CD single limitations

  • Stuart Bruce
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2000
      Alrighty then; I've heard plenty of complaints about the nearly-new CD
      single limitations in the UK, allowing only 3 tracks and/or 20 minutes
      of music on a CD single. But how does the system work in the US?

      I ask mostly with reference to the US edition of Moby's "Bodyrock",
      which didn't have the Hybrid remix on it even though (I think) there was
      the physical room to include it.

      How many tracks/B-sides are you allowed on a US CD maxi?

      Cheers for any info,

      Stuart.

      PS. What do people think of Experiment IV?

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2000
        --- Stuart Bruce <music@...> wrote:
        > From: Stuart Bruce <music@...>
        >
        > Alrighty then; I've heard plenty of complaints about
        > the nearly-new CD
        > single limitations in the UK, allowing only 3 tracks
        > and/or 20 minutes
        > of music on a CD single. But how does the system
        > work in the US?
        >
        > I ask mostly with reference to the US edition of
        > Moby's "Bodyrock",
        > which didn't have the Hybrid remix on it even though
        > (I think) there was
        > the physical room to include it.
        >
        > How many tracks/B-sides are you allowed on a US CD
        > maxi?

        --I'm not aware of any limitations placed on US CD
        maxisingles, either by the government or by the
        recording industry. I checked out several of my CD
        maxisingles. The number of tracks pretty much range
        from three to eight tracks. Running times range from
        35 to 60 minutes. BT's "Remember" CD maxisingle has
        61 minutes of music (8 tracks) plus a Quicktime video
        of "Remember."

        While I'm posting here, I should let y'all know that I
        bought the Japanese 2-CD version of "Wide Angle" a
        month or so ago, as well as the "If I Survive" CD
        single. These were my first (and only, so far) Hybrid
        purchases. Pretty cool stuff overall. I also picked
        up BT's latest album, "Movement In Still Life", which
        I like a lot, even more so than the Hybrid album.

        BTW thanks for the info on WOW's "Ajare". Stuart, I
        bid on your copy on EBay but I wasn't able to log on
        and outbid the final bid. If the buyer doesn't end up
        purchasing the CD from you, let me know.

        Aamir Qazi
        aamir_qazi@...

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Vince H.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000
          > From: Stuart Bruce <music@...>
          >

          > Alrighty then; I've heard plenty of complaints about the nearly-new CD
          > single limitations in the UK, allowing only 3 tracks and/or 20 minutes
          > of music on a CD single. But how does the system work in the US?
          >
          > I ask mostly with reference to the US edition of Moby's "Bodyrock",
          > which didn't have the Hybrid remix on it even though (I think) there was
          > the physical room to include it.
          >
          > How many tracks/B-sides are you allowed on a US CD maxi?

          Can't say I'm familiar w/ any rules, as someone has already mentioned on
          this list. However, I wish I knew why the Hybrid mix of "Bodyrock" was not
          included on the U.S. single, because it was a difficult version to trace.
          In addition, the mix was not released officially on vinyl in the UK, either,
          which made it even more difficult to trace!

          > Cheers for any info,
          >
          > Stuart.
          >
          > PS. What do people think of Experiment IV?

          I need to give it a few more listens, but my initial thoughts were
          "impressive," and "who is this vocalist and why was she not commissioned for
          'Wide Angle?'"
        • Stuart Bruce
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2000
            On Thu 06 Jan, Vince H. wrote:
            > > Alrighty then; I've heard plenty of complaints about the nearly-new
            > > CD single limitations in the UK, allowing only 3 tracks and/or 20
            > > minutes of music on a CD single. But how does the system work in the
            > > US?
            > >
            > > I ask mostly with reference to the US edition of Moby's "Bodyrock",
            > > which didn't have the Hybrid remix on it even though (I think) there
            > > was the physical room to include it.
            > >
            > > How many tracks/B-sides are you allowed on a US CD maxi?
            >
            > Can't say I'm familiar w/ any rules, as someone has already mentioned
            > on this list.

            I really must try to figure this out then, as there must be _some_ way
            that you decide which is which... I mean, take the most recent two US
            Pet Shop Boys releases. The album "Nightlife" had 12 tracks - 42
            minutes, the single "New York City Boy" had 9 tracks - 72 minutes!?

            > However, I wish I knew why the Hybrid mix of "Bodyrock" was not
            > included on the U.S. single, because it was a difficult version to
            > trace. In addition, the mix was not released officially on vinyl in
            > the UK, either, which made it even more difficult to trace!

            I must admit I don't think it's one of Hybrid's best though. I think
            it's fairly straightforward stuff as far as Hybrid are concerned.

            > > PS. What do people think of Experiment IV?
            >
            > I need to give it a few more listens, but my initial thoughts were
            > "impressive," and "who is this vocalist and why was she not
            > commissioned for 'Wide Angle?'"

            Similar to my first question- "why was this not on Wide Angle?". It's a
            strong track and would have suited the album, in my opinion.

            Stuart.