DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll

  • Sapna Modi
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1 4:36 AM
      The results of DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll - this year voted for by the readers of DJ and Dotmusic - have been announced.

      1 Tiesto
      2 Sasha
      3 John Digweed
      4 Paul Van Dyk
      5 Armin Van Buuren
      6 Paul Oakenfold
      7 Judge Jules
      8 Carl Cox
      9 Ferry Corsten
      10 Lee Burridge
      11 Danny Tenaglia
      12 Danny Howells
      13 Steve Lawler
      14 Mauro Picotto
      15 Sander Kleinenberg
      16 Deep Dish
      17 Erick Morillo
      18 Lisa Lashes
      19 Hernan Cattaneo
      20 Roger Sanchez
      21 Fergie
      22 Fatboy Slim
      23 Dave Clarke
      24 Richie Hawtin
      25 Derrick Carter
      26 Pete Tong
      27 Anne Savage
      28 Andy C
      29 Marco V
      30 Satoshi Tomiie
      31 Masters At Work
      32 Seb Fontaine
      33 Darren Emerson
      34 Craig Richards
      35 Eddie Halliwell
      36 John 'OO' Fleming
      37 Nick Warren
      38 Dave Seaman
      39 James Zabiela
      40 Scott Bond
      41 Tom Stephan
      42 John Kelly
      43 Scot Project
      44 Terry Francis
      45 Lottie
      46 Laurent Garnier
      47 Guy Ornadel
      48 Lisa Pin-Up
      49 Anthony Pappa
      50 Johan Gielen
      51 Dave Lee
      52 DJ Marky
      53 Andy Farley
      54 Yousef
      55 Sven Vath
      56 Layo & Bushwacka
      57 Timo Maas
      58 Jeff Mills
      59 Matt Hardwick
      60 Christopher Lawrence
      61 Jimmy Van M
      62 Plump DJs
      63 Tidy Boys
      64 Hype
      65 Chris Fortier
      66 Norman Jay
      67 JFK
      68 Bad Boy Bill
      69 Danny Rampling
      70 Chris Liberator
      71 BK
      72 X-Press 2
      73 Frankie Knuckles
      74 Krafty Kuts
      75 Umek
      76 Tall Paul
      77 Mark Farina
      78 Ashley Casselle
      79 Misstress Barbara
      80 Max Graham
      81 Tony Humphries
      82 Adam Freeland
      83 George Acosta
      84 Mario Piu
      85 David Morales
      86 Stanton Warriors
      87 Alan Thompson
      88 Paul Glazby
      89 Gilles Peterson
      90 Mr.Scruff
      91 Hybrid -----------ooooooohhhhhhhhhh!
      92 Dave Pearce
      93 Tim Deluxe
      94 Zinc
      95 Joy Kitikonti
      96 Smokin' Jo
      97 Grooverider
      98 Slam
      99 Tom Middleton
      100 Dave The Drummer

      Hybrid no.91........What do they know...nothing!

      :)
    • ally@hybrid-group.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1 4:59 AM
        > Hybrid no.91........What do they know...nothing!

        But, correct me if I'm wrong, Hybrid didn't get into the Top 100
        last year did they?

        Ally
      • Nick Bower
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1 5:05 AM
          Tiesto!!!!!!!!!!!??!??! Good, but not *that* good in my opinion

          Nice to see Lee Burridge so high up but I'm a little dissolussioned with
          our boys, the Plumps and James Zabiela being much further down than I
          hoped

          Dammit :/

          Nick
        • ally@hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1 5:07 AM
            --- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
            > Tiesto!!!!!!!!!!!??!??! Good, but not *that* good in my opinion
            >
            > Nice to see Lee Burridge so high up but I'm a little
            dissolussioned with
            > our boys, the Plumps and James Zabiela being much further down
            than I
            > hoped

            I'm not suprised in the slightest. We have this same convo every
            time the Top 100 comes out. I think we all forget that our type of
            music isn't mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
            there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our world...but
            they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-Tard.

            Ally
          • Nick Bower
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1 5:12 AM
              >91 Hybrid -----------ooooooohhhhhhhhhh!
              >92 Dave Pearce

              At least Hybrid beat cheesy Dave Pearce...*phew*. There's a tiny bit of
              justice in the world then. That makes me chuckle.

              :D

              Nick
            • Chilvers, Simon
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1 5:16 AM
                <Snip>
                I'm not suprised in the slightest. We have this same convo every
                time the Top 100 comes out. I think we all forget that our type of
                music isn't mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
                there.

                Ally
                <Snip>

                126th (or what ever it was last year)

                To 91st, is a bloody good step in the right direction!!!

                There are a lot of top "Our type" DJ's in there....

