Re: [Hybrid] Re: Morning Sci Fi Press Quotes

  • G3K
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
      These are just "press quotes", not full reviews. You may want to read the whole articles before you deliver such withering putdowns.

      >Vangelis my arse!
      >When was the last time any of them listened to Bladerunner? I'll
      >never buy any of the below mags for their so-called "reviews" again.
      >Wot a load of tosh!
      >
      >Speaking of Time Out... that's the magazine that just last week
      >dissed Manitoba, Four Tet and Prefuse 73 et al in el grande stylee.
      >Some authority on electronic music, I'll say.
      >
      >Reviews are supposed to be the alternative to infomercials, not
      >substitutes. What next - Cher plugging in Way Out West?
      >
      >no cheers,
      >maksidrom
    • maksidrom
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
        Sorry, but after reading silly quotes like that the last thing I
        would want to do is waste my time reading an ad that disguises
        itself as a review. Couldn't people think of some better metaphors?
        Why not "evoking everything from Pink Floyd to Mozart" for that
        case? I can see fans of MA and Vangelis picking up the album based
        on that comparison and being slightly baffled. And the classic
        journo catchphrases "dance floor mayhem" and "comedown comfort"
        picked from the "Reviews For Dummies" handbook? After reading quite
        a few Muzik & Mixmag reviews over the years I swear at least half of
        their articles include those whored to death phrases.

        Bog standard journalism...

        --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, G3K <generation_3000@a...> wrote:
        > These are just "press quotes", not full reviews. You may want to
        read the whole articles before you deliver such withering putdowns.

      • s_lobo_2
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
          I think somebody needs to be taking a chill-pill.

          Let's keep things in perspective here, it's only a review!

          Geez! Next we'll be moaning about stupid little picky things like
          Hybrid's new logo (which I hate by the way! Why not keep to the
          original 'distinctive' logo! Or is it their new 'mature' image...
          grumble, grumble, yadda, yadda, yadda)!

          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "maksidrom" <maksidrom@y...> wrote:
          > Sorry, but after reading silly quotes like that the last thing I
          > would want to do is waste my time reading an ad that disguises
          > itself as a review. Couldn't people think of some better metaphors?
          > Why not "evoking everything from Pink Floyd to Mozart" for that
          > case? I can see fans of MA and Vangelis picking up the album based
          > on that comparison and being slightly baffled. And the classic
          > journo catchphrases "dance floor mayhem" and "comedown comfort"
          > picked from the "Reviews For Dummies" handbook? After reading quite
          > a few Muzik & Mixmag reviews over the years I swear at least half
          of
          > their articles include those whored to death phrases.
          >
          > Bog standard journalism...
          >

          > --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, G3K <generation_3000@a...> wrote:
          > > These are just "press quotes", not full reviews. You may want to
          > read the whole articles before you deliver such withering putdowns.

        • Matthew Craig
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
            >>Bog standard journalism...

            Bog standard bitching about nothing especially important or interesting...
            next.

            Did anyone actually read the review? No I don't mean the Distinctive press
            release... the review itself?
          • Antti Mutta
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
              Well, you do understand that these small review sites can't afford risking
              to lose their sources for promos, so they basically lick the label /
              distributor's asses as much as they can.

              I don't believe this excuse though.

              Given the chance, I'd love to do some seriously critical reviews :)

              -antti

              > Sorry, but after reading silly quotes like that the last thing I
              > would want to do is waste my time reading an ad that disguises
              > itself as a review. Couldn't people think of some better metaphors?
              > Why not "evoking everything from Pink Floyd to Mozart" for that
              > case? I can see fans of MA and Vangelis picking up the album based
              > on that comparison and being slightly baffled. And the classic
              > journo catchphrases "dance floor mayhem" and "comedown comfort"
              > picked from the "Reviews For Dummies" handbook? After reading quite
              > a few Muzik & Mixmag reviews over the years I swear at least half of
              > their articles include those whored to death phrases.
              >
              > Bog standard journalism...
            • Ben Phillips
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                > Bog standard bitching about nothing especially important or
                > interesting...
                > next.

                makisdrom is talking about the press release page on Progressive Sounds (the initial one posted by ally), which i thought was poor for a review.

                > Did anyone actually read the review? No I don't mean the
                > Distinctive press
                > release... the review itself?

                yep, the first paragraph is appalling. the rest is good though.

                ben.
              • jbeadle@blueyonder.co.uk
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                  s_lobo_2 said:

                  >"Geez! Next we'll be moaning about stupid little picky things like
                  >Hybrid's new logo (which I hate by the way! Why not keep to the
                  >original 'distinctive' logo! Or is it their new 'mature' image...
                  >grumble, grumble, yadda, yadda, yadda)!"

                  This is where I get to put my typeface geek hat on and say "yay!" for Hybrid's new logo. Eurostile is a cool retro-future font that I love. They messed up their last logo by amending it from its orginal, sleeker Wide Angle version.

                  There's a definite contrast on the cover of Morning Sci-Fi between the stark futurism of the typeface and the naturalistic nature of the picture - a neat summation of Hybrid's style I'd say. This new style says, slick, sophisticated and yes, mature.

                  jonny
                • Simon Jones
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Seriously critical huh?
                    Name me one 'small' or 'big' magazine or website that marks anything less
                    than a 6 and I'll give you a medal. Most publications / portals dont even
                    bother reviewing the absolute sh!t out there..

                    Besides. A review is just an opinion. Open your mind, use your own ears
                    and judgment. I agree about the Mixmag comments though, but then again they
                    do have to keep the people who run adverts in their magazines happy..

                    >Well, you do understand that these small review sites can't afford risking
                    >to lose their sources for promos, so they basically lick the label /
                    >distributor's asses as much as they can.
                    >
                    >I don't believe this excuse though.
                    >
                    >Given the chance, I'd love to do some seriously critical reviews :)
                    >
                    >-antti
                  • Matthew Craig
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                      >makisdrom is talking about the press release page on Progressive Sounds
                      >(the initial one posted by ally), which i thought was poor for a review.

                      Which I would agree with.. if it actually was a review.
                    • Antti Mutta
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
                        I think that's truly sad. I do know that mostly it is so - press has to
                        please distributors / ad agencies / sponsors, so it might be tricky to
                        express your opinion. Still, it'd be good to know there's some places and
                        some mags you can go to when you want to know if the album is really worth
                        your money.

                        And I am not saying your review sucked, Simon. I think it was actually one
                        of the better ones you've written. I just didn't get the PR text post prior
                        to the actual review.

                        -antti