Re: Hybrid in Leeds

  • Stuart Bruce
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 1999
      On Thu 23 Sep, ally@... wrote:
      > > Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club >I've been to
      > > is the Elbow Room
      > ,
      >
      > It's new - opens up this weekend :-)

      That'll be another reason why I haven't been yet then... <grin>. I must
      admit to not being too well up on the Leeds scene, until recently I was
      just putting up with York.

      > Elbow Room is good - more of a pool hall though.

      On Saturday the DJs are Jez & Tim, also known as the Utah Saints
      (although they don't use that name at the club so it's more of a
      little-known fact and most people don't recognise them anyway), and I
      like the music they play. Suits me fine, I'm not often seen "largin' it"
      as they have been overheard to say in Da Hood.

      > > So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it >and I bought
      > > �Wide Angle� this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm >up to
      > > track 3 on my first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_
      > > good actually.
      >
      > Brilliant!

      Second listen underway... haven't had much time at home recently though,
      guess I'll have to copy it to MD and take it with me instead. Might post
      a track-by-track comment soon if anyone's interested. Stand-out tracks
      from the first listen were "Beachcoma", "Snyper" and "Theme From Wide
      Angle". Also from the first listen the track I was most suspect about
      was "High Life", not bad as a track but at first it seemed like too much
      of a Bjork-alike. [He typed, then realised he was wearing a Bjork
      T-shirt.]

      > I've also got a few of their remixes (of Alanis Morisette, Itza
      > Trumpet Thing etc.) wh ich are great to play loud!

      Is there a reasonable discography or Hybrid site on the Web? Really
      that's a bit of a lazy question as I should have had a look myself, but
      some people might already be able to tell me where to look (especially
      if there's anyone here who works on web sites as part of their living...
      <cough>).

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 1999
        > From: Stuart Bruce <music@...>
        >
        > On Wed 22 Sep, ally@... wrote:
        > > Good news to those in the Leeds area:
        >
        > (That'll probably be just the two of us, then...)
        >
        > > I've just found out that Hybrid are special guests at Space in Leeds
        > > on the 8th Octobe r.
        >
        > Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club I've been to is
        > the Elbow Room, and I'm going there on Saturdays Oct 2nd and Oct 9th so
        > I'm not sure I could fit in another trip to Leeds the day before... Is
        > it a live performance or just a P/A? I'll be seeing them the following
        > week in Newcastle anyway, so might have to skip that one.
        >
        > So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it and I bought "Wide
        > Angle" this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm up to track 3 on my
        > first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_ good actually. Not
        > that anyone else on this list will necessarily find this surprising...
        >
        > Stuart.
        >
        > PS. Hi Vince. Yet another example of the small world... thought the
        > Internet was meant to make the world feel like a larger, rather than a
        > smaller place?! <grin>.

        Greetz, Stuart. Yes, I guess we are 2 of the more loyal Hybrid and
        Sunscreem fans. ;)

        Concerning Hybrid websites, make sure you check out this unofficial one:
        http://users.desupernet.com/halycon/Hybrid/hybrid.html

        Also, www.distinctiverecords.com has an imcomplete one which I'm sure you've
        already observed.

        The latest Hybrid single "If I Survive" contains some great remixes by Way
        out West and Hybrid themselves, that deserve to be given a listen. Just my
        own petty recommendation. ;)

        Vince H.