your most interesting geometrical feature of this year

  • Chris Van Tienhoven
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2012
      Dear friends,

      In the Netherlands yesterday we celebrated "Sinterklaas".
      For centuries we celebrate this feast, where "Sinterklaas" (Saint Nicolaas) gives presents to the children.
      Of course it are the parents who buy the presents and pretend they are coming from "Sinterklaas". In the Netherlands almost all children under 10 years old collectively believe these presents are coming from Sinterklaas.
      The Americans grasped the idea from immigrated Dutchmen, changed the date and called it Santa Claus.
      In the Netherlands we love new feasts and so we now also celebrate Santa Claus too. And so December is a big feast month here.

      What does this have to do with geometry?

      I was thinking that it would be a nice idea to make December also a special month of sharing gifts in the form of our most special geometrical observation of the past year.
      I am sure that most of us regularly has these moments of enlightenment when we discover a new geometrical feature or solve an interesting problem.
      I would like to propose that you put YOUR MOST INTERESTING GEOMETRICAL FEATURE OF THIS YEAR on paper/internet and share it with the Hyacinthos community. Of course when it is convenient to you.
      When it catches on we even could make it a habit every year.
      Christmas holiday will give us time to share and reflect on these beautiful items and surely new discussions will start.
      So if you have observed a special point, conic, cubic, transformation or solved a beatiful problem or whatever please share it this month.

      I hope this will inspire you.
      Best regards,

      Chris van Tienhoven

      p.s.
      1. We have 641 Hyacinthos members. What about 100 inspiring new topics this month?
      2. I myself will start a new interesting topic within limited time this month.
    • Francisco Javier
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2012
        Chris, I think that it is a good idea. However I don't know if I have something interesting to give here. Along the year, I added in English a few entries to my blog http://garciacapitan.blogspot.com.es/

        * Concurrent Brocard Axes
        * Orthology of Pedal and Cevian Triangles
        * Three Parallel Segments
        * A conic centered at the Euler line
        * A property of the orthocentroidal circle

        In addition, I suggest to take a look to two peruvian sites dedicated to problem solving in Geometry (they are in Spanish, but they also contains a lot of figures, perhpaps one of them grab your attention)

        Forogeometras
        http://www.forogeometras.com

        Sobregeometrias
        http://mundogeometria.wordpress.com/

        Finally, I wonder how many of the 641 members are really active (at least their mail adddress is working and they receive the posts. I am also really interested in how many of them are Spanish, I accept private emails telling it.