Forum Geometricorum

  • Forum Geometricorum
    Message 1 of 476 , Feb 10, 2011
      The following paper has been published in Forum Geometricorum. It can be viewed at

      http://forumgeom.fau.edu/FG2011volume11/FG201102index.html

      The editors
      Forum Geometricorum

      Arie Bialostocki and Dora Bialostocki,
      The incenter and an excenter as solutions to an extremal problem,
      Forum Geometricorum, 11 (2011) 9--12.

      Abstract. Given a triangle ABC with a point X on the bisector of angle A, we show that the extremal values of BX/CX occur at the incenter and the excenter on the opposite side of A.

    • forumgeom forumgeom
      Message 476 of 476 , Apr 16 8:32 AM
        The following paper has been published in Forum Geometricorum. It can be viewed at

        http://forumgeom.fau.edu/FG2013volume13/FG201309ndex.html

        The editors
        Forum Geometricorum

        Paul Yiu, On the conic through the intercepts of the three lines through the centroid and the intercepts of a given line,
        Forum Geometricorum, 13 (2013) 87--102.

        Abstract. Let L be a line intersecting the sidelines of triangle ABC at X, Y, Z respectively. The lines joining these intercepts to the centroid give rise to six more intercepts on the sidelines which lie on a conic Q(L,G). We show that this conic (i) degenerates in a pair of lines if L is tangent to the Steiner inellipse, (ii) is a parabola if L is tangent to the ellipse containing the trisection points of the sides, (iii) is a rectangular hyperbola if L is tangent to a circle C_G with center G. We give a ruler and compass construction of the circle C_G. Finally, we also construct the two lines each with the property that the conic Q(L,G) is a circle.