RE: [Hybrid] DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll

  • Chilvers, Simon
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
      <Snip>
      I'm not suprised in the slightest. We have this same convo every
      time the Top 100 comes out. I think we all forget that our type of
      music isn't mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
      there.

      Ally
      <Snip>

      126th (or what ever it was last year)

      To 91st, is a bloody good step in the right direction!!!

      There are a lot of top "Our type" DJ's in there....

      Danny Howells
      Hernan Cattaneo
      Craig Richards
      Ashley Casselle
      Tom Middleton
      Plumps
      James Zabiela
      Layo and bushwacka
      Nick Warren

      Never fear........ Progressive Breaks will be huge....... Soon!

      Si

      PS... Who the Feck Voted for Armin Van Boring or whatever his name is????
    • Nick Bower
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
        >I think we all forget that our type of music isn't
        mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
        >there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our world...but
        they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-
        >Tard.

        And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
        sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.

        :)

        Nick
      • Phil Stewart
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
          On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Sapna Modi wrote:
          > 2 Sasha
          > 3 John Digweed

          Mmm, surely the other way round

          > 6 Paul Oakenfold
          > 7 Judge Jules

          Oh perlease ...

          > 37 Nick Warren

          I've not heard Mr. Warren DJing, but surely deserving of higher position

          > 91 Hybrid -----------ooooooohhhhhhhhhh!

          Shocking.The world obviously needs to be educated :-)
          At least they got higher than

          > 92 Dave Pearce

          It would have been a sad, sad day if the reverse ever happened :-)

          --
          From Phil
        • s_lobo_2
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
            Amen to that!

            --- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
            > >I think we all forget that our type of music isn't
            > mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
            > >there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our
            world...but
            > they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-
            > >Tard.
            >

            > And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
            > sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.
            >
            > :)
            >
            > Nick
          • John Royle
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
              I have to say tho, that when it comes to nationwide poles like these, my
              general rule of thumb is to switch the whole thing round to get a more
              realistic perspective. Take the top 40 music charts... when has being
              number 1 ever been an idication of a good song!!

            • Alan Duval
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
                No surprise, then. Right names, wrong order ;)

                --- In HybridUK@y..., "Sapna Modi" <smodi@c...> wrote:
                The results of DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll - this year voted
                for by the readers of DJ and Dotmusic - have been announced.
              • Alan Duval

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 1, 2002
                      George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
                      and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
                      year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
                      memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
                      wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
                      again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

                      Go Sasha!!! when he's not lookin slama 1200 into
                      Tiesto's head, would be much appreciated. :)

                      --- Sapna Modi <smodi@...> wrote:
                      > The results of DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll
                      > - this year voted for by the readers of DJ and
                      > Dotmusic - have been announced.

                      <snip>
                    • Oliver Collett
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
                        --- In HybridUK@y..., Trevor Heitlauf <theitlau@y...> wrote:
                        > George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
                        > and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
                        > year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
                        > memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
                        > wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
                        > again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

                        <Snip>

                        I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
                        many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
                        because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That doesnt
                        mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality intelligent
                        trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
                        something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
                        genre... but what does that mean?

                        Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard one
                        of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
                        music selection.
                        DJ X plays prog. He can mix.

                        What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
                        but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather have
                        Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.

                        I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
                        Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
                        They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like different
                        music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who has
                        slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
                        before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would that
                        be ok? His fans mite not agree...
                      • Daniel
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
                          --- In HybridUK@y..., "Oliver Collett" <olivercollett@h...> wrote:
                          > I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
                          > many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
                          > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That
                          doesnt
                          > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality
                          intelligent
                          > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
                          > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
                          > genre... but what does that mean?
                          >
                          > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard
                          one
                          > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
                          > music selection.
                          > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
                          >
                          > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
                          > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather
                          have
                          > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.
                          >
                          > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
                          > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
                          > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like
                          different
                          > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who
                          has
                          > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
                          > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would
                          that
                          > be ok? His fans mite not agree...

                          Hi all it's been a while.

                          I couldn't agree with you more. It does make you wonder what people
                          base their vote on. It could be that the dj is good at mixing and
                          being creative within a mix or just because they play the music they
                          like. It does make you wonder.

