck me as wow. All just a solid album.

                  --Rukes
                • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
                    rukes...

                    all excellent choices.. but u missed one...

                    unkle - never neverland

                    i highly recommend it