23073Re: Coachella Performance!!

  • hoojchoon420
    May 2 7:23 PM
      --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "zem_the_mattress"
      <Zem_the_mattress@...> wrote:

      > Ummm - where to begin......
      >
      > I came to this show expecting it to be "very good", but instead I
      will summarize with
      > "knocked me out of my socks - and, on my ass". While I didn't see
      any of the Wide Angle
      > live dates (were there any?), I liked this show much more than the
      Morning Sci fi live date I
      > saw.
      >
      > It started with Chris announcing that they would be playing new
      material. First track was
      > sort of an instrumental version of "This is What it Means", then
      started in on an epic
      > string/break arrangement with Peter DiStefano on guitar (playing it
      with a bow!) for like 10
      > min or so. Then John Graham came out to do vocals on a couple of
      tracks; the first one
      > was relatively chill, the second was heavier with lots of guitar
      riffs. I kind of lost track
      > after that because I was going apes@#% dancing (along with most of
      the front area) but
      > Perry Farrell came out and did two or three tracks. The first I'll
      call "spirit of the sound"(a
      > prevalent lyric) , a really awesome uplifting vocal track. Then he
      asked: "Are you ready to
      > get Kinky????, cause I'm right there with you!!!" Then followed a
      really funky "freak" song. I
      > think "Kill City" followed then another sort of familiar vocal
      track.........I can't exactly recall
      > the end, but we'll say it included Mike dropping a gargantu-bassline
      (think the first drop
      > from "True to Form" but even bigger) like 4 times, a spontaneous
      dance circle, and "bass/
      > dance derived sexual arousal" (kid you not) on the part of one of
      that dancing circle.......

      > To say the least, it was a magical experience. The cast (Hybrid
      + Peter DiStefano + John
      > + Perry + unknown man on left console (peter hook?)) worked really
      well together; and the
      > enthusiasm/energy was obvious. The performance was absolutely
      seamless and
      > apparently effortless. The sound system in the dance tent (this
      year anyhow) was
      > awesome. I jumped up a couple of times to peek back in the tent and
      it was at least 2/3
      > packed. Obviously many of the heads were there for Perry Farrell,
      but I am certain that
      > there were a whole lot of new fans made at this performance. 5-6 of
      the people we were
      > dancing with were converted. Also, I was stopped a few times later
      in the day (I was
      > wearing the shirt of course) by people who hadn't heard of Hybrid
      before Saturday.

      > Anyhow, if the new album sounds half as good as this show was, I
      will be really happy.
      > All of you need to beg, borrow, steal, or even kill to make it to
      one of these live dates. To
      > all that didn't make the show: I'm super sad you didn't make it.....
      And much thanks to
      > Jason for telling me who's who, and what's what. I apologize
      sincerely for any
      > inaccuracies of info here. The opinions expressed are all mine
      though ;-D

      > Dave
      >
      > P.S. took a few pics - should be a link posted tommorow

      Freaking amazing. I was on the left side of the stage, about 2 back-
      I'm relatively tall so I feel guilty getting right in front. Close
      enough to matter though, best Hybrid experience ever for me. Maybe
      that's because it's the first live set I've seen?

      I converted at least one person- I just emailed him links to all the
      sites today, and urged him to buy their albums.

      By the way, I loved Infusion's set. I didn't even know who they were
      before this event, but recognised a couple tracks from mixes I've DL'd.

      Other Coachella highlights for me were Common, Coheed and Cambria,
      Gabrielle (mmmm), and Michael Mayer. Mayer's space invaders graphics
      on the screens complimented his minimalist style perfectly. WOW!

      Well worth the flight from Tampa and all the $ I had to throw down.
      Expensive, but worth it!

      I may just turn into a follower and try to catch every live set from
      now on, regardless of where they play!
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic