Re: [EMHL] Concurrent lines but not in triangle

  • John Conway
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2000
      On Sun, 7 May 2000 xpolakis@... wrote:

      > >This is an old problem, first solved by a Duchman math/an (name?),
      > >and by Conway (and Somebody ?).

      No, I didn't solve this problem, although I did do some work
      on it. It was completely solved about 5 years ago by Bjorn(?) Poonen
      and Mike Rubinstein.

      John Conway.
    • xpolakis@otenet.gr
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2000
        John writes:

        >On Sun, 7 May 2000 xpolakis@... wrote:
        >>
        >> >This is an old problem, first solved by a Duchman math/an (name?),
        >> >and by Conway (and Somebody ?).
        >
        > No, I didn't solve this problem, although I did do some work

        .... which work, according to experts on this problem, was crucial, since...
        (see below)

        >on it. It was completely solved about 5 years ago by Bjorn(?) Poonen
        >and Mike Rubinstein.
        >
        > John Conway.

        Today I quoted Heineken:

        | This problem was given by the Dutch Mathematical Society in the 30's,
        | and one solution was given by G. Bol. Unfortunately, his solution published
        | in _Archief voor Wiskunde_, escaped the attention of many mathematicians,
        | so many articles on this problem or its specific cases appeared;
        | for example, by Conway and Goft, Heineken, and Harborth.
        ^^^^
        It is a misspelling but not of mine. The name I think is Croft.