24967RE: [Hybrid] Formula of Fear

  • James Warren
    Jul 25, 2008
      I daresay I'll go down as a heretic but I loved both cds. Cd1 is superb
      downtempo, emotional material. Beautifully programmed and elegantly mixed.
      CD2 was a pleasant surprise to say the least. I'm rather pleased Hybrid have
      moved into doing some of the prog house type stuff at least in dj sets and
      what we're beginning to see in remixes. I loved the way Long Range carried
      on for several mins into the next track or 2. The Lank tune is tip top too.

      I think elements of the prog breaks thing are getting a bit long in the
      tooth. In order to survive, you need to evolve as an artist (some would no
      doubt argue 'regress' in this case). If you want to get gigs and get other
      people to play your music you have to at least make some concessions as to
      what's currently en vogue at a given moment in time. My guess is that Hybrid
      have recognised this and adapted accordingly. It's no use putting breaks
      remixes/production (prog or otherwise) if only the people on this list buy
      them or play them. Making music for tv and film is a different ball game of
      course and I guess there's much greater scope for the epic, orchestral type
      of sound in that field.

      There's a lot of great music out there and I don't see a problem with a
      variation in approach. In fact it makes me think there's a brighter for
      Hybrid.

      That said, I'll probably be proved completely wrong an album 4 will be a
      return to Wide Angle J.

      JW