Re: [Hybrid] DJ_Magazine's_Top_100 (what your head Tiesto)

  • Oliver Collett
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
      --- In HybridUK@y..., Trevor Heitlauf <theitlau@y...> wrote:
      > George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
      > and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
      > year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
      > memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
      > wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
      > again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

      <Snip>

      I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
      many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
      because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That doesnt
      mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality intelligent
      trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
      something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
      genre... but what does that mean?

      Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard one
      of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
      music selection.
      DJ X plays prog. He can mix.

      What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
      but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather have
      Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.

      I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
      Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
      They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like different
      music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who has
      slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
      before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would that
      be ok? His fans mite not agree...
    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
        --- In HybridUK@y..., "Oliver Collett" <olivercollett@h...> wrote:
        > I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
        > many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
        > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That
        doesnt
        > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality
        intelligent
        > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
        > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
        > genre... but what does that mean?
        >
        > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard
        one
        > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
        > music selection.
        > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
        >
        > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
        > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather
        have
        > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.
        >
        > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
        > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
        > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like
        different
        > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who
        has
        > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
        > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would
        that
        > be ok? His fans mite not agree...

        Hi all it's been a while.

        I couldn't agree with you more. It does make you wonder what people
        base their vote on. It could be that the dj is good at mixing and
        being creative within a mix or just because they play the music they
        like. It does make you wonder.

        I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
        genres of next year. Then you'll get the people who wouldn't have
        raised an eye brow to it before jumping on the band wagon (a nice
        Peace Division track.) I don't know how you guys feel about it but
        to me that would be a real shame.
      • Trevor Heitlauf
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
          Guys, hey I'm just messing around, I have no grudge
          with Tiesto....Acosta, yes, Tiesto, no. Just think
          this so called top dj list makes lil' sense. Still,
          it'd would be funny watchin' Sasha, Tiesto go at it
          with 1200's for the top spot.....come on don't take me
          too seriously......You'll know when I write a serious
          email, they usually end up as long as yours
          was.....Later. Oh, by the way my last hour long dj set
          was all progressive trance....and get this.....it even
          had a remix of George Acosta's Emotions with the
          cheese center part cut out....know what I mean!

          --- Oliver Collett <olivercollett@...> wrote:
          > I often get confused by the way people put their
          > feelings across on
          > many different message boards. I often find myself
          > quite isolated
          > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance
          > music. That doesnt
          > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but
          > quality intelligent
          > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive
          > trance" or
          > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing
          > a particular
          > genre... but what does that mean?
          >
          > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually
          > havent heard one
          > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you
          > don't like his
          > music selection.
          > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
          >
          > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had
          > commercial success etc.
          > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I
          > would FAR rather have
          > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a
          > sham.
          >
          > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto,
          > more that like
          > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that
          > find prog boring.
          > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people
          > who like different
          > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from
          > someone who has
          > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we
          > should think more
          > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and
          > breaks would that
          > be ok? His fans mite not agree...
        • c_chilton
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 3, 2002
            > I'm not suprised in the slightest. We have this same convo every
            > time the Top 100 comes out. I think we all forget that our type of
            > music isn't mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
            > there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our
            world...but
            > they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-Tard.
            >
            > Ally

            I think you summed it up just perfectly!

            Now where did I put my strong hold hair wax....
          • Nick Bower
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
              >Are we gonna have THAT conversation, too?

              >--- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
              >And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
              >sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.

              Nah, I'm quite happy to let leave that one...safe in the knowledge that
              the majority of us probably feel the same...

              [Currently listening to the new Fabric Cd by Hipp-e & Halo...not
              breaks...but verrrry nice].

              Cheers

              :)

            • s_lobo_2
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                Interesting post over on the global-underground board from Nick
                Warren...

                "thanks to the few people who considered my placing as low, but it
                really is of no significance , what alot of you are unaware of is
                that a large number of high profile dj's employ the services of a pr
                agent , this costs the dj on average between £500 and £1000 pounds
                per month to make sure they are constantly in the press, on radio and
                basically in the public eye at all times, i have allways been of the
                opinion that if i have a product ( ie cd ) to sell then do the press
                and media but dont want my ugly mug in the magazines month in and
                month out , what ever your opinion of tiesto he is probably the most
                popular dj in the world and doing a big stadium tour as he did
                recently in the states projects him to the kind of people who like to
                vote , but dont get downhearted ( what shocked me was layo and
                bushwacka"s placing ) just go out and see the people you like , dont
                get caught up in all this doom and gloom about the busines and feckin
                enjoy yourselves"

                An interesting viewpoint, see it for yourself at:

                http://pub129.ezboard.com/fglobalundergroundfrm25.showMessage?
                topicID=5354.topic
              • Nick Bower
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                  I've seen Tiesto play at the Kremlin in Amsterdam (about a year and a
                  half ago) and have to admit that at that time he was pretty good. He can
                  mix and played a pretty good set from what I can remember. However,
                  maybe its just because I left the trance scene behind (was getting
                  rather samey and boring for my taste...besides I always liked
                  prog/breaks more) that I now think perhaps a few other DJ's should maybe
                  have received the crown of 'Best DJ'. Its highly likely that Tiesto is
                  still packing in the crowds to clubs (more in Europe though?) and its
                  obvious a hell of a lot of people like him - as they've voted that way.

