Re: [EMHL] A Circle From Reflections In Incenter Cevians And Symmetries Of Vertices

  • Quang Tuan Bui
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 9:35 PM
      Dear All My Friends,

      Following is my detail construction of point Ab on BC (by direction BAC)

      Select X = B then X1 = X2 = B. We will get only 4 points
      B1 = reflection of B in IA
      B2 = symmetry of A in B1
      B3 = reflection of B2 in IC
      B4 = symmetry of C in B3
      Lp = line perpendicular with IB at B

      A1 = intersection of B2B4 with Lp

      Select X = C. We will get 6 points
      C1 = reflection of C in IB
      C2 = symmetry of B in C1
      C3 = reflection of C2 in IA
      C4 = symmetry of A in C3
      C5 = reflection of C4 in IC
      C6 = symmetry of C in C5

      A2 = intersection of CC1 with C4C6

      Ab = intersection of A1A2 with BC

      (Construction of Ac is similarly but by direction CAB.)

      These procedures generate two points Ab, Ac on BC with simple barycentrics:
      Ab = {0 : 2*(4*a + b - 2*c) : (a - 2*b + 4*c)}
      Ac = {0 : (a - 2*c + 4*b) : 2*(4*a + c - 2*b)}

      Best regards,
      Bui Quang Tuan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
        Dear Quang Tuan Bui
        > Given triangle ABC with incenter I. Select X is variable point on line BC. We do some reflections and symmetries as following:
        > By dicrection BAC
        > X1 = reflection of X in BI
        > X2 = symmetry of B in X1
        > X3 = reflection of X2 in AI
        > X4 = symmetry of A in X3
        > X5 = reflection of X4 in CI
        > X6 = symmetry of C in X5
        >
        > There is only one X on BC such that X=X6. We name this point as Ab.
        > Do the same procedures but with direction CAB, we get another point on BC and name it as Ac
        >
        > It is easy to get barycentrics of X1, X2... X6 from barycentrics of X. If we calculate intersection point Z of two lines XX1 and X4X6 then Z is always on a line. By choose X=B and X=C and do procedures as above, we can easy to construct this line. Intersection of this line with BC is Ab or Ac depend on direction we choosen. So Ab, Ac are easy to construct by ruler and compass.
        >
        > We can do the same procedures to get another similar points on lines CA, AB and we have total six points: Ab, Ac, Bc, Ba, Ca, Cb.
        >
        > It is interesting that these six points are concyclic on one circle with center T.
        > Barycentrics of T:
        > a*(3*a*(a^2 - b^2 - c^2) - 2*(b + c)*(a - b + c)*(a + b - c) + 4*a*b*c) : :
        > Search value: +3.3876599710368

        We have IT = IO/3 Friendly. Jean-Pierre
      • Quang Tuan Bui
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
          Dear Jean-Pierre,
          Thank you for interesting remark! It explains why a lot of central lines contain center T.
          Other than my quite complicated original construction, may be there are some elegant smart constructions for these six concyclic points?
          I am very happy if any one can find it!
          Thank you and best regards,
          Bui Quang Tuan

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010
            Dear All My Friends,

            If p, q are two real numbers and Ab, Ac are two points on BC with barycentrics:

            Ab={0: p*(a*p^2 + c*p*q + b*q^2) : -q*(c*p^2 + b*p*q + a*q^2) }
            Ac={0: -q*(b*p^2 + c*p*q + a*q^2) : p*(a*p^2 + b*p*q + c*q^2) }

            Cyclically define Bc, Ba on CA; Ca, Cb on AB then these six points are always concyclic on one circle centered on line X(1)X(3).
            Our circle here is one case when p=2, q=-1.
            When p=0 (or q=0), we get circumcircle.
            When p=1, q=-1, we get incircle.

            Best regards,
            Bui Quang Tuan