                          I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
                          genres of next year. Then you'll get the people who wouldn't have
                          raised an eye brow to it before jumping on the band wagon (a nice
                          Peace Division track.) I don't know how you guys feel about it but
                          to me that would be a real shame.
                        • Trevor Heitlauf
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 2, 2002
                            Guys, hey I'm just messing around, I have no grudge
                            with Tiesto....Acosta, yes, Tiesto, no. Just think
                            this so called top dj list makes lil' sense. Still,
                            it'd would be funny watchin' Sasha, Tiesto go at it
                            with 1200's for the top spot.....come on don't take me
                            too seriously......You'll know when I write a serious
                            email, they usually end up as long as yours
                            was.....Later. Oh, by the way my last hour long dj set
                            was all progressive trance....and get this.....it even
                            had a remix of George Acosta's Emotions with the
                            cheese center part cut out....know what I mean!

                            --- Oliver Collett <olivercollett@...> wrote:
                            > I often get confused by the way people put their
                            > feelings across on
                            > many different message boards. I often find myself
                            > quite isolated
                            > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance
                            > music. That doesnt
                            > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but
                            > quality intelligent
                            > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive
                            > trance" or
                            > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing
                            > a particular
                            > genre... but what does that mean?
                            >
                            > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually
                            > havent heard one
                            > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you
                            > don't like his
                            > music selection.
                            > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
                            >
                            > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had
                            > commercial success etc.
                            > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I
                            > would FAR rather have
                            > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a
                            > sham.
                            >
                            > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto,
                            > more that like
                            > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that
                            > find prog boring.
                            > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people
                            > who like different
                            > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from
                            > someone who has
                            > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we
                            > should think more
                            > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and
                            > breaks would that
                            > be ok? His fans mite not agree...
                          • c_chilton
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 3, 2002
                              > I'm not suprised in the slightest. We have this same convo every
                              > time the Top 100 comes out. I think we all forget that our type of
                              > music isn't mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
                              > there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our
                              world...but
                              > they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-Tard.
                              >
                              > Ally

                              I think you summed it up just perfectly!

                              Now where did I put my strong hold hair wax....
                            • Nick Bower
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                                >Are we gonna have THAT conversation, too?

                                >--- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
                                >And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
                                >sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.

                                Nah, I'm quite happy to let leave that one...safe in the knowledge that
                                the majority of us probably feel the same...

                                [Currently listening to the new Fabric Cd by Hipp-e & Halo...not
                                breaks...but verrrry nice].

                                Cheers

                                :)

                              • s_lobo_2
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                                  Interesting post over on the global-underground board from Nick
                                  Warren...

                                  "thanks to the few people who considered my placing as low, but it
                                  really is of no significance , what alot of you are unaware of is
                                  that a large number of high profile dj's employ the services of a pr
                                  agent , this costs the dj on average between £500 and £1000 pounds
                                  per month to make sure they are constantly in the press, on radio and
                                  basically in the public eye at all times, i have allways been of the
                                  opinion that if i have a product ( ie cd ) to sell then do the press
                                  and media but dont want my ugly mug in the magazines month in and
                                  month out , what ever your opinion of tiesto he is probably the most
                                  popular dj in the world and doing a big stadium tour as he did
                                  recently in the states projects him to the kind of people who like to
                                  vote , but dont get downhearted ( what shocked me was layo and
                                  bushwacka"s placing ) just go out and see the people you like , dont
                                  get caught up in all this doom and gloom about the busines and feckin
                                  enjoy yourselves"

                                  An interesting viewpoint, see it for yourself at:

                                  http://pub129.ezboard.com/fglobalundergroundfrm25.showMessage?
                                  topicID=5354.topic
                                • Nick Bower
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                                    I've seen Tiesto play at the Kremlin in Amsterdam (about a year and a
                                    half ago) and have to admit that at that time he was pretty good. He can
                                    mix and played a pretty good set from what I can remember. However,
                                    maybe its just because I left the trance scene behind (was getting
                                    rather samey and boring for my taste...besides I always liked
                                    prog/breaks more) that I now think perhaps a few other DJ's should maybe
                                    have received the crown of 'Best DJ'. Its highly likely that Tiesto is
                                    still packing in the crowds to clubs (more in Europe though?) and its
                                    obvious a hell of a lot of people like him - as they've voted that way.