                Danny Howells
                Hernan Cattaneo
                Craig Richards
                Ashley Casselle
                Tom Middleton
                Plumps
                James Zabiela
                Layo and bushwacka
                Nick Warren

                Never fear........ Progressive Breaks will be huge....... Soon!

                Si

                PS... Who the Feck Voted for Armin Van Boring or whatever his name is????
              • Nick Bower
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 1 5:17 AM
                  >I think we all forget that our type of music isn't
                  mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
                  >there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our world...but
                  they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-
                  >Tard.

                  And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
                  sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.

                  :)

                  Nick
                • Phil Stewart
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 1 5:22 AM
                    On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Sapna Modi wrote:
                    > 2 Sasha
                    > 3 John Digweed

                    Mmm, surely the other way round

                    > 6 Paul Oakenfold
                    > 7 Judge Jules

                    Oh perlease ...

                    > 37 Nick Warren

                    I've not heard Mr. Warren DJing, but surely deserving of higher position

                    > 91 Hybrid -----------ooooooohhhhhhhhhh!

                    Shocking.The world obviously needs to be educated :-)
                    At least they got higher than

                    > 92 Dave Pearce

                    It would have been a sad, sad day if the reverse ever happened :-)

                    --
                    From Phil
                  • s_lobo_2
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 1 6:24 AM
                      Amen to that!

                      --- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
                      > >I think we all forget that our type of music isn't
                      > mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
                      > >there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our
                      world...but
                      > they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-
                      > >Tard.
                      >

                      > And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
                      > sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.
                      >
                      > :)
                      >
                      > Nick
                    • John Royle
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 1 7:19 AM
                        I have to say tho, that when it comes to nationwide poles like these, my
                        general rule of thumb is to switch the whole thing round to get a more
                        realistic perspective. Take the top 40 music charts... when has being
                        number 1 ever been an idication of a good song!!

                      • Alan Duval
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 1 1:01 PM
                          No surprise, then. Right names, wrong order ;)

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 1 7:24 PM
                                George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
                                and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
                                year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
                                memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
                                wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
                                again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

                                Go Sasha!!! when he's not lookin slama 1200 into
                                Tiesto's head, would be much appreciated. :)

                                --- Sapna Modi <smodi@...> wrote:
                                > The results of DJ Magazine's annual Top 100 DJ poll
                                > - this year voted for by the readers of DJ and
                                > Dotmusic - have been announced.

                                <snip>
                              • Oliver Collett
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 2 10:05 AM
                                  --- In HybridUK@y..., Trevor Heitlauf <theitlau@y...> wrote:
                                  > George Acosta before Hybrid.....makes me wanna vomit,
                                  > and Tiesto, I guess his name was mentioned a lot this
                                  > year.....those who voted probably had him fresh in
                                  > memory....and thats where he'll stay...in memory,
                                  > wonder if he'll be on the list next year...but then
                                  > again, who in this group will really care! Peace.

                                  <Snip>

                                  I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
                                  many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
                                  because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That doesnt
                                  mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality intelligent
                                  trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
                                  something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
                                  genre... but what does that mean?

                                  Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard one
                                  of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
                                  music selection.
                                  DJ X plays prog. He can mix.

                                  What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
                                  but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather have
                                  Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.

                                  I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
                                  Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
                                  They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like different
                                  music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who has
                                  slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
                                  before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would that
                                  be ok? His fans mite not agree...
                                • Daniel
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 2 3:34 PM
                                    --- In HybridUK@y..., "Oliver Collett" <olivercollett@h...> wrote:
                                    > I often get confused by the way people put their feelings across on
                                    > many different message boards. I often find myself quite isolated
                                    > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance music. That
                                    doesnt
                                    > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but quality
                                    intelligent
                                    > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive trance" or
                                    > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing a particular
                                    > genre... but what does that mean?
                                    >
                                    > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually havent heard
                                    one
                                    > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you don't like his
                                    > music selection.
                                    > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
                                    >
                                    > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had commercial success etc.
                                    > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I would FAR rather
                                    have
                                    > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a sham.
                                    >
                                    > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto, more that like
                                    > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that find prog boring.
                                    > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people who like
                                    different
                                    > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from someone who
                                    has
                                    > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we should think more
                                    > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and breaks would
                                    that
                                    > be ok? His fans mite not agree...

                                    Hi all it's been a while.

                                    I couldn't agree with you more. It does make you wonder what people
                                    base their vote on. It could be that the dj is good at mixing and
                                    being creative within a mix or just because they play the music they
                                    like. It does make you wonder.

