Re: [EMHL] Construction problem

  • Boutte Gilles
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2001
      Dear Martin and all Hyacinthians,

      > Construct the triangle ABC if given in position, the
      > line on which the base BC is located,and the feet of
      > the Cevians of O to the two lateral sides.

      An idea :

      Let d = BC.
      Let Ob and Oc be the feet of the Cevians of O to AC and AB.

      Let Mb be the orthogonal projection of Ob on d.
      Let Mc be the orthogonal projection of Oc on d.

      For a point P, let d_P be the line passing through P and parallel to d.

      M = MbOc /\ McOc lies on the A-median of ABC.

      Thus AM and d_A are harmonic conjugate wrt AB = AOc and AC = AOb.

      The locus of such points A is an hyperbola H.

      Let M' be the orthogonal projection of M on d.
      Let O' = ObOc /\ d and M" on MO' such that MM" is parallel to d.

      Ob, Oc, M, M', M" lies on H.

      Thus we can construct H (not necessary).

      For A on H, let B = AOc /\ d and C = AOb /\ d, O1 = BOb /\ COc, O2 the
      circumcenter of ABC.

      The locus of O1 is the rectangular hyperbola H1 passing through Ob, Oc and M',
      with center the midpoint between Ob and Oc,
      with asymptots respectively parallel and perpendicular to d.

      Thus we can construct H1.
      The locus of O2 is a cubic K passing through M'.

      Now the problem is : constuct K and its intersections with H1
      So we obtain 6 possible points O (only 5 : for O = M' the triangle ABC
      degenerates to M')

      Gilles
    • Boutte Gilles
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2001
        Dear Martin and all Hyacinthians

        > [ML]
        >
        > > Construct the triangle ABC if given in position, the
        > > line on which the base BC is located,and the feet of
        > > the Cevians of O to the two lateral sides.
        >
        > [GB]
        > Let d = BC.
        > Let Ob and Oc be the feet of the Cevians of O to AC and AB.
        >
        > Let Mb be the orthogonal projection of Ob on d.
        > Let Mc be the orthogonal projection of Oc on d.
        >
        > For a point P, let d_P be the line passing through P and parallel to d.
        >
        > M = MbOc /\ McOc lies on the A-median of ABC.
        >
        > Thus AM and d_A are harmonic conjugate wrt AB = AOc and AC = AOb.
        >
        > The locus of such points A is an hyperbola H.
        >
        > Let M' be the orthogonal projection of M on d.
        > Let O' = ObOc /\ d and M" on MO' such that MM" is parallel to d.
        >
        > Ob, Oc, M, M', M" lies on H.
        >
        > Thus we can construct H (not necessary).
        >
        > For A on H, let B = AOc /\ d and C = AOb /\ d, O1 = BOb /\ COc, O2 the
        > circumcenter of ABC.
        >
        > The locus of O1 is the rectangular hyperbola H1 passing through Ob, Oc and M',
        > with center the midpoint between Ob and Oc,
        > with asymptots respectively parallel and perpendicular to d.
        >
        > Thus we can construct H1.
        > The locus of O2 is a cubic K passing through M'.
        >
        > Now the problem is : constuct K and its intersections with H1
        > So we obtain 6 possible points O (only 5 : for O = M' the triangle ABC
        > degenerates to M')

        Let d1 be the asymptot of H which is perpendicular to d.
        Let P be the point at infinity on d1.
        Then P is a node on K and the line of infinity is tangent in P at K.

        So we know 3 common points of H1 and K : M' and P double.

        They have 3 other commons points, 2 of those points can be imaginary.

        The problem has one or three solutions.

        Friendly

        Gilles
      • martinton@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2001

          > > [ML]
          > >
          > > > Construct the triangle ABC if given in position, the
          > > > line on which the base BC is located,and the feet of
          > > > the Cevians of O to the two lateral sides.

          [GB]
          > > Let d = BC.
          > > Let Ob and Oc be the feet of the Cevians of O to AC and AB.
          > >
          > > Let Mb be the orthogonal projection of Ob on d.
          > > Let Mc be the orthogonal projection of Oc on d.
          > >
          > > For a point P, let d_P be the line passing through P and parallel
          to d.

          > > M = MbOc /\ McOc lies on the A-median of ABC.
          > >
          > > Thus AM and d_A are harmonic conjugate wrt AB = AOc and AC = AOb.
          > >
          > > The locus of such points A is an hyperbola H.
          > >
          > > Let M' be the orthogonal projection of M on d.
          > > Let O' = ObOc /\ d and M" on MO' such that MM" is parallel to d.
          > >
          > > Ob, Oc, M, M', M" lies on H.
          > >
          > > Thus we can construct H (not necessary).
          > >
          > > For A on H, let B = AOc /\ d and C = AOb /\ d, O1 = BOb /\ COc,
          O2 the
          > > circumcenter of ABC.
          > >
          > > The locus of O1 is the rectangular hyperbola H1 passing through
          Ob, Oc and M',
          > > with center the midpoint between Ob and Oc,
          > > with asymptots respectively parallel and perpendicular to d.
          > >
          > > Thus we can construct H1.
          > > The locus of O2 is a cubic K passing through M'.
          > >
          > > Now the problem is : constuct K and its intersections with H1
          > > So we obtain 6 possible points O (only 5 : for O = M' the
          triangle ABC
          > > degenerates to M')
          >
          > Let d1 be the asymptot of H which is perpendicular to d.
          > Let P be the point at infinity on d1.
          > Then P is a node on K and the line of infinity is tangent in P at K.
          >
          > So we know 3 common points of H1 and K : M' and P double.
          >
          > They have 3 other commons points, 2 of those points can be
          imaginary.

          > The problem has one or three solutions.

          Thank you,Gilles.

          First I solved similar problem with G and H instead of O,but had no
          idea that this case is so difficult.

          Best regards,
          Martin
        • Gilles Boutte
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
            An other solution :

            A1B1C1is the given first Brocard triangle of the unknown triangle ABC.

            Construct first the the circumcircle (O1) and the centroid G of A1B1C1,
            it is the centroid of ABC.

            The line GA1 intersects the circle (O1) at A2. Construct similarly B2
            and C2.
            So A2B2C2 is the second Brocard triangle of ABC.

            Let Bc be the reflection of B2 wrt the tangent to (O1) at C1.
            Let Cb be the reflection of C2 wrt the tangent to (O1) at B1.

            The circumcircles of A2BcC1 and A2B1Cb are intersecting at A2 and at the
            vertex A of the triangle, we have to construct.

            Best regards,

            Gilles Boutte

            >[DK]
            >
            >Johnson, page 280:
            >
            >===
            >The solution depends onthe fact that any triangle is inversively similar to
            >its first Brocard triangle.
            >We locate the Brocard points of the given triangle, also its first Brocard
            >triangle; then by similarity we locate on the circumcircle of the given
            >triangle the Brocard points of the required triangle.
            >The vertices of the latter can then be found at once.
            >===
            >
            >Is this what you did?
            >
            >Regards,
            >Dick Klingens
            >
            >[AD]
            >
            >Dear all
            >Given the first Brocard triangle of triangle ABC,how to construct
            >the triangle ABC ?
            >
            >My solution has become unnecessarily long.Will anybody tell me a precise
            >solution of it?
            >
            >Yours faithfully
            >Atul.A.Dixit

          • Atul Dixit
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
              Dear Dick and Gilles

              Thank you.Actually my solution is somewhat similar(though not efficient) as
              that given by Boutte Gilles.Actually,I didn't thought of using the second
              Brocard triangle.

              Yours faithfully
              Atul.A.Dixit