Re: [EMHL] _Mathesis_ Journal

  • Lambrou Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2000
      On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 xpolakis@... wrote:

      > In this remarkable List of Journals that have Mathematical Problem Columns
      >
      > http://www.mathpropress.com/problemJournals.html
      >
      > are listed many journals, and among them one I am interested:
      >
      > Mathesis
      > Publisher: Gauthier-Villars
      > Place of publication: Belgium
      > Language: French
      > Journal began: 1881 Ceased publication: 1962
      > Problem column began: 1(1881) Problem column ended:
      > 70(1962)
      >
      > Does anyone know a bookstore (online or not) where I could buy volumes from?

      If you find the Journal, I would ask you for a favour:
      Caratheodory in a short autobiography of his (in Greek) says that
      when he participated at a mathematical competition as a student (he
      was in Belgium, as his father was in the Diplomatic Service)
      and got the first prize, he was the only student to solve
      "a rather difficult problem". He mentions who he thinks the
      proposer was (I forget the name) and that the problems and
      solutions are to be found in the above mentioned Mathesis, of the
      time. When I go home I will search my notes for the exact date
      and issue.
      Could someone with access to Mathesis tell us the problem?

      To change the subject.
      Antreas, did you go to the auction that had ANTIPELARGESIS as
      an item? What happened? How much did it fetch? Who payed the
      piper? (Now that I have three sons at College, abroad, I couldn't
      afford it even for a tenth of the estimate, so I wouldn't be
      ....jealous if he/she got it for a song).

      Michael.
    • xpolakis@otenet.gr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2000
        [APH]:

        >> In this remarkable List of Journals that have Mathematical Problem Columns
        >>
        >> http://www.mathpropress.com/problemJournals.html
        >>
        >> are listed many journals, and among them one I am interested:
        >>
        >> Mathesis
        >> Publisher: Gauthier-Villars
        >> Place of publication: Belgium
        >> Language: French
        >> Journal began: 1881 Ceased publication: 1962
        >> Problem column began: 1(1881) Problem column ended:
        >> 70(1962)
        >>
        >> Does anyone know a bookstore (online or not) where I could buy volumes from?

        [Michael Lambrou]:

        > If you find the Journal, I would ask you for a favour:
        > Caratheodory in a short autobiography of his (in Greek) says that
        >when he participated at a mathematical competition as a student (he
        >was in Belgium, as his father was in the Diplomatic Service)

        ... of the Ottoman Empire.

        There is an anecdote with his father (I write from memory).

        In 1878, he was representing Ottomans, and met an European politician (name?),
        to discuss about a treaty (betwwen Ottoman Empire and Greece, if I remember
        correctly). When he left politician's office, came in the office the diplomat
        of Greece. Then the politician remarked:
        -- One Greek left, and another Greek came!

        >and got the first prize, he was the only student to solve
        >"a rather difficult problem". He mentions who he thinks the
        >proposer was (I forget the name) and that the problems and
        >solutions are to be found in the above mentioned Mathesis, of the
        >time. When I go home I will search my notes for the exact date
        >and issue.
        > Could someone with access to Mathesis tell us the problem?

        .... and I would like to know which the problem was!

        > To change the subject.
        > Antreas, did you go to the auction that had ANTIPELARGESIS as
        >an item? What happened? How much did it fetch? Who payed the

        No, I didn't, since I couldn't take part !

        My book sources are cheaper than auctions, you know!
        A month ago or so, I found in Monastiraki (Athens Flea Market)
        the library of a math. professor of National Tecnical Univ. of Athens,
        and bought two large boxes full of French mathematical books (most of
        them published before WW II)
        Last weekend I bought (from Monastiraki again), a box with German math. books,
        from a library of a civil enginner.

        As for _Antipelargesis_:
        A copy is found in Crete: In the Vikelaia Library in Herakleion
        (In library's Catalogue: 035 1F)
        Another copies are in the National Library of Greece, and in the Library
        of Aristotelian Univ. in Thessaloniki
        (information from A. Poulos, Greek Math. Bibliography)

        >piper? (Now that I have three sons at College, abroad, I couldn't
        >afford it even for a tenth of the estimate, so I wouldn't be
        >....jealous if he/she got it for a song).

        Antreas
      • Lambrou Michael
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2000

          > As for _Antipelargesis_:
          > A copy is found in Crete: In the Vikelaia Library in Herakleion
          > (In library's Catalogue: 035 1F)

          Yes I know: I am part of the team of Giannis Karas that records
          for each science book in Greek published during Ottoman times (prior to
          1821)
          a)the location of each copy we could lay our hands on
          b)a list of all names mentioned within (including "identification" of
          those names that are "greekissised", as was common then: E.g. Ariotos is
          identified as Thomas Harriot)
          c)list of all definitions (so e.g. we can trace the first appearence in
          Greece of mathematical terms that did not exist in
          antiquity: e.g. logarithm,derivative, sine etc)
          d)detailed list of contents.

          It is a massive work. With Nikos Kastanis (of the University of
          Thessaloniki) and Maria Terdimou (school teacher at Iraklion) we share
          the load for all ( and I believe ALL) mathematics books. Others do
          Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, Medicine and Geography.
          The lot will be published in a CD.
          Also in about six months we will publish a collective work, 800 pages so
          far, with an analysis of each branch. As far as mathematics goes,
          Kastanis did the chapter on "Algebra", Terdimou "Geometry" and
          "Arithmetic", I did "Trigonometry", and together with Kastanis we did
          "Conic sections" and we are still doing "Calculus".

          The particular copy of Antipelargisis in my home town, that you mention,
          is in a very bad condition.Unfortunately most pages cannot be opened: An
          insect had a go at it. Although the damn insect did not learn a word of
          mathematics, it penetrated verticaly and horizontally on the pages, that
          now look like a delicate lace, interwoven here and there. If you attempt
          to open most pages, they simply tare.

          > Another copies are in the National Library of Greece, and in the Library
          > of Aristotelian Univ. in Thessaloniki
          > (information from A. Poulos, Greek Math. Bibliography)

          If I remember well, there is yet another copy at Gennadios Library in
          Athens.

          Recall that Antipelargisis (date 1816) is about a ruler and compass
          "method" of copy of dublicating the cube. It is based on a booklet
          published (memory says, in 1746) by the authors' father. Well that one
          exists in one copy only, at the Romanian Academy in Bucharest. Of this
          last I had to rely on a photocopy when I did my research on it.

          That is all for now.
          Michael