Re: [Hybrid] Massive Attack "100th Window"

  • Russell Vint
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
      Isn't 5.1 rubbish for music though? I thought it was only good for movies, I
      always found that it centralises the vocals too much and messes it all up,
      on Pro logic anyway... I suppose it depends on what they do with the
      technology, I've never really heard 5.1 music (except in films) so I'm a
      bit aprehensive :)

      Russ

      > There will be a video made for every single track on the album which will
      also then appear as a DVD. There is also talk of a 5.1 mix
      > of the album in a double pack with lots of different films and animations
      as well as a stripped back light show concept.

      > --Rukes
    • oddball
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
        5.1 can work rather well depending on what type of music it is and how it
        was mixed. I have a few DTS surround sound CD's that are rather good. I
        also have a 5.1 remix of Carl Cox Phuture 2000 in AC3 format that was on
        the DVD single. It's interesting but not a great mix IMHO. The best
        soundtracks that benefit from 5.1 usually tend to be symphonic scores or
        ambient music. Probably because they have a reverberation that works well
        in spreading the soundstage.

        Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode is a new DSP mode on newer amps/recievers
        that emulates 5.1 from a stereo source. This may sound like some of those
        virtual surround methods that add reverb etc and normally I would shy away
        from such a thing. But I've been listening to it and it's miles better than
        any previous surround sound emulation. It's totally discrete meaning no
        reverb is added and no extra noise. It does something to the signal I
        barely comprehend. But the results are amazing! I find myself listening to
        more and more music in this mode. It adds depth and ambience without
        additional noise or effects. You have to hear it to believe it really.
        Stuff that benefits from it mostly is again classical pieces and ambient
        stuff like FSOL type music. But stuff like Hybrid etc also benefits from
        the big soundscapes it can produce.

        However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in proper a 5.1
        Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)

        >Isn't 5.1 rubbish for music though? I thought it was only good for movies, I
        >always found that it centralises the vocals too much and messes it all up,
        >on Pro logic anyway... I suppose it depends on what they do with the
        >technology, I've never really heard 5.1 music (except in films) so I'm a
        >bit aprehensive :)
        >
        >Russ
      • oddball
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
          Here is an explanation about how DPLII works.

          http://www.dolby.com/ht/co.br.0107.PLIIListenersGuide.html

        • c_chilton <c_chilton@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
            > However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in
            proper a 5.1
            > Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)

            omg omg omg! it was meant to beeee! you know its only a matter of
            time until the boys get jiggy with some 5.1 stuff :)

            chuck
          • Phil Stewart
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
              On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, c_chilton <c_chilton@...> wrote:
              > > However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in
              > proper a 5.1
              > > Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)
              >
              > omg omg omg! it was meant to beeee! you know its only a matter of
              > time until the boys get jiggy with some 5.1 stuff :)

              Me thinks that the stupid chart release rules could be worked to great
              effect here - I would *love* to have a three format release, with a 5.1
              mix on DVD. Not much scope for remixes on such a release though :-/

              --
              From Phil
            • Trevor Heitlauf
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
                Hmmm, Anyone think 5.1 could work in a club
                setting.....heard of quadrphonic being used in a few
                joints. Lets say replace the Cdj-1000 CD lens with a
                DVD. Would it be worth it? Considering people move
                around a club unlike a movie theatre it's probably
                pointless.....Where is a club that uses quadraphonic
                anyways? Trev