Re: Hybrid in Leeds

  • ally@xxxxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 1999
      >Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club >I've been to is the Elbow Room,

      It's new - opens up this weekend :-)

      Elbow Room is good - more of a pool hall though.

      >So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it >and I bought �Wide
      >Angle� this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm >up to track 3 on my
      >first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_ >good actually.

      Brilliant!

      I work for a new media company (we make the websites for Heinz and Hula Hoops etc.) and fortuently we're allowed to play music (rather loud)....I've been playing the album all day - I can't get sick of it!!

      I've also got a few of their remixes (of Alanis Morisette, Itza Trumpet Thing etc.) which are great to play loud!

      lol

      "like Hotmail but faster and a lot better"
      Carol Vorderman, The Mirror, writing about http://www.funmail.co.uk
    • Stuart Bruce
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 1999
        On Thu 23 Sep, ally@... wrote:
        > > Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club >I've been to
        > > is the Elbow Room
        > ,
        >
        > It's new - opens up this weekend :-)

        That'll be another reason why I haven't been yet then... <grin>. I must
        admit to not being too well up on the Leeds scene, until recently I was
        just putting up with York.

        > Elbow Room is good - more of a pool hall though.

        On Saturday the DJs are Jez & Tim, also known as the Utah Saints
        (although they don't use that name at the club so it's more of a
        little-known fact and most people don't recognise them anyway), and I
        like the music they play. Suits me fine, I'm not often seen "largin' it"
        as they have been overheard to say in Da Hood.

        > > So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it >and I bought
        > > �Wide Angle� this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm >up to
        > > track 3 on my first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_
        > > good actually.
        >
        > Brilliant!

        Second listen underway... haven't had much time at home recently though,
        guess I'll have to copy it to MD and take it with me instead. Might post
        a track-by-track comment soon if anyone's interested. Stand-out tracks
        from the first listen were "Beachcoma", "Snyper" and "Theme From Wide
        Angle". Also from the first listen the track I was most suspect about
        was "High Life", not bad as a track but at first it seemed like too much
        of a Bjork-alike. [He typed, then realised he was wearing a Bjork
        T-shirt.]

        > I've also got a few of their remixes (of Alanis Morisette, Itza
        > Trumpet Thing etc.) wh ich are great to play loud!

        Is there a reasonable discography or Hybrid site on the Web? Really
        that's a bit of a lazy question as I should have had a look myself, but
        some people might already be able to tell me where to look (especially
        if there's anyone here who works on web sites as part of their living...
        <cough>).

        Stuart.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 1999
          > From: Stuart Bruce <music@...>
          >
          > On Wed 22 Sep, ally@... wrote:
          > > Good news to those in the Leeds area:
          >
          > (That'll probably be just the two of us, then...)
          >
          > > I've just found out that Hybrid are special guests at Space in Leeds
          > > on the 8th Octobe r.
          >
          > Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club I've been to is
          > the Elbow Room, and I'm going there on Saturdays Oct 2nd and Oct 9th so
          > I'm not sure I could fit in another trip to Leeds the day before... Is
          > it a live performance or just a P/A? I'll be seeing them the following
          > week in Newcastle anyway, so might have to skip that one.
          >
          > So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it and I bought "Wide
          > Angle" this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm up to track 3 on my
          > first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_ good actually. Not
          > that anyone else on this list will necessarily find this surprising...
          >
          > Stuart.
          >
          > PS. Hi Vince. Yet another example of the small world... thought the
          > Internet was meant to make the world feel like a larger, rather than a
          > smaller place?! <grin>.

          Greetz, Stuart. Yes, I guess we are 2 of the more loyal Hybrid and
          Sunscreem fans. ;)

          Concerning Hybrid websites, make sure you check out this unofficial one:
          http://users.desupernet.com/halycon/Hybrid/hybrid.html

          Also, www.distinctiverecords.com has an imcomplete one which I'm sure you've
          already observed.

          The latest Hybrid single "If I Survive" contains some great remixes by Way
          out West and Hybrid themselves, that deserve to be given a listen. Just my
          own petty recommendation. ;)

          Vince H.