Where are the nasty breaks? :)

  • oddball
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
      OK a little OT here seeing as things are not too busy on this list (From
      what I can see).

      I'm having trouble finding any good nasty breaks. The kind I like are what
      people like Hybrid and Nubreed mix when they are into a filthy breaks
      session (Which we don't hear enough from Hybrid these days IMO). Lots of
      nasty gnarly basslines and beats that kick your butt. I've been playing a
      few sets of late from places like Nubreaks.com. I find the funky breaks and
      nuskool/tech stuff a little on the soft side. It's like I want to throw
      some hardtrance/house at the breaks and toughen it up. I need my hit of
      nasty synthetic madness dudes!

      I need it HARDER! (Ooer missus!)

      Hit me with tracks or mixset/CD recommendations :)

      BTW just what are progressive breaks? Is this what I am after? Or is that
      it more housey style?

      P.S. There are some ultra cheap Botchit breaks CD's on
      www.audiostreet.co.uk I mean like 2 CD sets for a couple of quid!
    • Larry Williamson
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
        Check this mix out... maybe it'll help ;)

        http://raverland.org/djnyte/djnyte%20-%20the%20first.wma

      • ally@hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
          >I'm having trouble finding any good nasty breaks. The kind I like are what
          >people like Hybrid and Nubreed mix when they are into a filthy breaks
          >session (Which we don't hear enough from Hybrid these days IMO).

          Ah, Oddball. I wish you could have been at Fabric on friday night. Hybrid
          played a much harder set than the Fabric crowd had heard them play before.
          I loved it...I have a tendency to get a little bored when it gets very
          progressivey.

          I love it when they play like that, but I'm not sure I'd like them to add
          in some hard trance ;-) Having said that, it would be very amusing. For a
          few seconds.

          Have you heard the new SLAM Fabric CD? I haven't heard it yet but it's
          already getting some great reviews. I like them for their breaky / technoy
          hard style.

          >BTW just what are progressive breaks? Is this what I am after? Or is that
          >it more housey style?

          My defintition of progressive is "all sounds the same". That's not quite
          fair, as there is some very good progressive tracks out there....but
          there's equally some mind-numbingly boring tracks out there (as with every
          genre I guess). I guess I just like something with a tune / something funky
          / something hard / something with a 'little bit of something special'.
          Would I be fair to say that a Sasha set is typical progressive?
          Love his CDs / Mix CDS...but listening to him DJ feels like banging my head
          against a brick wall. A really straight brick wall, with no interesting
          bits.

          Rant / ramble over :D

          Ally

          p.s. I like my "/"'s today don't I?!
        • Phil Stewart
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
            On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, oddball wrote:
            > I'm having trouble finding any good nasty breaks.
            >
            > I need it HARDER! (Ooer missus!)

            Try Freq Nasty's Y4K. Better still, the radio mix that promo'd it. Pretty
            darn filthy stuff, imo. Munchy munchy ...

            --
            From Phil
          • ally@hybrid-group.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
              > Try Freq Nasty's Y4K. Better still, the radio mix that promo'd it.
              Pretty
              > darn filthy stuff, imo. Munchy munchy ...

              I think my definition of hard / filthly may be quite different to
              yours... :)

              Ally
            • Chilvers, Simon
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                > Try Freq Nasty's Y4K. Better still, the radio mix that promo'd it. Pretty
                darn filthy stuff, imo. Munchy munchy ...

                > --
                > From Phil

                Talking of Radio mix Promo's.... Try the Annie Nightingale show from this
                weekend.... Got a munching set from tayo on it, plus a mix from Adam
                Freeland (Which I haven't got to yet.... Listening to it right now!)

                Cheers

                Si

                PS... The little interview of Tayo at the Breakspoll awards is very funny!
                Tayo... That short fella with bells on.... Bouncing around to Prince in the
                mud at Glastonbury, That's gotta be worth seeing!!!
              • Sapna Modi
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                  I love Slam stuff and the album IS as good as people say. And 'Alien Radio'
                  is still wicked!

                  > Have you heard the new SLAM Fabric CD? I haven't heard it yet but it's
                  > already getting some great reviews. I like them for their breaky / technoy
                  > hard style.
                • Sapna Modi
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                    The radioactive man fabric cd is quite nasty if you ask me.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                      On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, ally@... wrote:
                      > > Try Freq Nasty's Y4K. Better still, the radio mix that promo'd it.
                      > Pretty
                      > > darn filthy stuff, imo. Munchy munchy ...
                      >
                      > I think my definition of hard / filthly may be quite different to
                      > yours... :)

                      I wouldn't say Freq is particularly hard, but he is quite filthy. His
                      music style that is, not him himself :-)

                      --
                      From Phil
                    • R - Freshhhhhhhhhhhh
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                        Mine too,I was majorly disappointed by Freq's comp (except for the "Phil
                        Keiran" track,that was a good one : ))......... : (

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                          Snarling bass and snapping snares?

                          You know I can't think of a damned thing off top o' me head, but the
                          crew at www.NuSkoolBreaks.com are bound to have a few (dozen) ideas.

                          Progressive Breaks is one of those terms that has at least three
                          interpretations:
                          1) Some people use it to refer to progressive house with occasional
                          breaks in it (like TILT and so on),
                          2) Others use it to refer to breaks that have a kind of progressive
                          house feel (Freeland, PMT, etc.),
                          3) And still others are talking about Nu-Skool Breaks that are
                          pushing the envelope a bit (Ils, and people of that ilk).

