Re: DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll

  • Alan Duval
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
      No surprise, then. Right names, wrong order ;)

      --- In HybridUK@y..., "Sapna Modi" <smodi@c...> wrote:
      The results of DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll - this year voted
      for by the readers of DJ and Dotmusic - have been announced.
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
        Are we gonna have THAT conversation, too?

        --- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
        And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
        sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.
      • Alan Duval
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
          The exception that proves the rule?

          --- In HybridUK@y..., "John Royle" <john@s...> wrote:
          I have to say tho, that when it comes to nationwide poles like these,
          my general rule of thumb is to switch the whole thing round to get a
          more realistic perspective. Take the top 40 music charts... when has
          being number 1 ever been an idication of a good song!!

        • Trevor Heitlauf
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
            George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
            and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
            year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
            memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
            wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
            again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

            Go Sasha!!! when he's not lookin slama 1200 into
            Tiesto's head, would be much appreciated. :)

            --- Sapna Modi <smodi@...> wrote:
            > The results of DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll
            > - this year voted for by the readers of DJ and
            > Dotmusic - have been announced.

            <snip>
          • Oliver Collett
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
              --- In HybridUK@y..., Trevor Heitlauf <theitlau@y...> wrote:
              > George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
              > and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
              > year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
              > memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
              > wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
              > again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

              <Snip>

              I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
              many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
              because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That doesnt
              mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality intelligent
              trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
              something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
              genre... but what does that mean?

              Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard one
              of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
              music selection.
              DJ X plays prog. He can mix.

              What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
              but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather have
              Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.

              I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
              Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
              They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like different
              music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who has
              slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
              before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would that
              be ok? His fans mite not agree...
            • Daniel
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
                --- In HybridUK@y..., "Oliver Collett" <olivercollett@h...> wrote:
                > I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
                > many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
                > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That
                doesnt
                > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality
                intelligent
                > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
                > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
                > genre... but what does that mean?
                >
                > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard
                one
                > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
                > music selection.
                > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
                >
                > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
                > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather
                have
                > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.
                >
                > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
                > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
                > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like
                different
                > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who
                has
                > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
                > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would
                that
                > be ok? His fans mite not agree...

                Hi all it's been a while.

                I couldn't agree with you more. It does make you wonder what people
                base their vote on. It could be that the dj is good at mixing and
                being creative within a mix or just because they play the music they
                like. It does make you wonder.

                I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
                genres of next year. Then you'll get the people who wouldn't have
                raised an eye brow to it before jumping on the band wagon (a nice
                Peace Division track.) I don't know how you guys feel about it but
                to me that would be a real shame.
              • Trevor Heitlauf
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
                  Guys, hey I'm just messing around, I have no grudge
                  with Tiesto....Acosta, yes, Tiesto, no. Just think
                  this so called top dj list makes lil' sense. Still,
                  it'd would be funny watchin' Sasha, Tiesto go at it
                  with 1200's for the top spot.....come on don't take me
                  too seriously......You'll know when I write a serious
                  email, they usually end up as long as yours
                  was.....Later. Oh, by the way my last hour long dj set
                  was all progressive trance....and get this.....it even
                  had a remix of George Acosta's Emotions with the
                  cheese center part cut out....know what I mean!

                  --- Oliver Collett <olivercollett@...> wrote:
                  > I often get confused by the way people put their
                  > feelings across on
                  > many different message boards. I often find myself
                  > quite isolated
                  > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance
                  > music. That doesnt
                  > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but
                  > quality intelligent
                  > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive
                  > trance" or
                  > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing
                  > a particular
                  > genre... but what does that mean?
                  >
                  > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually
                  > havent heard one
                  > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you
                  > don't like his
                  > music selection.
                  > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
                  >
                  > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had
                  > commercial success etc.
                  > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I
                  > would FAR rather have
                  > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a
                  > sham.
                  >
                  > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto,
                  > more that like
                  > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that
                  > find prog boring.
                  > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people
                  > who like different
                  > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from
                  > someone who has
                  > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we
                  > should think more
                  > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and
                  > breaks would that
                  > be ok? His fans mite not agree...
                • c_chilton
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2002
                    > I'm not suprised in the slightest. We have this same convo every
                    > time the Top 100 comes out. I think we all forget that our type of
                    > music isn't mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
                    > there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our
                    world...but
                    > they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-Tard.
                    >
                    > Ally

                    I think you summed it up just perfectly!

                    Now where did I put my strong hold hair wax....
                  • Nick Bower
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                      >Are we gonna have THAT conversation, too?

                      >--- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
                      >And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
                      >sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.

                      Nah, I'm quite happy to let leave that one...safe in the knowledge that
                      the majority of us probably feel the same...

                      [Currently listening to the new Fabric Cd by Hipp-e & Halo...not
                      breaks...but verrrry nice].

                      Cheers

                      :)

                    • s_lobo_2
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                        Interesting post over on the global-underground board from Nick
                        Warren...

