Re: [Hybrid] Re: Progressive Sounds - Review of Morning Sci-Fi

  • Sapna Modi
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
      there is another review on there....(slightly confusing, but seek and you
      will find). You'll probs need a month to read through it all cause its all
      there!

      (would have thought Bower would have written this one!)

      > You call that a review?!
      >
      > It had ONE paragraph of opinion. The rest was all facts and quotes
      > from other reviews!
      >
      > I expect a lot better of Progressive Sounds.
      >
      > At least it had the album cover. Hadn't see that yet....
      >

      > Gavin
    • Antti Mutta
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
        > You call that a review?!

        The review's not on that page. I have to say, that Progressive-Sounds sure
        is pimping for Distinctive with that page Ally posted link to. They got sent
        the promo papers and they go and POST the text from it on the pages? I
        always thought the PR texts were just meant to INFORM the reviewers of
        factoids, but I guess this make it easier for Distinctive to like
        Progressive-Sounds (what's with the hyphen?), hence allowing them a flow of
        future promos as well.

        > It had ONE paragraph of opinion. The rest was all facts and quotes
        > from other reviews!

        http://www.progressive-sounds.com/reviews/Hybrid-Morning-Sci-Fi.asp

        Check that link. The caps are essential for you to get to the actual review.

        I think it's hilarious, that Peter Hook is dubbed as legendary and (not in
        Progressive-Sounds) as the world's best bass player. Surely they are
        kidding?

        -antti

        ps. Still waiting to get my hands on that damn CD!
      • AP - Nick Bower
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
          >there is another review on there....(slightly confusing, but seek and
          you
          >will find). You'll probs need a month to read through it all cause its
          all
          >there!

          >(would have thought Bower would have written this one!)

          No I didn't write these. Like I say...wait and see.

          :)

          Nick
        • Antti Mutta
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
            > No I didn't write these. Like I say...wait and see.
            > :)
            > Nick

            I bet it's something totally AWESOME as you're so secretive about ;)

            -antti
          • Simon Jones
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
              Actually Distinctive dont control any of their promotion now, its all done
              out of house.. therefore they dont really say who can and cant have copies
              of anything.. :)

              To clarify. The /feature is the press release for the album, with the
              /review
              being my actual review.

              And as Nick says.. who's to say there isnt more to look forward yet..

              There's plenty more in the way of Hybrid coverage to come, as well as lots
              of fun stuff with some others of the scene's greats ;)

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                > To clarify. The /feature is the press release for the album, with the
                > /review
                > being my actual review.

                Why post the press release?

                -antti
              • Alan Duval
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Legendary, certainly. Funny how sometimes people mistake, ahem,
                  Distinctiveness for greatness.

                  Hoook has a distinctive style - but Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers - and
                  his input on Young MCs 'Principal's Office' is superb :-D), Trujillo
                  (Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves) and Reeves Gabrels piss all
                  over him, proficiency-wise.

                  --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Antti Mutta" <antti.mutta@s...>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Duh...
                    Because thats what they are for.. it is an announcement after all..

                    >> To clarify. The /feature is the press release for the album, with the
                    >> /review
                    >> being my actual review.
                    >
                    >Why post the press release?
                    >
                    >-antti
                  • Antti Mutta
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003
                      I guess, that's one way to look at it. Lazy one.

                      Another way is to take the info and write your own introduction to the band.
                      That's better journalism. Ever seen one of the big mags post the PR material
                      straight as it is handed to them? No matter how crappy their own journalism
                      might seem to someone, at least they usually write their own material.

                      -antti