RE: [Hybrid] DJ_Magazine's_Top_100 (what your head Tiesto)

  • Nick Bower
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
      I've seen Tiesto play at the Kremlin in Amsterdam (about a year and a
      half ago) and have to admit that at that time he was pretty good. He can
      mix and played a pretty good set from what I can remember. However,
      maybe its just because I left the trance scene behind (was getting
      rather samey and boring for my taste...besides I always liked
      prog/breaks more) that I now think perhaps a few other DJ's should maybe
      have received the crown of 'Best DJ'. Its highly likely that Tiesto is
      still packing in the crowds to clubs (more in Europe though?) and its
      obvious a hell of a lot of people like him - as they've voted that way.

      I personally *hope* that next year they might be a bit of a shake up on
      the Dj Mag Top 100 DJ's poll - even though trance is the favoured genre
      for a lot of people (and no, I'm not wanting breaks to surge forward and
      wipe the floor with the rest ;). A few of the 'superclubs' where trance
      was played (Cream and I'm thinking Gatecrasher specifically, have now
      died/are dying over here - which were hugely influential in bringing
      trance - this exciting new European sound - to the everyday masses via
      clubs, radio, tv etc etc. Simon Raine from Gatecrasher had impeccable
      timing, he consciously 'showcased' Tiesto to a trance hungry UK crowd a
      few years ago via the club nights and the gatecrasher CD compilations.
      He brought a Dutch DJ right to crowds who would otherwise not have heard
      of him or have got chance to see him play in Europe...and they lapped
      him up).

      I'm unsure if Tiesto now plays smaller UK clubs after the demise of a
      few of the main ones where we played regularly(????), but his sound is
      certainly suited to a larger club/festivals, I think. His DJ'ing diary
      looks like he's playing Europe and the US for the rest of this year with
      only one or two UK dates - one of these being a festival. I would be
      very interested to know if the people who voted for Tiesto this year
      based their voting on his CD's, or actually on having seen him live this
      year - though it seems he's not done many UK DJ sets recently? Without
      many large UK trance clubs booking him, surely Tiesto might not get as
      many votes from UK clubbers and his crown will slip?

      Lastly, I think the fact that Sasha and Digweed are placed 2 and 3 in
      the poll (high places again this year) says that quality shines through
      time and again. These are DJ's who are universally revered and have been
      for some years. It'll be an interesting day the day when they get budged
      from such high rankings [gulp - who by??]

      We'll see...

      Cheers

      :)

      Nick
    • Euclid
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
        Who has the list???

        > I've seen Tiesto play at the Kremlin in Amsterdam (about a year and a
        > half ago) and have to admit that at that time he was pretty good. He can
        > mix and played a pretty good set from what I can remember. However,
        > maybe its just because I left the trance scene behind (was getting
        > rather samey and boring for my taste...besides I always liked
        > prog/breaks more) that I now think perhaps a few other DJ's should maybe
        > have received the crown of 'Best DJ'. Its highly likely that Tiesto is
        > still packing in the crowds to clubs (more in Europe though?) and its
        > obvious a hell of a lot of people like him - as they've voted that way.

        <snip>
      • ally@hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
          --- In HybridUK@y..., "Euclid" <djeuclid@h...> wrote:
          > Who has the list???

          The post with the entire list in is at:

        • Ben Smith
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
            trunky101@... writes:

            <SNIP>
            > I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
            > genres of next year.

            Funny, people have been saying that since 1998, I still don't think it's
            anymore likely to happen.
          • Russell V
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
              IMHO the thing about breaks is its not instantly gratifying. Music like trance, garage etc gets going a lot quicker than breaks, and you know, a lot of people won't give a tune a second chance if its not going mental or doesn't sound phat after 30 seconds of play. Another thing is mainstream music seems to be cherry-picking genres like breaks - has anyone noticed how many more breaks there are in todays music compared with say, the 90's.

              Even if breaks does make it big - all it will do is create a commercial-type breaks market, which is essentially what Garage music is becoming anyway..

              Besides, if theres anything I hate more its stupid robotic Rude Boys telling me some music is really phat, and they show it to you and its something you've known about for ages, and its exactly what they kept telling you is boring and crap, usually not very long before.

              Anyway, just one more thing to say and thats some imprtant info on the green Jellybabies someone mentioned earlier. They slowly turn you into an elf when you sleep and you will be taken in the middle of the night to join the elven underground rave culture, where they play stolen tracks from messageboards, and defend themself with toothpicks and mushrooms of mass-destruction, and with their power, will eventually find the one who is prophesised to bring them to ascencion. You have been warned.

              Russ

            • Alan Duval
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                I dunno, what with the Soul of Man remix of Prince's 'Kiss' and the
                Bushwacka remix of 'Billie Jean' and the increasingly broad range of
                breaks and the advent of so many artist albums coming up, Hybrid, BT,
                etc. and the recent release of ILS and such I think there's more of a
                chance - it probably still won't happen, but there IS more of a
                chance.