Re: AF_a, BF_b, CF_c are concurrent

  • xpolakis@xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2000
      Dear Jean-Pierre

      You wrote:

      >Antreas wrote in message 1 of Jan 1 :
      >? Theorem
      >The lines AF_a, BF_b, CF_c are concurrent where the nine-point circle
      >touches the excircles at F_a, F_b, F_c.

      This Theorem is well-known. The (?) means that I don't know who first
      discovered it.
      See:
      http://cedar.evansville.edu/~ck6/tcenters/class/feuer.html

      >This is true. The intersection of the three lines is barycenter of A, B, C
      >with coefficients :
      >(b + c)^2 (a + b - c) (a + c - b)
      >(c + a)^2 (b + c - a) (b + a - c)
      >(a + b)^2 (c + a - b) (c + b - a)
      >where a, b, c are the legths of the sides BC, CA, AB.
      >May be there is a special name for this point. Why not the Hatzipolakis
      >point or the first Hatzipolakis point - many other ones will perhaps
      >follow -?

      :-))

      >Proof by brute force :
      >A barycentric equation for the nine-point circle is
      >(b^2 + c^2 - a^2) u^2 + (c^2 + a^2 - b^2) v^2 + (a^2 + b^2 - c^2) w^2 - 2
      >c^2 u v - 2 a^2 v w - 2 b^2 w u = 0
      >and for the A-excircle
      >(a + b + c)^2 u^2 + (a + b - c)^2 v^2 + (a + c - b)^2 w^2 + 2 (a + b + c) (a
      >+ b - c) u v - 2 (a + b - c) (a + c - b) v w + 2 (a + b +c) (a + c - b) w u
      >= 0
      >Hence F_a is barycenter of A, B, C with coefficients
      >- (b - c)^2 (a + b + c)
      >(a + c)^2 (a + b - c)
      >(a + b)^2 (a + c - b)
      >By symetry, we have, for F_b
      >(b + c)^2 (b + a - c)
      >- (c - a)^2 (b + c + a)
      >(b + a)^2 (b + c - a)
      >and, for F_c,
      >(c + b)^2 (c + a - b)
      >(c + a)^2 (c + b - a)
      >- (a - b)^2 (c + a + b)
      >and the result with an easy computation.
      >Friendly from France.
      >Jean-Pierre Ehrmann

      Greetings from Athens

      Antreas
    • John Conway
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2000
        On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Jean-Pierre.EHRMANN wrote:

        > Antreas wrote in message 1 of Jan 1 :
        > ? Theorem
        > The lines AF_a, BF_b, CF_c are concurrent where the nine-point circle
        > touches the excircles at F_a, F_b, F_c.

        Antreas - this is in the Greek book on triangle geometry that you
        kindly sent me. It is in fact part of the "desmic" theory. There are
        four points Fa,Fb,Fc,Fo where the NPC touches the four incircles,
        and four perspectors of ABC with the triangles formed by 3 of them,
        namely

        Fo' of Fa,Fb,Fc
        Fa' of Fo,Fc,Fb
        Fb' of Fc,Fo,Fa
        Fc' of Fb,Fa,Fo

        Then symmetrically, Fo,Fa,Fb,Fc are the perspectors of ABC with
        the triangles formed by taking triples from Fo',Fa',Fb',Fc', and these
        two quartets form a desmic triple with A,B,C,D, where D (the "desmon")
        is where the lines FoFo',FaFa',FbFb',FcFc' meet.

        John Conway
      • Steve Sigur
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2000
          on 1/7/00 8:16 PM Jean-Pierre.EHRMANN wrote

          >The lines AF_a, BF_b, CF_c are concurrent where the nine-point circle
          >touches the excircles at F_a, F_b, F_c.
          >This is true. The intersection of the three lines is barycenter of A, B, C
          >with coefficients :
          >(b + c)^2 (a + b - c) (a + c - b)
          >(c + a)^2 (b + c - a) (b + a - c)
          >(a + b)^2 (c + a - b) (c + b - a)

          I call this point the Feuerbach mate but perhaps it deserves a better
          name. It is the second center of similarity of the incircle and the 9pt
          circle. This point, along with Fo, is on the line connecting the incenter
          to the 9pt circle.

          The Feuerbach points are the first centers of similarity between the 9pt
          circles and the 4 in/excircles.

          Since it is weak and the above formulas depend on the sides, this point
          has 3 extra versions, which are themselves the second centers of
          similarity of the 9PC and the excircles.

          I denote these 4 points Fmo, Fma, Fmb, and Fmc.

          The points Fx, Fmx, and ABCN form a desmic triple of quadrangles in the
          following way

          o a b c

          I N A B C
          II Fo Fa Fb Fc
          III Fmo Fma Fmb Fmc

          N, the 9 pt center is the strong point that hold them together (the
          "desmon," in Conway's terminology). The four incenter Ix are the harmonic
          "halo" accompanying these points.

          Steve
        • darij_grinberg <darij_grinberg@web.de>
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2002
            I am going to resurrect a discussion which ended two years ago.
            Hereby, I refer to #61, #93, #94, #110, #125.

            The problem is to prove that the lines AFa, BFb, CFc are concurrent,
            where Fa, Fb, Fc are the points of touch of the 9pt circle with the
            excircles. I am going to show that all three lines pass through the
            point F', the internal center of similtude of the 9pt circle with the
            incircle.

            In fact, note that the Feuerbach point F is the EXTERNAL CENTER OF
            SIMILTUDE of 9pt and incircle, and Fa, Fb, Fc are the INTERNAL
            CENTERS OF SIMILTUDE of 9pt and respective excircles. Now,

            * F' is the internal center of similtude of 9pt and incircle;
            * Fa is the internal center of similtude of 9pt and a-excircle;
            * A is the external center of similtude of incircle and a-excircle
            (really easy to prove).

            By Monge's theorem, the point A, F' and Fa are collinear, i. e. AFa
            passes through F'. Similarly, BFb and CFc pass through F', qed.

            The point F' is Clark Kimberling's X(12); I call it HARMONICAL
            FEUERBACH POINT. Similar points can be defined for the 9pt circle and
            the excircles.

            Sincerely,
            Darij Grinberg