Re: [Hybrid] DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll

  • Alan Duval
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
      Are we gonna have THAT conversation, too?

      --- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
      And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
      sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
        The exception that proves the rule?

        --- In HybridUK@y..., "John Royle" <john@s...> wrote:
        I have to say tho, that when it comes to nationwide poles like these,
        my general rule of thumb is to switch the whole thing round to get a
        more realistic perspective. Take the top 40 music charts... when has
        being number 1 ever been an idication of a good song!!

      • Trevor Heitlauf
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
          George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
          and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
          year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
          memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
          wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
          again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

          Go Sasha!!! when he's not lookin slama 1200 into
          Tiesto's head, would be much appreciated. :)

          --- Sapna Modi <smodi@...> wrote:
          > The results of DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll
          > - this year voted for by the readers of DJ and
          > Dotmusic - have been announced.

          <snip>
        • Oliver Collett
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
            --- In HybridUK@y..., Trevor Heitlauf <theitlau@y...> wrote:
            > George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
            > and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
            > year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
            > memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
            > wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
            > again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

            <Snip>

            I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
            many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
            because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That doesnt
            mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality intelligent
            trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
            something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
            genre... but what does that mean?

            Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard one
            of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
            music selection.
            DJ X plays prog. He can mix.

            What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
            but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather have
            Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.

            I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
            Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
            They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like different
            music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who has
            slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
            before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would that
            be ok? His fans mite not agree...
          • Daniel
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
              --- In HybridUK@y..., "Oliver Collett" <olivercollett@h...> wrote:
              > I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
              > many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
              > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That
              doesnt
              > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality
              intelligent
              > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
              > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
              > genre... but what does that mean?
              >
              > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard
              one
              > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
              > music selection.
              > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
              >
              > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
              > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather
              have
              > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.
              >
              > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
              > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
              > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like
              different
              > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who
              has
              > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
              > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would
              that
              > be ok? His fans mite not agree...

              Hi all it's been a while.

              I couldn't agree with you more. It does make you wonder what people
              base their vote on. It could be that the dj is good at mixing and
              being creative within a mix or just because they play the music they
              like. It does make you wonder.

              I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
              genres of next year. Then you'll get the people who wouldn't have
              raised an eye brow to it before jumping on the band wagon (a nice
              Peace Division track.) I don't know how you guys feel about it but
              to me that would be a real shame.
            • Trevor Heitlauf
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
                Guys, hey I'm just messing around, I have no grudge
                with Tiesto....Acosta, yes, Tiesto, no. Just think
                this so called top dj list makes lil' sense. Still,
                it'd would be funny watchin' Sasha, Tiesto go at it
                with 1200's for the top spot.....come on don't take me
                too seriously......You'll know when I write a serious
                email, they usually end up as long as yours
                was.....Later. Oh, by the way my last hour long dj set
                was all progressive trance....and get this.....it even
                had a remix of George Acosta's Emotions with the
                cheese center part cut out....know what I mean!

                --- Oliver Collett <olivercollett@...> wrote:
                > I often get confused by the way people put their
                > feelings across on
                > many different message boards. I often find myself
                > quite isolated
                > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance
                > music. That doesnt
                > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but
                > quality intelligent
                > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive
                > trance" or
                > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing
                > a particular
                > genre... but what does that mean?
                >
                > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually
                > havent heard one
                > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you
                > don't like his
                > music selection.
                > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
                >
                > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had
                > commercial success etc.
                > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I
                > would FAR rather have
                > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a
                > sham.
                >
                > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto,
                > more that like
                > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that
                > find prog boring.
                > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people
                > who like different
                > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from
                > someone who has
                > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we
                > should think more
                > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and
                > breaks would that
                > be ok? His fans mite not agree...
              • c_chilton
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2002
                  > I'm not suprised in the slightest. We have this same convo every
                  > time the Top 100 comes out. I think we all forget that our type of
                  > music isn't mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
                  > there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our
                  world...but
                  > they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-Tard.
                  >
                  > Ally

                  I think you summed it up just perfectly!

                  Now where did I put my strong hold hair wax....
                • Nick Bower
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                    >Are we gonna have THAT conversation, too?

                    >--- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
                    >And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
                    >sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.

                    Nah, I'm quite happy to let leave that one...safe in the knowledge that
                    the majority of us probably feel the same...

                    [Currently listening to the new Fabric Cd by Hipp-e & Halo...not
                    breaks...but verrrry nice].

                    Cheers

                    :)

                  • s_lobo_2
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                      Interesting post over on the global-underground board from Nick
                      Warren...