                                    I personally *hope* that next year they might be a bit of a shake up on
                                    the Dj Mag Top 100 DJ's poll - even though trance is the favoured genre
                                    for a lot of people (and no, I'm not wanting breaks to surge forward and
                                    wipe the floor with the rest ;). A few of the 'superclubs' where trance
                                    was played (Cream and I'm thinking Gatecrasher specifically, have now
                                    died/are dying over here - which were hugely influential in bringing
                                    trance - this exciting new European sound - to the everyday masses via
                                    clubs, radio, tv etc etc. Simon Raine from Gatecrasher had impeccable
                                    timing, he consciously 'showcased' Tiesto to a trance hungry UK crowd a
                                    few years ago via the club nights and the gatecrasher CD compilations.
                                    He brought a Dutch DJ right to crowds who would otherwise not have heard
                                    of him or have got chance to see him play in Europe...and they lapped
                                    him up).

                                    I'm unsure if Tiesto now plays smaller UK clubs after the demise of a
                                    few of the main ones where we played regularly(????), but his sound is
                                    certainly suited to a larger club/festivals, I think. His DJ'ing diary
                                    looks like he's playing Europe and the US for the rest of this year with
                                    only one or two UK dates - one of these being a festival. I would be
                                    very interested to know if the people who voted for Tiesto this year
                                    based their voting on his CD's, or actually on having seen him live this
                                    year - though it seems he's not done many UK DJ sets recently? Without
                                    many large UK trance clubs booking him, surely Tiesto might not get as
                                    many votes from UK clubbers and his crown will slip?

                                    Lastly, I think the fact that Sasha and Digweed are placed 2 and 3 in
                                    the poll (high places again this year) says that quality shines through
                                    time and again. These are DJ's who are universally revered and have been
                                    for some years. It'll be an interesting day the day when they get budged
                                    from such high rankings [gulp - who by??]

                                    We'll see...

                                    Cheers

                                    :)

                                    Nick
                                  • Euclid
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                                      Who has the list???

                                    • ally@hybrid-group.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 4, 2002
                                        --- In HybridUK@y..., "Euclid" <djeuclid@h...> wrote:
                                        > Who has the list???

                                        The post with the entire list in is at:

                                      • Ben Smith
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                                          trunky101@... writes:

                                          <SNIP>
                                          > I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
                                          > genres of next year.

                                          Funny, people have been saying that since 1998, I still don't think it's
                                          anymore likely to happen.
                                        • Russell V
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                                            IMHO the thing about breaks is its not instantly gratifying. Music like trance, garage etc gets going a lot quicker than breaks, and you know, a lot of people won't give a tune a second chance if its not going mental or doesn't sound phat after 30 seconds of play. Another thing is mainstream music seems to be cherry-picking genres like breaks - has anyone noticed how many more breaks there are in todays music compared with say, the 90's.

                                            Even if breaks does make it big - all it will do is create a commercial-type breaks market, which is essentially what Garage music is becoming anyway..

                                            Besides, if theres anything I hate more its stupid robotic Rude Boys telling me some music is really phat, and they show it to you and its something you've known about for ages, and its exactly what they kept telling you is boring and crap, usually not very long before.

                                            Anyway, just one more thing to say and thats some imprtant info on the green Jellybabies someone mentioned earlier. They slowly turn you into an elf when you sleep and you will be taken in the middle of the night to join the elven underground rave culture, where they play stolen tracks from messageboards, and defend themself with toothpicks and mushrooms of mass-destruction, and with their power, will eventually find the one who is prophesised to bring them to ascencion. You have been warned.

                                            Russ

                                          • Alan Duval
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 7, 2002
                                              I dunno, what with the Soul of Man remix of Prince's 'Kiss' and the
                                              Bushwacka remix of 'Billie Jean' and the increasingly broad range of
                                              breaks and the advent of so many artist albums coming up, Hybrid, BT,
                                              etc. and the recent release of ILS and such I think there's more of a
                                              chance - it probably still won't happen, but there IS more of a
                                              chance.