24973Re: [Hybrid] Formula of Fear

  • dcraig@nmt.edu
    Jul 29, 2008
      Sorry, that's the software engineer inside of me. We dorks nit-pick
      accuracy. I could see the second disc being a disappointment to some.
      Hell, after hearing the samples I expected it to be disappointing too.
      I've never been fond of Tech House either but I think they chose tracks
      that really worked for me personally this time, which I find amazing. I
      agree, the Echoplex mixes have always been superior to the Matrix Dubs,
      Gouryella being the prime example of that to me.

      I find the reactions to disc one interesting. Some people adore it right
      away, some people it grows on, and some unilaterally hate it and discard
      it.
      I'd love an explanation how that works but it's too much of a gray area
      for that. Do some people expect upbeat from Hybrid only and when it
      doesn't fit that they move on? Are some people open to different styles
      but just caught off guard by this particular CD? I know I had a unique
      entry into electronic music, through FSOL albums. So my tolerance for
      obtuse sounds is a lot higher than most people who approach from a more
      dance oriented direction.

      That's actually a heavy feature of glitch style music. They end up
      stuttering the hi hats/percussion and causing small portions of sounds to
      be repeated quickly. It all pretty much ends up sounding the same in the
      end (to myself anyway.)

      Dan