Re: [Hybrid] Massive Attack "100th Window"

  • R - Freshhhhhhhhhhhh
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
      I know this is off the topic of Hybrid but this new "Massive Attack" album
      is unbelievable. Does anyone know if that's Sinead O'Connor vocals on track
      6 -"A Prayer For England"?
      These boys never let me down!
      Rich
    • Drew Ressler
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
        Yes it is. From http://www.redlines.org.uk/ :

        "100TH WINDOW" is the title of MASSIVE ATTACK's long awaited 4th album, which will be released on 10th February 2003.
        The album, produced by Mark "Spike" Stent, features the following tracks:

        1.FUTURE PROOF (3D)
        2.WHAT YOUR SOUL SINGS (Sinead O'Connor)
        3.EVERYWHEN (Horace Andy)
        4.SPECIAL CASES (Sinead O'Connor)
        5.BUTTERFLY CAUGHT (3D)
        6.A PRAYER FOR ENGLAND (Sinead O'Connor)
        7.SMALL TIME SHOT AWAY (3D)
        8.NAME TAKEN (Horace Andy)
        9.ANTISTAR (3D & 2D)

        After Antistar there is a 13 minute Bassline which takes the the CD up to it's 74 minute capacity.

        Special Cases will be released as a single later in February.

        3D together with Neil Davidge, has moved the sound of the new record to a more melodic place than Mezzanine, with 3D singing rather
        than speaking his vocals. The album is not as rocky as Mezzanine but still quite dark.

        Daddy G, who, although is still a member of Massive Attack and will appear on tour, does not appear on this album as he has been
        devoting his time to his daughter.

        There will be a video made for every single track on the album which will also then appear as a DVD. There is also talk of a 5.1 mix
        of the album in a double pack with lots of different films and animations as well as a stripped back light show concept.

        --Rukes

        > I know this is off the topic of Hybrid but this new "Massive Attack" album
        > is unbelievable. Does anyone know if that's Sinead O'Connor vocals on track
        > 6 -"A Prayer For England"?
        > These boys never let me down!
        > Rich
      • R - Freshhhhhhhhhhhh
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
          Nice one!
          Too bad they are not touring the U.S. for a while,
          Rich

          There site is pretty cool too,
          http://massiveattack.com/

          Sinead's vocal are deffinately making a come back,I can't get enough of
          Hybrids mix of "Tears From The Moon".

          >Yes it is. From http://www.redlines.org.uk/ :
          >
          >"100TH WINDOW" is the title of MASSIVE ATTACK's long awaited 4th album,
          >which will be released on 10th February 2003.
          >The album, produced by Mark "Spike" Stent, features the following tracks:
          <snip>
        • maksidrom <maksidrom@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
            2D, I believe, is Damon Albarn from Blur.

            It is an amazing album and 3D is a very decent singer. All this talk
            about the new album made me go back to the MA Singles Box Set and re-
            listen to all the tracks again... I even dug out my dusty copy of
            Batman Forver OST for "The Hunter..." (still one of my all-time
            Massive Attack & Tracey Thorne fave tunes).

            cheers,
            maksidrom

            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, Drew Ressler <rukes@o...> wrote:
            > Yes it is. From http://www.redlines.org.uk/ :
            >

            > 9.ANTISTAR (3D & 2D)

          • Russell Vint
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
              Isn't 5.1 rubbish for music though? I thought it was only good for movies, I
              always found that it centralises the vocals too much and messes it all up,
              on Pro logic anyway... I suppose it depends on what they do with the
              technology, I've never really heard 5.1 music (except in films) so I'm a
              bit aprehensive :)

              Russ

              > There will be a video made for every single track on the album which will
              also then appear as a DVD. There is also talk of a 5.1 mix
              > of the album in a double pack with lots of different films and animations
              as well as a stripped back light show concept.

              > --Rukes
            • oddball
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
                5.1 can work rather well depending on what type of music it is and how it
                was mixed. I have a few DTS surround sound CD's that are rather good. I
                also have a 5.1 remix of Carl Cox Phuture 2000 in AC3 format that was on
                the DVD single. It's interesting but not a great mix IMHO. The best
                soundtracks that benefit from 5.1 usually tend to be symphonic scores or
                ambient music. Probably because they have a reverberation that works well
                in spreading the soundstage.

                Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode is a new DSP mode on newer amps/recievers
                that emulates 5.1 from a stereo source. This may sound like some of those
                virtual surround methods that add reverb etc and normally I would shy away
                from such a thing. But I've been listening to it and it's miles better than
                any previous surround sound emulation. It's totally discrete meaning no
                reverb is added and no extra noise. It does something to the signal I
                barely comprehend. But the results are amazing! I find myself listening to
                more and more music in this mode. It adds depth and ambience without
                additional noise or effects. You have to hear it to believe it really.
                Stuff that benefits from it mostly is again classical pieces and ambient
                stuff like FSOL type music. But stuff like Hybrid etc also benefits from
                the big soundscapes it can produce.

                However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in proper a 5.1
                Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)

                >Isn't 5.1 rubbish for music though? I thought it was only good for movies, I
                >always found that it centralises the vocals too much and messes it all up,
                >on Pro logic anyway... I suppose it depends on what they do with the
                >technology, I've never really heard 5.1 music (except in films) so I'm a
                >bit aprehensive :)
                >
                >Russ
              • oddball
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
                  Here is an explanation about how DPLII works.

                  http://www.dolby.com/ht/co.br.0107.PLIIListenersGuide.html

                • c_chilton <c_chilton@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 6, 2003
                    > However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in
                    proper a 5.1
                    > Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)

                    omg omg omg! it was meant to beeee! you know its only a matter of
                    time until the boys get jiggy with some 5.1 stuff :)

                    chuck
                  • Phil Stewart
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
                      On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, c_chilton <c_chilton@...> wrote:
                      > > However I would love to hear what Hybrid could come up with in
                      > proper a 5.1
                      > > Dolby Digital or DTS mix. :)
                      >
                      > omg omg omg! it was meant to beeee! you know its only a matter of
                      > time until the boys get jiggy with some 5.1 stuff :)

                      Me thinks that the stupid chart release rules could be worked to great
                      effect here - I would *love* to have a three format release, with a 5.1
                      mix on DVD. Not much scope for remixes on such a release though :-/

                      --
                      From Phil
                    • Trevor Heitlauf
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
                        Hmmm, Anyone think 5.1 could work in a club
                        setting.....heard of quadrphonic being used in a few
                        joints. Lets say replace the Cdj-1000 CD lens with a
                        DVD. Would it be worth it? Considering people move
                        around a club unlike a movie theatre it's probably
                        pointless.....Where is a club that uses quadraphonic
                        anyways? Trev