                                    I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
                                    genres of next year. Then you'll get the people who wouldn't have
                                    raised an eye brow to it before jumping on the band wagon (a nice
                                    Peace Division track.) I don't know how you guys feel about it but
                                    to me that would be a real shame.
                                  • Trevor Heitlauf
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 2 8:30 PM
                                      Guys, hey I'm just messing around, I have no grudge
                                      with Tiesto....Acosta, yes, Tiesto, no. Just think
                                      this so called top dj list makes lil' sense. Still,
                                      it'd would be funny watchin' Sasha, Tiesto go at it
                                      with 1200's for the top spot.....come on don't take me
                                      too seriously......You'll know when I write a serious
                                      email, they usually end up as long as yours
                                      was.....Later. Oh, by the way my last hour long dj set
                                      was all progressive trance....and get this.....it even
                                      had a remix of George Acosta's Emotions with the
                                      cheese center part cut out....know what I mean!

                                      --- Oliver Collett <olivercollett@...> wrote:
                                      > I often get confused by the way people put their
                                      > feelings across on
                                      > many different message boards. I often find myself
                                      > quite isolated
                                      > because I actually like trance music. Yes, Trance
                                      > music. That doesnt
                                      > mean the cheddar fest that is in the charts, but
                                      > quality intelligent
                                      > trance that is probably now known as "Progressive
                                      > trance" or
                                      > something. I often hear DJ's picked on for playing
                                      > a particular
                                      > genre... but what does that mean?
                                      >
                                      > Tiesto plays trance, yeh? He can mix? (I actually
                                      > havent heard one
                                      > of his live sets, but i gather he can...) But you
                                      > don't like his
                                      > music selection.
                                      > DJ X plays prog. He can mix.
                                      >
                                      > What's the difference? Tiesto may have had
                                      > commercial success etc.
                                      > but there certainly are worse DJs out there. I
                                      > would FAR rather have
                                      > Tiesto as no. 1 than Paul Cokenfold, he's just a
                                      > sham.
                                      >
                                      > I know pleanty of people that actually like Tiesto,
                                      > more that like
                                      > Armin Van Buuren, and i know alot of people that
                                      > find prog boring.
                                      > They arent just pill heads or kids, they are people
                                      > who like different
                                      > music. I know this seems kinda annoying coming from
                                      > someone who has
                                      > slagged off UK Garage... but I really think we
                                      > should think more
                                      > before we type. If Tiesto started playing prog and
                                      > breaks would that
                                      > be ok? His fans mite not agree...
                                    • c_chilton
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 3 12:34 AM
                                        > I'm not suprised in the slightest. We have this same convo every
                                        > time the Top 100 comes out. I think we all forget that our type of
                                        > music isn't mainstream....there's still a helluva lot of cheese out
                                        > there. The Plumps, James Z and Hybrid may be huge in our
                                        world...but
                                        > they're not huge to the average spiky-haired E-Tard.
                                        >
                                        > Ally

                                        I think you summed it up just perfectly!

                                        Now where did I put my strong hold hair wax....
                                      • Nick Bower
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 4 1:40 AM
                                          >Are we gonna have THAT conversation, too?

                                          >--- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
                                          >And long may it stay non-mainstream in my opinion...I'm quite happy
                                          >sticking with 'our world', knowing what else is on offer out there.

                                          Nah, I'm quite happy to let leave that one...safe in the knowledge that
                                          the majority of us probably feel the same...

                                          [Currently listening to the new Fabric Cd by Hipp-e & Halo...not
                                          breaks...but verrrry nice].

                                          Cheers

                                          :)

                                        • s_lobo_2
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 4 2:05 AM
                                            Interesting post over on the global-underground board from Nick
                                            Warren...

                                            "thanks to the few people who considered my placing as low, but it
                                            really is of no significance , what alot of you are unaware of is
                                            that a large number of high profile dj's employ the services of a pr
                                            agent , this costs the dj on average between £500 and £1000 pounds
                                            per month to make sure they are constantly in the press, on radio and
                                            basically in the public eye at all times, i have allways been of the
                                            opinion that if i have a product ( ie cd ) to sell then do the press
                                            and media but dont want my ugly mug in the magazines month in and
                                            month out , what ever your opinion of tiesto he is probably the most
                                            popular dj in the world and doing a big stadium tour as he did
                                            recently in the states projects him to the kind of people who like to
                                            vote , but dont get downhearted ( what shocked me was layo and
                                            bushwacka"s placing ) just go out and see the people you like , dont
                                            get caught up in all this doom and gloom about the busines and feckin
                                            enjoy yourselves"

                                            An interesting viewpoint, see it for yourself at:

                                            http://pub129.ezboard.com/fglobalundergroundfrm25.showMessage?
                                            topicID=5354.topic
                                          • Nick Bower
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 4 2:38 AM
                                              I've seen Tiesto play at the Kremlin in Amsterdam (about a year and a
                                              half ago) and have to admit that at that time he was pretty good. He can
                                              mix and played a pretty good set from what I can remember. However,
                                              maybe its just because I left the trance scene behind (was getting
                                              rather samey and boring for my taste...besides I always liked
                                              prog/breaks more) that I now think perhaps a few other DJ's should maybe
                                              have received the crown of 'Best DJ'. Its highly likely that Tiesto is
                                              still packing in the crowds to clubs (more in Europe though?) and its
                                              obvious a hell of a lot of people like him - as they've voted that way.