                  I personally *hope* that next year they might be a bit of a shake up on
                  the Dj Mag Top 100 DJ's poll - even though trance is the favoured genre
                  for a lot of people (and no, I'm not wanting breaks to surge forward and
                  wipe the floor with the rest ;). A few of the 'superclubs' where trance
                  was played (Cream and I'm thinking Gatecrasher specifically, have now
                  died/are dying over here - which were hugely influential in bringing
                  trance - this exciting new European sound - to the everyday masses via
                  clubs, radio, tv etc etc. Simon Raine from Gatecrasher had impeccable
                  timing, he consciously 'showcased' Tiesto to a trance hungry UK crowd a
                  few years ago via the club nights and the gatecrasher CD compilations.
                  He brought a Dutch DJ right to crowds who would otherwise not have heard
                  of him or have got chance to see him play in Europe...and they lapped
                  him up).

                  I'm unsure if Tiesto now plays smaller UK clubs after the demise of a
                  few of the main ones where we played regularly(????), but his sound is
                  certainly suited to a larger club/festivals, I think. His DJ'ing diary
                  looks like he's playing Europe and the US for the rest of this year with
                  only one or two UK dates - one of these being a festival. I would be
                  very interested to know if the people who voted for Tiesto this year
                  based their voting on his CD's, or actually on having seen him live this
                  year - though it seems he's not done many UK DJ sets recently? Without
                  many large UK trance clubs booking him, surely Tiesto might not get as
                  many votes from UK clubbers and his crown will slip?

                  Lastly, I think the fact that Sasha and Digweed are placed 2 and 3 in
                  the poll (high places again this year) says that quality shines through
                  time and again. These are DJ's who are universally revered and have been
                  for some years. It'll be an interesting day the day when they get budged
                  from such high rankings [gulp - who by??]

                  We'll see...

                  Cheers

                  :)

                  Nick
                • Euclid
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                    Who has the list???

                    > I've seen Tiesto play at the Kremlin in Amsterdam (about a year and a
                    > half ago) and have to admit that at that time he was pretty good. He can
                    > mix and played a pretty good set from what I can remember. However,
                    > maybe its just because I left the trance scene behind (was getting
                    > rather samey and boring for my taste...besides I always liked
                    > prog/breaks more) that I now think perhaps a few other DJ's should maybe
                    > have received the crown of 'Best DJ'. Its highly likely that Tiesto is
                    > still packing in the crowds to clubs (more in Europe though?) and its
                    > obvious a hell of a lot of people like him - as they've voted that way.

                    <snip>
                  • ally@hybrid-group.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                      --- In HybridUK@y..., "Euclid" <djeuclid@h...> wrote:
                      > Who has the list???

                      The post with the entire list in is at:

                    • Ben Smith
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                        trunky101@... writes:

                        <SNIP>
                        > I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
                        > genres of next year.

                        Funny, people have been saying that since 1998, I still don't think it's
                        anymore likely to happen.
                      • Russell V
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                          IMHO the thing about breaks is its not instantly gratifying. Music like trance, garage etc gets going a lot quicker than breaks, and you know, a lot of people won't give a tune a second chance if its not going mental or doesn't sound phat after 30 seconds of play. Another thing is mainstream music seems to be cherry-picking genres like breaks - has anyone noticed how many more breaks there are in todays music compared with say, the 90's.

                          Even if breaks does make it big - all it will do is create a commercial-type breaks market, which is essentially what Garage music is becoming anyway..

                          Besides, if theres anything I hate more its stupid robotic Rude Boys telling me some music is really phat, and they show it to you and its something you've known about for ages, and its exactly what they kept telling you is boring and crap, usually not very long before.

                          Anyway, just one more thing to say and thats some imprtant info on the green Jellybabies someone mentioned earlier. They slowly turn you into an elf when you sleep and you will be taken in the middle of the night to join the elven underground rave culture, where they play stolen tracks from messageboards, and defend themself with toothpicks and mushrooms of mass-destruction, and with their power, will eventually find the one who is prophesised to bring them to ascencion. You have been warned.

                          Russ

                        • Alan Duval
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                            I dunno, what with the Soul of Man remix of Prince's 'Kiss' and the
                            Bushwacka remix of 'Billie Jean' and the increasingly broad range of
                            breaks and the advent of so many artist albums coming up, Hybrid, BT,
                            etc. and the recent release of ILS and such I think there's more of a
                            chance - it probably still won't happen, but there IS more of a
                            chance.