Re: [Hybrid] Hybrid @ Maida Vale

  • RICHARD LUND
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 30 8:27 AM
      I believe it was mentioned a few weeks back that If I Survive with Adams vocals will be released as a B-Side on one of the upcoming singles...

      Confirmation??

      Ally??

      Rick

      > Yeah, i'll agree to that one. I thought all the re-takes on the old
      > tracks (Hybrid's words not mine) worked really well. There is bound
      > to be a few singles flying round from Morning Sci-Fi, so perhaps, we
      > might be treated to Adam's If I survive as a single track? They did
      > say on the One World show that they are getting the remixes sorted,
      > so we could get a CD1 of remixes and a CD2 of tracks? Here's hoping.
    • Paul Dixon
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 30 11:17 AM
        No, mate. I agree with you totally... and I really do think he was
        totally off-'key' with the 'I'm Still Awake' track, especially in
        the break.

        I was also very disapointed at the actual mixing between tracks.
        What with having a 12 piece section, I would have thought they would
        have added the extra dimension needed to blend the tracks into each
        other. They did it towards the end of the set - why not the start?

        On the whole the set was very enjoyable.

        Just as my spouse annoys me sometimes, I still love her. ;)

        Paul.

        PS: If anyone wants a .cue sheet for this set, shout and I'll post it.

        >I'll get reprimanded for this one, but I take it I'm the only one who
        >thinks Adam really didn't do a very good job with If I Survive. His voice
        >just wasn't on like it was with the songs he actually wrote. And I didn't
        >think the whole Name of the Game/Kill City mix was terribly great either.
        >Although the Visible Noise/Theme From... mix up was awesome.
        >
        >Dan
      • G3K
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 30 11:20 AM
          I'm with you... if you can't hit the high notes in If I Survive, you
          shouldn't be singing it.

          G3K

          >I'll get reprimanded for this one, but I take it I'm the only one who
          >thinks Adam really didn't do a very good job with If I Survive. His voice
          >just wasn't on like it was with the songs he actually wrote. And I didn't
          >think the whole Name of the Game/Kill City mix was terribly great either.
          >Although the Visible Noise/Theme From... mix up was awesome.
          >
          >Dan
        • Matt A
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 30 2:07 PM
            I sort of agree with you on "If I Survive". I think it's more due to the
            fact that I'm just not used to hearing Adam sing it. I think, because their
            sound is considerably darker now, he fits their CURRENT music well, but "If
            I Survive" is a little too upbeat for him. Again, I'm probably just used to
            hearing Julee sing it. I must say, I didn't miss hearing her sing "Words
            can't make me blee-EE-eed" out of key.

            I did, however, LOVE the "Kill City" reworking. I wouldn't even call it a
            mixup of "Name Of The Game", really. They used the same beat but, as we've
            been discussing here, Hybrid are kind of known for that.

            Speaking of reusing musical ideas (love that segue), Rollo Armstrong of
            Faithless is notorious for that as well. His remix of Moby's "Honey" is
            little more than "God Is A DJ", and there are PLENTY of other instances I
            could list off, but this isn't a Faithless list.
            :)
            Matt A.

            >I'll get reprimanded for this one, but I take it I'm the only one who
            >thinks Adam really didn't do a very good job with If I Survive. His voice
            >just wasn't on like it was with the songs he actually wrote. And I didn't
            >think the whole Name of the Game/Kill City mix was terribly great either.
            >Although the Visible Noise/Theme From... mix up was awesome.
            >
            >Dan
          • Andy Grundman
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 31 6:27 AM
              I already have a cue for this set on hybridized.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 31 6:56 AM
                Hi,

                Sorry I didn't realise .cue sheets were available on hybridized.org.

                If you're happy with it and the timings in it, then ignore this offer.

                Regards,

                Paul.

              • dcraig@nmt.edu
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 31 7:14 AM
                  > No, mate. I agree with you totally... and I really do think he was
                  > totally off-'key' with the 'I'm Still Awake' track, especially in
                  > the break.

                  I thought he was fine on I'm Still Awake, I just don't think his vocal
                  style comlements If I Survive at all.

                  Dan
                • Ben Smith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 31 7:54 AM
                    > I'm with you... if you can't hit the high notes in If I Survive, you
                    > shouldn't be singing it.

                    As opposed to Julee's no notes but the high ones approach?
                  • Alan Duval
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 31 4:31 PM
                      Even more blatant than Faithless, and speaking of Moby's 'Honey', is
                      Urban Takeover (Aphrodite and Mickey Finn), virtually every remix is
                      sped up to, from memory 178BPM so that the track being remixed will
                      fit on their 'King of the Beat' template (from back when they were
                      Amazon II). Honestly. Listen to their remixes of 'Honey',
                      Luniz's 'I Got 5 On It' and various others they've done. Total
                      cookie-cutter.

                      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Matt A <mantonich134156MI@c...>