                                              I personally *hope* that next year they might be a bit of a shake up on
                                              the Dj Mag Top 100 DJ's poll - even though trance is the favoured genre
                                              for a lot of people (and no, I'm not wanting breaks to surge forward and
                                              wipe the floor with the rest ;). A few of the 'superclubs' where trance
                                              was played (Cream and I'm thinking Gatecrasher specifically, have now
                                              died/are dying over here - which were hugely influential in bringing
                                              trance - this exciting new European sound - to the everyday masses via
                                              clubs, radio, tv etc etc. Simon Raine from Gatecrasher had impeccable
                                              timing, he consciously 'showcased' Tiesto to a trance hungry UK crowd a
                                              few years ago via the club nights and the gatecrasher CD compilations.
                                              He brought a Dutch DJ right to crowds who would otherwise not have heard
                                              of him or have got chance to see him play in Europe...and they lapped
                                              him up).

                                              I'm unsure if Tiesto now plays smaller UK clubs after the demise of a
                                              few of the main ones where we played regularly(????), but his sound is
                                              certainly suited to a larger club/festivals, I think. His DJ'ing diary
                                              looks like he's playing Europe and the US for the rest of this year with
                                              only one or two UK dates - one of these being a festival. I would be
                                              very interested to know if the people who voted for Tiesto this year
                                              based their voting on his CD's, or actually on having seen him live this
                                              year - though it seems he's not done many UK DJ sets recently? Without
                                              many large UK trance clubs booking him, surely Tiesto might not get as
                                              many votes from UK clubbers and his crown will slip?

                                              Lastly, I think the fact that Sasha and Digweed are placed 2 and 3 in
                                              the poll (high places again this year) says that quality shines through
                                              time and again. These are DJ's who are universally revered and have been
                                              for some years. It'll be an interesting day the day when they get budged
                                              from such high rankings [gulp - who by??]

                                              We'll see...

                                              Cheers

                                              :)

                                              Nick
                                            • Euclid
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 4 2:58 AM
                                                Who has the list???

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 4 3:21 AM
                                                  --- In HybridUK@y..., "Euclid" <djeuclid@h...> wrote:
                                                  > Who has the list???

                                                  The post with the entire list in is at:

                                                • Ben Smith
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 7 2:47 AM
                                                    trunky101@... writes:

                                                    <SNIP>
                                                    > I bet my bottom dollar that breaks will be one of the big music
                                                    > genres of next year.

                                                    Funny, people have been saying that since 1998, I still don't think it's
                                                    anymore likely to happen.
                                                  • Russell V
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 7 9:14 AM
                                                      IMHO the thing about breaks is its not instantly gratifying. Music like trance, garage etc gets going a lot quicker than breaks, and you know, a lot of people won't give a tune a second chance if its not going mental or doesn't sound phat after 30 seconds of play. Another thing is mainstream music seems to be cherry-picking genres like breaks - has anyone noticed how many more breaks there are in todays music compared with say, the 90's.

                                                      Even if breaks does make it big - all it will do is create a commercial-type breaks market, which is essentially what Garage music is becoming anyway..

                                                      Besides, if theres anything I hate more its stupid robotic Rude Boys telling me some music is really phat, and they show it to you and its something you've known about for ages, and its exactly what they kept telling you is boring and crap, usually not very long before.

                                                      Anyway, just one more thing to say and thats some imprtant info on the green Jellybabies someone mentioned earlier. They slowly turn you into an elf when you sleep and you will be taken in the middle of the night to join the elven underground rave culture, where they play stolen tracks from messageboards, and defend themself with toothpicks and mushrooms of mass-destruction, and with their power, will eventually find the one who is prophesised to bring them to ascencion. You have been warned.

                                                      Russ

                                                    • Alan Duval
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 7 11:03 AM
                                                        I dunno, what with the Soul of Man remix of Prince's 'Kiss' and the
                                                        Bushwacka remix of 'Billie Jean' and the increasingly broad range of
                                                        breaks and the advent of so many artist albums coming up, Hybrid, BT,
                                                        etc. and the recent release of ILS and such I think there's more of a
                                                        chance - it probably still won't happen, but there IS more of a
                                                        chance.