Re: [Hybrid] Re: Progressive Sounds - Review of Morning Sci-Fi

  • Sapna Modi
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
      there is another review on there....(slightly confusing, but seek and you
      will find). You'll probs need a month to read through it all cause its all
      there!

      (would have thought Bower would have written this one!)

      > You call that a review?!
      >
      > It had ONE paragraph of opinion. The rest was all facts and quotes
      > from other reviews!
      >
      > I expect a lot better of Progressive Sounds.
      >
      > At least it had the album cover. Hadn't see that yet....
      >

      > Gavin
    • AP - Nick Bower
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
        >You call that a review?!
        >
        >It had ONE paragraph of opinion. The rest was all facts and quotes
        >from other reviews!
        >
        >I expect a lot better of Progressive Sounds.
        >
        >At least it had the album cover. Hadn't see that yet....
        >

        >Gavin

        Sorry to hear you're so disappointed, Gavin. It still constitutes as a
        review - does it really matter if it has one para of opinion or 50?! I
        think the average reader that didn't know as much about the new
        album/live line up as hybrid-group members do would find the 'facts &
        quotes' an interesting read, personally.

        Besides, hold your horses a little Gavin, who's to say that there will
        be no more Hybrid/Morning Sci Fi stuff to go up on Progressive-Sounds
        after Simon's initial review?

        ;)

        Nick
      • Antti Mutta
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
          > You call that a review?!

          The review's not on that page. I have to say, that Progressive-Sounds sure
          is pimping for Distinctive with that page Ally posted link to. They got sent
          the promo papers and they go and POST the text from it on the pages? I
          always thought the PR texts were just meant to INFORM the reviewers of
          factoids, but I guess this make it easier for Distinctive to like
          Progressive-Sounds (what's with the hyphen?), hence allowing them a flow of
          future promos as well.

          > It had ONE paragraph of opinion. The rest was all facts and quotes
          > from other reviews!

          http://www.progressive-sounds.com/reviews/Hybrid-Morning-Sci-Fi.asp

          Check that link. The caps are essential for you to get to the actual review.

          I think it's hilarious, that Peter Hook is dubbed as legendary and (not in
          Progressive-Sounds) as the world's best bass player. Surely they are
          kidding?

          -antti

          ps. Still waiting to get my hands on that damn CD!
        • AP - Nick Bower
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
            >there is another review on there....(slightly confusing, but seek and
            you
            >will find). You'll probs need a month to read through it all cause its
            all
            >there!

            >(would have thought Bower would have written this one!)

            No I didn't write these. Like I say...wait and see.

            :)

            Nick
          • Antti Mutta
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
              > No I didn't write these. Like I say...wait and see.
              > :)
              > Nick

              I bet it's something totally AWESOME as you're so secretive about ;)

              -antti
            • Simon Jones
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                Actually Distinctive dont control any of their promotion now, its all done
                out of house.. therefore they dont really say who can and cant have copies
                of anything.. :)

                To clarify. The /feature is the press release for the album, with the
                /review
                being my actual review.

                And as Nick says.. who's to say there isnt more to look forward yet..

                There's plenty more in the way of Hybrid coverage to come, as well as lots
                of fun stuff with some others of the scene's greats ;)

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                  > To clarify. The /feature is the press release for the album, with the
                  > /review
                  > being my actual review.

                  Why post the press release?

                  -antti
                • Alan Duval
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Legendary, certainly. Funny how sometimes people mistake, ahem,
                    Distinctiveness for greatness.

                    Hoook has a distinctive style - but Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers - and
                    his input on Young MCs 'Principal's Office' is superb :-D), Trujillo
                    (Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves) and Reeves Gabrels piss all
                    over him, proficiency-wise.

                    --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "Antti Mutta" <antti.mutta@s...>
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                      Duh...
                      Because thats what they are for.. it is an announcement after all..

                      >> To clarify. The /feature is the press release for the album, with the
                      >> /review
                      >> being my actual review.
                      >
                      >Why post the press release?
                      >
                      >-antti
                    • Antti Mutta
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003
                        I guess, that's one way to look at it. Lazy one.

                        Another way is to take the info and write your own introduction to the band.
                        That's better journalism. Ever seen one of the big mags post the PR material
                        straight as it is handed to them? No matter how crappy their own journalism
                        might seem to someone, at least they usually write their own material.

                        -antti