Re: Massive Attack "100th Window"

  • maksidrom <maksidrom@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
      2D, I believe, is Damon Albarn from Blur.

      It is an amazing album and 3D is a very decent singer. All this talk
      about the new album made me go back to the MA Singles Box Set and re-
      listen to all the tracks again... I even dug out my dusty copy of
      Batman Forver OST for "The Hunter..." (still one of my all-time
      Massive Attack & Tracey Thorne fave tunes).

      cheers,
      maksidrom

      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Drew Ressler <rukes@o...> wrote:
      > Yes it is. From http://www.redlines.org.uk/ :
      >

      > 9.ANTISTAR (3D & 2D)

    • Russell Vint
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
        Isn't 5.1 rubbish for music though? I thought it was only good for movies, I
        always found that it centralises the vocals too much and messes it all up,
        on Pro logic anyway... I suppose it depends on what they do with the
        technology, I've never really heard 5.1 music (except in films) so I'm a
        bit aprehensive :)

        Russ

        > There will be a video made for every single track on the album which will
        also then appear as a DVD. There is also talk of a 5.1 mix
        > of the album in a double pack with lots of different films and animations
        as well as a stripped back light show concept.

        > --Rukes
      • oddball
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
          5.1 can work rather well depending on what type of music it is and how it
          was mixed. I have a few DTS surround sound CD's that are rather good. I
          also have a 5.1 remix of Carl Cox Phuture 2000 in AC3 format that was on
          the DVD single. It's interesting but not a great mix IMHO. The best
          soundtracks that benefit from 5.1 usually tend to be symphonic scores or
          ambient music. Probably because they have a reverberation that works well
          in spreading the soundstage.

          Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode is a new DSP mode on newer amps/recievers
          that emulates 5.1 from a stereo source. This may sound like some of those
          virtual surround methods that add reverb etc and normally I would shy away
          from such a thing. But I've been listening to it and it's miles better than
          any previous surround sound emulation. It's totally discrete meaning no
          reverb is added and no extra noise. It does something to the signal I
          barely comprehend. But the results are amazing! I find myself listening to
          more and more music in this mode. It adds depth and ambience without
          additional noise or effects. You have to hear it to believe it really.
          Stuff that benefits from it mostly is again classical pieces and ambient
          stuff like FSOL type music. But stuff like Hybrid etc also benefits from
          the big soundscapes it can produce.

          However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in proper a 5.1
          Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)

          >Isn't 5.1 rubbish for music though? I thought it was only good for movies, I
          >always found that it centralises the vocals too much and messes it all up,
          >on Pro logic anyway... I suppose it depends on what they do with the
          >technology, I've never really heard 5.1 music (except in films) so I'm a
          >bit aprehensive :)
          >
          >Russ
        • oddball
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
            Here is an explanation about how DPLII works.

            http://www.dolby.com/ht/co.br.0107.PLIIListenersGuide.html

          • c_chilton <c_chilton@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
              > However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in
              proper a 5.1
              > Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)

              omg omg omg! it was meant to beeee! you know its only a matter of
              time until the boys get jiggy with some 5.1 stuff :)

              chuck
            • Phil Stewart
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
                On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, c_chilton <c_chilton@...> wrote:
                > > However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in
                > proper a 5.1
                > > Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)
                >
                > omg omg omg! it was meant to beeee! you know its only a matter of
                > time until the boys get jiggy with some 5.1 stuff :)

                Me thinks that the stupid chart release rules could be worked to great
                effect here - I would *love* to have a three format release, with a 5.1
                mix on DVD. Not much scope for remixes on such a release though :-/

                --
                From Phil
              • Trevor Heitlauf
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
                  Hmmm, Anyone think 5.1 could work in a club
                  setting.....heard of quadrphonic being used in a few
                  joints. Lets say replace the Cdj-1000 CD lens with a
                  DVD. Would it be worth it? Considering people move
                  around a club unlike a movie theatre it's probably
                  pointless.....Where is a club that uses quadraphonic
                  anyways? Trev