Re: CD single limitations

  • Vince H.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000
      > From: Stuart Bruce <music@...>
      >

      > Alrighty then; I've heard plenty of complaints about the nearly-new CD
      > single limitations in the UK, allowing only 3 tracks and/or 20 minutes
      > of music on a CD single. But how does the system work in the US?
      >
      > I ask mostly with reference to the US edition of Moby's "Bodyrock",
      > which didn't have the Hybrid remix on it even though (I think) there was
      > the physical room to include it.
      >
      > How many tracks/B-sides are you allowed on a US CD maxi?

      Can't say I'm familiar w/ any rules, as someone has already mentioned on
      this list. However, I wish I knew why the Hybrid mix of "Bodyrock" was not
      included on the U.S. single, because it was a difficult version to trace.
      In addition, the mix was not released officially on vinyl in the UK, either,
      which made it even more difficult to trace!

      > Cheers for any info,
      >
      > Stuart.
      >
      > PS. What do people think of Experiment IV?

      I need to give it a few more listens, but my initial thoughts were
      "impressive," and "who is this vocalist and why was she not commissioned for
      'Wide Angle?'"
    • Stuart Bruce
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2000
        On Thu 06 Jan, Vince H. wrote:
        > > Alrighty then; I've heard plenty of complaints about the nearly-new
        > > CD single limitations in the UK, allowing only 3 tracks and/or 20
        > > minutes of music on a CD single. But how does the system work in the
        > > US?
        > >
        > > I ask mostly with reference to the US edition of Moby's "Bodyrock",
        > > which didn't have the Hybrid remix on it even though (I think) there
        > > was the physical room to include it.
        > >
        > > How many tracks/B-sides are you allowed on a US CD maxi?
        >
        > Can't say I'm familiar w/ any rules, as someone has already mentioned
        > on this list.

        I really must try to figure this out then, as there must be _some_ way
        that you decide which is which... I mean, take the most recent two US
        Pet Shop Boys releases. The album "Nightlife" had 12 tracks - 42
        minutes, the single "New York City Boy" had 9 tracks - 72 minutes!?

        > However, I wish I knew why the Hybrid mix of "Bodyrock" was not
        > included on the U.S. single, because it was a difficult version to
        > trace. In addition, the mix was not released officially on vinyl in
        > the UK, either, which made it even more difficult to trace!

        I must admit I don't think it's one of Hybrid's best though. I think
        it's fairly straightforward stuff as far as Hybrid are concerned.

        > > PS. What do people think of Experiment IV?
        >
        > I need to give it a few more listens, but my initial thoughts were
        > "impressive," and "who is this vocalist and why was she not
        > commissioned for 'Wide Angle?'"

        Similar to my first question- "why was this not on Wide Angle?". It's a
        strong track and would have suited the album, in my opinion.

        Stuart.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart@...