A poem on Thebault's problem

  • Atul Dixit
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2002
      Dear all,
      I have attempted to make a poem on famous Thebault�s problem and
      it�s solution given by various geometers over the period.My English is not
      good,so please bear with this.
      Also please supply me the details if any more geometers that
      have published it�s solution.I think Dr.John Rigby has solved Thebault�s
      problem in his paper "Tritangent centers,Pascal�s theorem and Thebault�s
      problem - Journal of Geometry 54 (1995) , no. 1-2 , 134-147 ".I don�t have
      the paper with me.If anybody tells me then I�ll surely append their name
      too.

      THEBAULT�S PROBLEM

      For forty-five years remained unsolved,
      The problem proposed by Victor Thebault;
      A prolific geometer from France
      Who posed it to geometry fans,
      Concerning collinear centers three,
      2 of circles touching cevian arbitrary
      and also the base and circumcircle;
      the third one of the incircle

      Tried and tried but people in vain
      Thebault�s problem gained ebullient fame
      No solution arrived at thee
      Until the year came 1983,
      Where K.B.Taylor gave a solution,
      Based upon a lengthy calculation
      24 pages it occupied totally,
      but only summary appeared in the Monthly.

      Later came G.Turnwald,
      Reduced the length of the problem he solved,
      Now it was the turn of Swarnendu Dutta
      A young school boy from Calcutta,
      Solved the problem completely,
      No trigonometry only synthetically!
      Then Ron Shail in 2001 Monthly,
      Gave another solution analytically.

      So exhilarating has been the journey of this sum
      In Honsberger�s term a GREAT mathematical plum,
      Thus for this geometric gem as well as emerald,
      Hats off to VICTOR THEBAULT!!!

      I hope you didn�t get bored.Any suggestions are gratefully welcome.
      Yours faithfully
      Atul.A.Dixit

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
        Dear Atul

        > I have attempted to make a poem on famous Thebault's
        problem and
        > it's solution given by various geometers over the period.>

        Please forgive my ignorance but could you tell me the statement of
        this problem ?(there exists a lot of problems from V. Thebault)
        Many thanks. Jean-Pierre