Re: TicketWeb etc and MAXI CD

  • maksidrom
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2003
      The regular cd single in the USA is usually a two-track CD with the
      main radio edit and some bonus track (a different edit, album version
      or b-side). The regular version is the most common format in the
      market and usually is the one that sells cheaper, $2 or $3 USD at
      places like Walmart, Walgreens and any other joint that services the
      mass popular demand. The maxi cd-single is the one with that is 4
      tracks or more, has enhanced section, extra mixes and extra bonus
      tracks, sometimes up to 10 or so. They usually retail for anywhere
      from $6 to up to $10. Since sales in the US charts are not as
      critical as regular airplay this is a lot less common and popular
      format. There are virtually no limitations (I have some cd maxi's
      that have more tracks and bonus features on it that regular albums),
      but seeing that they are not decisive and have very limited impact to
      the chart positions in the US market, they are becoming more and more
      rare and more and more rare.

      To the person who says he is studying music industry and has not
      heard of this format: you may want to ask your tutor for additional
      info or check with the person who coordinates the courses. Maxi CD
      single is a well known format and an industry standard, which is at
      the moment undergoing a serious debate and review by the industry
      itself. The term has been around for ages and if your courses do not
      touch upon the subject then you are missing a quite a bit.

      maksidrom

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "jfransella" <jfransella@s...> wrote:
      > the maxi-cd or maxi-cd single terminology is often used in american
      > music marketing. I've seen it for years now. Funny, especially
      > with more mainstream artists, the british imports usually come out
      > first (like, for instance, madonna's singles, or depeche modes).
      > They'll have 2 or 3 tracks. and there will be a second or third UK
      > single release with other mixes. Then a US single will come out
      > with only the radio play version and maybe the album version.
      After