                        "thanks to the few people who considered my placing as low, but it
                        really is of no significance , what alot of you are unaware of is
                        that a large number of high profile dj's employ the services of a pr
                        agent , this costs the dj on average between £500 and £1000 pounds
                        per month to make sure they are constantly in the press, on radio and
                        basically in the public eye at all times, i have allways been of the
                        opinion that if i have a product ( ie cd ) to sell then do the press
                        and media but dont want my ugly mug in the magazines month in and
                        month out , what ever your opinion of tiesto he is probably the most
                        popular dj in the world and doing a big stadium tour as he did
                        recently in the states projects him to the kind of people who like to
                        vote , but dont get downhearted ( what shocked me was layo and
                        bushwacka"s placing ) just go out and see the people you like , dont
                        get caught up in all this doom and gloom about the busines and feckin
                        enjoy yourselves"

                        An interesting viewpoint, see it for yourself at:

                        http://pub129.ezboard.com/fglobalundergroundfrm25.showMessage?
                        topicID=5354.topic
                      • Nick Bower
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                          I've seen Tiesto play at the Kremlin in Amsterdam (about a year and a
                          half ago) and have to admit that at that time he was pretty good. He can
                          mix and played a pretty good set from what I can remember. However,
                          maybe its just because I left the trance scene behind (was getting
                          rather samey and boring for my taste...besides I always liked
                          prog/breaks more) that I now think perhaps a few other DJ's should maybe
                          have received the crown of 'Best DJ'. Its highly likely that Tiesto is
                          still packing in the crowds to clubs (more in Europe though?) and its
                          obvious a hell of a lot of people like him - as they've voted that way.

                          I personally *hope* that next year they might be a bit of a shake up on
                          the Dj Mag Top 100 DJ's poll - even though trance is the favoured genre
                          for a lot of people (and no, I'm not wanting breaks to surge forward and
                          wipe the floor with the rest ;). A few of the 'superclubs' where trance
                          was played (Cream and I'm thinking Gatecrasher specifically, have now
                          died/are dying over here - which were hugely influential in bringing
                          trance - this exciting new European sound - to the everyday masses via
                          clubs, radio, tv etc etc. Simon Raine from Gatecrasher had impeccable
                          timing, he consciously 'showcased' Tiesto to a trance hungry UK crowd a
                          few years ago via the club nights and the gatecrasher CD compilations.
                          He brought a Dutch DJ right to crowds who would otherwise not have heard
                          of him or have got chance to see him play in Europe...and they lapped
                          him up).

                          I'm unsure if Tiesto now plays smaller UK clubs after the demise of a
                          few of the main ones where we played regularly(????), but his sound is
                          certainly suited to a larger club/festivals, I think. His DJ'ing diary
                          looks like he's playing Europe and the US for the rest of this year with
                          only one or two UK dates - one of these being a festival. I would be
                          very interested to know if the people who voted for Tiesto this year
                          based their voting on his CD's, or actually on having seen him live this
                          year - though it seems he's not done many UK DJ sets recently? Without
                          many large UK trance clubs booking him, surely Tiesto might not get as
                          many votes from UK clubbers and his crown will slip?

                          Lastly, I think the fact that Sasha and Digweed are placed 2 and 3 in
                          the poll (high places again this year) says that quality shines through
                          time and again. These are DJ's who are universally revered and have been
                          for some years. It'll be an interesting day the day when they get budged
                          from such high rankings [gulp - who by??]

                          We'll see...

                          Cheers

                          :)

                          Nick
                        • Euclid
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                            Who has the list???

                          • ally@hybrid-group.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                              --- In HybridUK@y..., "Euclid" <djeuclid@h...> wrote:
                              > Who has the list???

                              The post with the entire list in is at:

                            • Ben Smith
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                                trunky101@... writes:

                                <SNIP>
                                > I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
                                > genres of next year.

                                Funny, people have been saying that since 1998, I still don't think it's
                                anymore likely to happen.
                              • Russell V
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                                  IMHO the thing about breaks is its not instantly gratifying. Music like trance, garage etc gets going a lot quicker than breaks, and you know, a lot of people won't give a tune a second chance if its not going mental or doesn't sound phat after 30 seconds of play. Another thing is mainstream music seems to be cherry-picking genres like breaks - has anyone noticed how many more breaks there are in todays music compared with say, the 90's.

                                  Even if breaks does make it big - all it will do is create a commercial-type breaks market, which is essentially what Garage music is becoming anyway..

                                  Besides, if theres anything I hate more its stupid robotic Rude Boys telling me some music is really phat, and they show it to you and its something you've known about for ages, and its exactly what they kept telling you is boring and crap, usually not very long before.

                                  Anyway, just one more thing to say and thats some imprtant info on the green Jellybabies someone mentioned earlier. They slowly turn you into an elf when you sleep and you will be taken in the middle of the night to join the elven underground rave culture, where they play stolen tracks from messageboards, and defend themself with toothpicks and mushrooms of mass-destruction, and with their power, will eventually find the one who is prophesised to bring them to ascencion. You have been warned.

                                  Russ

                                • Alan Duval
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                                    I dunno, what with the Soul of Man remix of Prince's 'Kiss' and the
                                    Bushwacka remix of 'Billie Jean' and the increasingly broad range of
                                    breaks and the advent of so many artist albums coming up, Hybrid, BT,
                                    etc. and the recent release of ILS and such I think there's more of a
                                    chance - it probably still won't happen, but there IS more of a
                                    chance.