Hybrid, I'm sorry

  • Mike Henderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
      I posted a lukewarm review for Morning SciFi. Now, having listened to new
      albums by BT, Plump DJs, and BLIM, (and some others more in the trance realm
      I'd be embarassed to name here) I can say the new Hybrid album beats the
      lot, buy quite a distance. I've listened to SciFi about two dozen times now,
      and it really is terrific throughout. Items I flagged as low points really
      are only "low points" in comparison with the rest of the album, which I
      can't say was all that fair to do in my review. BT's album has a few
      terrific tracks, but also a few that really lay flat and cold. The Plumps
      and BLIM albums have yet to grow on me, and may not get much attention from
      me for a while. But SciFi will remain in the rotation for quite a while, and
      will long-term likely get more plays from me than Wide Angle.

      Bring on the singles! Oh, and the official release of the album as well...

      Anyhow, uhm... bye.
      Mike
    • ally@hybrid-group.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
        > The Plumps and BLIM albums have yet to grow on me, and may not
        > get much attention from me for a while.

        Same for me for the Plumps album. I've always loved 90% of their
        tracks...lots of fun and bounciness. Eargasm seems like it's missing
        something though....it feels a bit flat and lifeless, like they're
        not really sure what to do with the direction. Having said said, it
        might grow on me...I did find myself singing 'Morning Sun' earlier
        today.

        Ally
      • dcraig@nmt.edu
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
          > Same for me for the Plumps album. I've always loved 90% of their
          > tracks...lots of fun and bounciness. Eargasm seems like it's missing
          > something though....it feels a bit flat and lifeless, like they're
          > not really sure what to do with the direction. Having said said, it
          > might grow on me...I did find myself singing 'Morning Sun' earlier
          > today.

          I agree, when I heard the tracks a few of them had that same Plumps funky
          bounciness to them but most of them just sound like they're going through
          the motions. There's nothing there. It's really sad, actually. It
          should have been one of the those CD's you toss on to get pumped for a
          Friday night out.

          Dan
        • Royle, John [BSS Audio UK]
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
            how can you say "When the funk hits the fan" is flat a lifeless?!? That's
            an absolutely quality track. If you ever hear them play down at fabric, the
            play a lot of their own stuff... i think it might change you view forever :)

            >> The Plumps and BLIM albums have yet to grow on me, and may not
            >> get much attention from me for a while.
            >
            >Same for me for the Plumps album. I've always loved 90% of their
            >tracks...lots of fun and bounciness. Eargasm seems like it's missing
            >something though....it feels a bit flat and lifeless, like they're
            >not really sure what to do with the direction. Having said said, it
            >might grow on me...I did find myself singing 'Morning Sun' earlier
            >today.
            >
            >Ally
          • AP - Nick Bower
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
              I have to disagree a little actually, I think there's still a fair
              amount of fun, dancefloor-friendly elements on Eargasm. I don't think
              its really missing anything, merely that its slightly different from 'A
              Plump Night Out' and takes a bit more getting to. They still carry
              across the big phat bouncy sound, that they do so well. However, I would
              agree that some of the tracks aren't as instantly infectious as on the
              previous album, but maybe they're growers, who knows? Having said that,
              I don't think you can deny that tunes like 'Funk Hits The Fan' and 'In
              Stereo' just get you shaking 'your thang' from first listen :)

              I still think that the Plumps are best heard out DJ'ing live. They throw
              so many more elements into the mix and really work with a crowd to offer
              a really funky and fun set.

              :)

              Nick

            • ally@hybrid-group.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
                Wasn't talking about individual tracks...just the whole feel of the
                album.

                I do love their DJ sets, I've seen them play a few times. Their
                FabricLive cd rarely leaves my car.
                I'm just a little dissapointed by Eargasm as a whole....but as I
                said, it may be a grower.

                Ally

                --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Royle, John [BSS Audio UK]"
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
                  > Having said that,
                  > I don't think you can deny that tunes like 'Funk Hits The Fan' and 'In
                  > Stereo' just get you shaking 'your thang' from first listen :)
                  >
                  > Nick

                  Agreed -- Funk Hits The Fan is fantastic -- my fav on the album.

                  I actually quite like the Gary Numan track (Pray For You) quite a bit as
                  well... got that nice 80's throwback sound (I'm an old-ish fella) with the
                  Plumpy beats. Yum.

                  This is just one of those albums I'll have to stash away for the proverbial
                  rainy day, pick it up anew, and enjoy it then.

                  Mike
                • ally@hybrid-group.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
                    Ok, I take back my comments a bit. I've got the album on again and
                    it has grown on me.

                    Still stand by my comments that they weren't sure what direction
                    they wanted to go in. They obviously wanted to do something a little
                    different to Plump Night Out...but weren't sure what.

                    Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on them...I guess it's hard - they're
                    known for bouncy happy breakbeat and will get told off if they move
                    away slightly, but also told off if they stick to them same style.

                    Artists / bands, they can never win :)

                    Ally
                  • Drew Ressler
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
                      Well here is my top 6 list of albums so far this year, that I have listened to for a at least a month or two:

                      1: BT - Emotional Technology
                      Amazing stuff, unmmatched by anyone else. Love it or hate it, I LOVE it :)

                      2: Hybrid - Morning SciFi
                      Almost as good as the new BT album. BT is more harder and louder, so usualy I listen to it more in the car, but the new Hybrid album
                      is so quality, it's amazing. It's just the three already-released A-sides that kind of stick out like a sore thumb to me.

                      3: Plump DJ's - Eargasm
                      I like it alot. Really funky and fun. Hasn't held me more than BT or Hybrid of course, but it sneaks in there.

                      4: Kosheen - Kokopelli (based on the sampler, not full album)
                      Different genre for the band, but it still rocks. Reminds me of the old 90's alternative I still love.

                      5: Ed Rush & Optical - The Original Doctor Shade
                      Really funky, disco, house, drum 'n bass, a whole mish-mosh of fun. Of course mostly hard drum 'n bass. "Bullit" and "Get Ill" are
                      so fun :)

                      6: Fluke - Puppy
                      Good album, but nothing really struck me as wow. All just a solid album.

                      --Rukes
                    • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
                        rukes...

                        all excellent choices.. but u missed one...

                        unkle - never neverland

                        i highly recommend it