3027Re(2): [Hybrid] Re: NGCBD

  • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
    May 31, 2001
      HybridUK@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >>June 4 according to Amazon
      >
      > Aye, HMV said it was probably only put back a week. Does anyone
      >know why dance singles keep being put back ludicrous numbers of times?

      There are all sorts of different reasons; including:

      - last-minute pressing problems or change of artwork/format plans (as has
      just happened to the Utah Saints release)

      - last-minute distribution problems, apparently fairly common (if the CDs
      don't arrive at enough of the stores, a label might delay a release so the
      shops that have received the CDs have to sit on them for a week... so
      they're nice and warm), which can cause a week's delay

      - a lot of big-name singles buy record shelf space in big CD shops. If
      when you walk into a Virgin Megastore, the most prominent single on
      display is Geri Halliwell and not Westlife (for example), it's not because
      Virgin reckon Geri will sell more CDs- it's because Geri's
      promotion/record label have booked & paid the chain for the most prominent
      placing. Smaller releases also buy the smaller racks on the next shelf and
      the shelf after that- which is why different stores of the same chain at
      opposite ends of the country will have the "new release singles" organised
      in very similar ways. If a label is trying to book the space, they might
      realise that the half-decent spaces for a certain week are all booked up,
      but there's an opening the following week that would put the record on
      more prominent display, and hence sell more copies.

      - deciding to wait for a record to 'warm up' in playlists etc., most
      labels try to release singles in the week that the track is likely to get
      played most on radio, so if they decide the track is a 'slow burner' (such
      as the new Delerium single, and with the rerelease of "Silence" as well)
      they'll nudge it back until it's at its 'peak'- still fresh but
      widely-enough heard. A record can also get pushed back if it's not doing
      very well on playlists, either because the label are hoping that it will
      take off at a later date, or because the label is simply losing interest
      and might end up dropping the release altogether

      - the artists' schedules may change- if a band get a TV appearance on a
      Saturday, then they might decide to release their single on the Monday
      _after_ rather than the Monday before as a result. Most labels will
      probably want their artists to be available for general press and
      promotion during the relevant week of release, etc.

      - the label might decide (for example) that too many 'big' dance singles
      are being released on May 28th, and the BT single might get dwarfed; so it
      might stand a better chance of a high chart place if it is released a week
      later. Big name artists such as Oasis and Blur always used to, in their
      own interests, not release singles during the same week, because it would
      damage both bands' sales; then one week the two bands suddenly scheduled
      singles for the same release date and rather than one band backing off, it
      became war.

      - some record labels put out release dates that are too early
      deliberately, in order to make people anticipate the release more, and
      possibly even ask about the record at the shops before it's released,
      consequently generating building interest. It's a hype thing.

      - they just feel like it.

      and probably lots and lots of other reasons I haven't thought about too.

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart.bruce@...