                          Yay for pigeon-holing (:-o)

                          --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, oddball <oddball@l...> wrote:
                          I need it HARDER! (Ooer missus!)

                          Hit me with tracks or mixset/CD recommendations :)

                          BTW just what are progressive breaks? Is this what I am after? Or is
                          that it more housey style?
                        • Alan Duval
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Phil Stewart <phil@l...> wrote:
                            I wouldn't say Freq is particularly hard, but he is quite filthy.

                            I dunno, his own remix of 'Boomin' Back Atcha' is pretty hard.

                            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Phil Stewart <phil@l...> wrote:
                            His music style that is, not him himself :-)

                            Again, I dunno, have you seen his dreads? Cor, look at this, me
                            slaggin' off an ex-pat NZer :-o
                          • hybridfusion_x
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                              Hey. I used to ask myself the same question. The answer I've gotten so
                              far: you have to pick them one by one from different places. Try these:

                              o Nubreed vs Phil K - (Try http://www.hybridized.org to get it)

                              o Jay Cunning - Pressure Breaks 8 Mix (Great Mix! Downloaded it a few
                              days ago from http://nubreaks.com, under mixsets)

                              o Try finding music from Atomic Hooligan on WinMX (I guess he only
                              produces Vinyl, damn! This guy really has some wicked breaks. The
                              stuff you can get on Botchit Breaks doesn't seem to be his best)

                              o MacIX vs The Carbon Community (This one's easy: http://mp3.com very
                              nice breaks)

                              o Also try http://www.htfr.com and preview sound clips under the
                              breaks section

                              (I quite don't understand your expression about Botchit Breaks, but I
                              hope it's a good one, cause I've been waiting for a long time to get
                              my Botchit Breaks 5 copy on my mailbox.)
                            • Alan Duval
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 6, 2003
                                You can't mention Atomic Hooligan and not mention Digital Pimp.
                                Well, OK, you can, QED, but really!

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 7, 2003
                                  On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, R - Freshhhhhhhhhhhh wrote:
                                  > Mine too,I was majorly disappointed by Freq's comp (except for the "Phil
                                  > Keiran" track,that was a good one : ))......... : (

                                  I have to emphasise that I much preferred the Y4K promo radio mix to the
                                  actual compo itself. I thought the compilation was a bit slow, and didn't
                                  get as far as it should've done. The radio has much more punch to it, and
                                  a good deal more filth :-)

                                  --
                                  From Phil
                                • Nick Bower
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 7, 2003
                                    Indeed, in my opinion D-Pimp's new tune 'Overload' is one of the
                                    phattest tunes ever recorded by man...

                                    Simply...large

                                    :)

                                    Nick

                                    >You can't mention Atomic Hooligan and not mention Digital Pimp.
                                    >Well, OK, you can, QED, but really!
                                  • Dave "NPherno" Eaton II
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 7, 2003
                                      Anyone who's having a hard time finding "nasty breaks" isn't looking hard
                                      enough! :)

                                      Many of the BreaksFM.com archives we're hosting on Nubreaks.com right now
                                      are _NASTY_ beyond your wildest dreams... I hear from many that the Drunken
                                      Allstars set from the Unstable Label show is both hardcore & very funny...
                                      something about taking their name a bit too seriously.

                                      On top of that, many of our reviews have full-length audio. While it's not
                                      CD quality (since, then, posted the full track would be a baaaaad thing!)
                                      it's certainly listenable, for example:

                                      DJ Quest - Oildrum (Mechanoise's first release of 2003... NASTY!!!)

                                      Plus, I'm behind right now on posting recent SoCal Sounds sets, and a few of
                                      those are quote 'NASTY'. One of significant intrest to most here will be
                                      Heavy D (LA area DJ Daniel Riding, soon to be a UK resident!) and his latest
                                      set. It's a 100% old-school breaks set with 12"s running from the late 80's
                                      to mid 90's mixed live _PERFECTLY_. Got a ton of attention the night it
                                      aired, and I expect the archive to really bring people back. To some
                                      degree, while not "nasty", it was a golden age for breaks. I will aim to
                                      get that one posted before Saturday...

                                    • oddball
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 7, 2003
                                        >Hey. I used to ask myself the same question. The answer I've gotten so
                                        >far: you have to pick them one by one from different places. Try these:
                                        >
                                        >o Nubreed vs Phil K - (Try
                                        ><http://www.hybridized.org>http://www.hybridized.org to get it)

                                        Love this mix.

                                        >o Jay Cunning - Pressure Breaks 8 Mix (Great Mix! Downloaded it a few
                                        >days ago from <http://nubreaks.com,>http://nubreaks.com, under mixsets)

                                        Found this mix boring. So if you know the difference in style between the
                                        two sets, then you know what I like.
                                      • Owain Griffiths
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 7, 2003
                                          T-Power feat. Blade - Dangerous (Sons of Mecha VS Digital Pimp Remix) <-
                                          Oldskool but downright filthy and really quite mingin!!! (in a good way)

                                          Also try krafty kuts and skool of thought - sound check for some REAL bass
                                          ;)

                                          Owain
                                        • Antti Mutta
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 7, 2003
                                            Check www.digital-pimp.co.uk and www.envisionrecordings.com for D-Pimp info
                                            and while you're at en:vision, check Kraymon, C83 and others :) Rockin'

                                            -antti