                      "thanks to the few people who considered my placing as low, but it
                      really is of no significance , what alot of you are unaware of is
                      that a large number of high profile dj's employ the services of a pr
                      agent , this costs the dj on average between £500 and £1000 pounds
                      per month to make sure they are constantly in the press, on radio and
                      basically in the public eye at all times, i have allways been of the
                      opinion that if i have a product ( ie cd ) to sell then do the press
                      and media but dont want my ugly mug in the magazines month in and
                      month out , what ever your opinion of tiesto he is probably the most
                      popular dj in the world and doing a big stadium tour as he did
                      recently in the states projects him to the kind of people who like to
                      vote , but dont get downhearted ( what shocked me was layo and
                      bushwacka"s placing ) just go out and see the people you like , dont
                      get caught up in all this doom and gloom about the busines and feckin
                      enjoy yourselves"

                      An interesting viewpoint, see it for yourself at:

                      http://pub129.ezboard.com/fglobalundergroundfrm25.showMessage?
                      topicID=5354.topic
                    • Nick Bower
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                        I've seen Tiesto play at the Kremlin in Amsterdam (about a year and a
                        half ago) and have to admit that at that time he was pretty good. He can
                        mix and played a pretty good set from what I can remember. However,
                        maybe its just because I left the trance scene behind (was getting
                        rather samey and boring for my taste...besides I always liked
                        prog/breaks more) that I now think perhaps a few other DJ's should maybe
                        have received the crown of 'Best DJ'. Its highly likely that Tiesto is
                        still packing in the crowds to clubs (more in Europe though?) and its
                        obvious a hell of a lot of people like him - as they've voted that way.

                        I personally *hope* that next year they might be a bit of a shake up on
                        the Dj Mag Top 100 DJ's poll - even though trance is the favoured genre
                        for a lot of people (and no, I'm not wanting breaks to surge forward and
                        wipe the floor with the rest ;). A few of the 'superclubs' where trance
                        was played (Cream and I'm thinking Gatecrasher specifically, have now
                        died/are dying over here - which were hugely influential in bringing
                        trance - this exciting new European sound - to the everyday masses via
                        clubs, radio, tv etc etc. Simon Raine from Gatecrasher had impeccable
                        timing, he consciously 'showcased' Tiesto to a trance hungry UK crowd a
                        few years ago via the club nights and the gatecrasher CD compilations.
                        He brought a Dutch DJ right to crowds who would otherwise not have heard
                        of him or have got chance to see him play in Europe...and they lapped
                        him up).

                        I'm unsure if Tiesto now plays smaller UK clubs after the demise of a
                        few of the main ones where we played regularly(????), but his sound is
                        certainly suited to a larger club/festivals, I think. His DJ'ing diary
                        looks like he's playing Europe and the US for the rest of this year with
                        only one or two UK dates - one of these being a festival. I would be
                        very interested to know if the people who voted for Tiesto this year
                        based their voting on his CD's, or actually on having seen him live this
                        year - though it seems he's not done many UK DJ sets recently? Without
                        many large UK trance clubs booking him, surely Tiesto might not get as
                        many votes from UK clubbers and his crown will slip?

                        Lastly, I think the fact that Sasha and Digweed are placed 2 and 3 in
                        the poll (high places again this year) says that quality shines through
                        time and again. These are DJ's who are universally revered and have been
                        for some years. It'll be an interesting day the day when they get budged
                        from such high rankings [gulp - who by??]

                        We'll see...

                        Cheers

                        :)

                        Nick
                      • Euclid
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                          Who has the list???

                        • ally@hybrid-group.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                            --- In HybridUK@y..., "Euclid" <djeuclid@h...> wrote:
                            > Who has the list???

                            The post with the entire list in is at:

                          • Ben Smith
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                              trunky101@... writes:

                              <SNIP>
                              > I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
                              > genres of next year.

                              Funny, people have been saying that since 1998, I still don't think it's
                              anymore likely to happen.
                            • Russell V
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                                IMHO the thing about breaks is its not instantly gratifying. Music like trance, garage etc gets going a lot quicker than breaks, and you know, a lot of people won't give a tune a second chance if its not going mental or doesn't sound phat after 30 seconds of play. Another thing is mainstream music seems to be cherry-picking genres like breaks - has anyone noticed how many more breaks there are in todays music compared with say, the 90's.

                                Even if breaks does make it big - all it will do is create a commercial-type breaks market, which is essentially what Garage music is becoming anyway..

                                Besides, if theres anything I hate more its stupid robotic Rude Boys telling me some music is really phat, and they show it to you and its something you've known about for ages, and its exactly what they kept telling you is boring and crap, usually not very long before.

                                Anyway, just one more thing to say and thats some imprtant info on the green Jellybabies someone mentioned earlier. They slowly turn you into an elf when you sleep and you will be taken in the middle of the night to join the elven underground rave culture, where they play stolen tracks from messageboards, and defend themself with toothpicks and mushrooms of mass-destruction, and with their power, will eventually find the one who is prophesised to bring them to ascencion. You have been warned.

                                Russ

                              • Alan Duval
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                                  I dunno, what with the Soul of Man remix of Prince's 'Kiss' and the
                                  Bushwacka remix of 'Billie Jean' and the increasingly broad range of
                                  breaks and the advent of so many artist albums coming up, Hybrid, BT,
                                  etc. and the recent release of ILS and such I think there's more of a
                                  chance - it probably still won't happen, but there IS more of a
                                  chance.