Triangle centers constructed from O, H, and I

  • yiu@fau.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2001
      Dear friends,

      I have just put the following problem in the Inventory of POLYA:

      http://www.math.fau.edu/POLYA

      Best regards
      Sincerely
      Paul

      --------------

      Inventory015: Triangle centers constructed from O, H, and I (proposed
      by Paul Yiu, 11/30/01).

      This is Problem E2407 of the American Mathematical Monthly, proposed
      by A.G.Walker:

      Given the circumcenter O, the orthocenter H, and the incenter I of an
      unknown triangle (T),
      (a) locate by euclidean construction the Gergonne point and the
      Lemoine point of T,
      (b) locate the orthocenters of the pedal triangles of H and I.

      Editorial Note: This problem is interesting because triangle (T)
      cannot in general be constructed from the given points, but many
      points related to (T), including those mentioned in this problem, can
      be so constructed. The two solutions received are quite involved, so
      we do not take the space here to print either of them.

      Bibliography. [1] A.W.Walker, Problem E2407, American Mathematical
      Monthly, 80 (1973) 316; editorial note, 81 (1974) 406.