Not geometry but interesting!

  • Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:41:37 -0800 (PST)
      >From: Ed Pegg Jr <ed@...>
      >To: math-fun <math-fun@...>
      >Subject: [math-fun] 2^20996011 -1 is prime
      >

      > 2^20996011 - 1 is a big prime number.
      >
      > See http://mersenne.org/prepress12012003.htm for more details.
      >
      > --Ed Pegg Jr

      Quoting the first two paragraphs of the web page:

      ORLANDO, Florida - December 2, 2003 -- Michael Shafer, a 26 year-old
      volunteer in the Mersenne.org research project called the Great Internet
      Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), has discovered the largest known prime
      number. Shafer used a Michigan State University lab PC and free software
      by George Woltman and Scott Kurowski as part of an international grid of
      211,000 networked computers in virtually every time zone of the world.

      The new number, expressed as 2 to the 20,996,011th power minus 1, has
      6,320,430 decimal digits and was discovered November 17th. It is more
      than two million digits larger than the previous largest known prime number,
      and belongs to a special class of rare prime numbers called Mersenne
      primes . The discovery marks only the 40th known Mersenne prime, named
      after Marin Mersenne , a 17th century French monk who first studied the
      numbers 300 years ago.

      --
    • Paul Yiu
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        Dear Antreas,

        Thank you very much. Earlier today I was preparing my number theory notes
        for the coming semester,
        and was checking the record of Mersenne primes. I came across this in Chris
        Caldwell's page who
        indicated that the record is from 2003. I did not realize that it is as new
        as today!

        Best regards
        Sincerely
        Paul

        At 12/3/2003 12:48 AM +0200, you wrote:
        > >Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:41:37 -0800 (PST)
        > >From: Ed Pegg Jr <ed@...>
        > >To: math-fun <math-fun@...>
        > >Subject: [math-fun] 2^20996011 -1 is prime
        > >

        > > 2^20996011 - 1 is a big prime number.
        > >
        > > See
        > <http://mersenne.org/prepress12012003.htm>http://mersenne.org/prepress12012003.htm
        > for more details.
        > >
        > > --Ed Pegg Jr
        > >

        >Quoting the first two paragraphs of the web page:
        >
        >ORLANDO, Florida - December 2, 2003 -- Michael Shafer, a 26 year-old
        >volunteer in the Mersenne.org research project called the Great Internet
        >Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), has discovered the largest known prime
        >number. Shafer used a Michigan State University lab PC and free software
        >by George Woltman and Scott Kurowski as part of an international grid of
        >211,000 networked computers in virtually every time zone of the world.
        >
        >The new number, expressed as 2 to the 20,996,011th power minus 1, has
        >6,320,430 decimal digits and was discovered November 17th. It is more
        >than two million digits larger than the previous largest known prime number,
        >and belongs to a special class of rare prime numbers called Mersenne
        >primes . The discovery marks only the 40th known Mersenne prime, named
        >after Marin Mersenne , a 17th century French monk who first studied the
        >numbers 300 years ago.
        >

        >--
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c6r6l97/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705083386:HM/EXP=1070491506/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732>2b32a7bf.jpg
        >2b32a7de.jpg

      • Paul Yiu
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          >Dear Antreas,

          [PY]: Thank you very much. Earlier today I was preparing my number theory
          notes
          >for the coming semester,
          >and was checking the record of Mersenne primes. I came across this in Chris
          >Caldwell's page who
          >indicated that the record is from 2003. I did not realize that it is as new
          >as today!

          Of course I have not read it carefully. It was discovered 2 weeks ago.

          Best regards
          Sincerely
          Paul