Re: [EMHL] Re: Harmonic Conic

  • Alexey Zaslavsky
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
      Dear Hauke, Barry and Jean-Pierre!

      > Some computation shows that for any circle that meets the 2 sides AB and AC harmonically, its center lies on the perpendicular bisector of BC.

      I don't agree with you. Your circles are member of the pencil with Poncelet points (circles with radius 0) A and the projection of A upon BC.

      The conic meets AB harmonically iff A lyes on the polar of B. Thus triangle ABC is autopolar wrt Hauke's conic. But in this case all six common points of this conic and the sidelines can't be real.

      Sincerely Alexey

    • Barry Wolk
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
        > From: jpehrmfr <jean-pierre.ehrmann@...>
        >
        > Dear Barry
        > [Barry Wolk]
        > > Some computation shows that for any circle that meets
        > the 2 sides AB and AC harmonically, its center lies on the
        > perpendicular bisector of BC.
        >
        > I don't agree with you. Your circles are member of the
        > pencil with Poncelet points (circles with radius 0) A and
        > the projection of A upon BC.
        > Friendly. Jean-Pierre

        I finally realized that I used an incorrect formula for harmonic conjugates, namely (BP/PC)*(BQ/QC)=-1, instead of the correct (BP/PC)/(BQ/QC)=-1 when P,Q are harmonic conjugates wrt B,C. So my results apply to this strange kind of "conjugates," but not to harmonics.
        --
        Barry Wolk
      • Eisso Atzema
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 19, 2010
          Dear Hyacinthians,

          Finally catching up on my mail. At the risk of having missed part of the
          discussion, I only partially agree with Alexey (if I understand him
          correctly). Using his observation that ABC is autopolar with respect to
          Hauke's conic, it is a straightforward exercise in barycentric calculus
          to show that any circle with the property that Hauke is looking for
          always has its center at the orthocenter of ABC. Also, with a little
          more work it can be shown that the radius of such a circle has to be
          equal to 2*R*sqrt(-cos(aA)cos(aB)cos(aC)), with R the radius of the
          circumcircle of ABC and aA, aB, aC the angles at A, B, C. It follows
          that there is no such (real) circle for acute triangles and exactly one
          for obtuse triangles.

          Eisso

          On 7/2/10 3:42 AM, Alexey Zaslavsky wrote:

          > Dear Hauke, Barry and Jean-Pierre!
          >
          > > Some computation shows that for any circle that meets the 2 sides AB
          > and AC harmonically, its center lies on the perpendicular bisector of BC.
          >
          > I don't agree with you. Your circles are member of the pencil with
          > Poncelet points (circles with radius 0) A and the projection of A upon BC.
          >
          > The conic meets AB harmonically iff A lyes on the polar of B. Thus
          > triangle ABC is autopolar wrt Hauke's conic. But in this case all six
          > common points of this conic and the sidelines can't be real.
          >
          > Sincerely Alexey

          Eisso J. Atzema, Ph.D.
          Department of Mathematics& Statistics
          University of Maine
          Orono, ME 04469
          Tel.: (207) 581-3928 (office)
          (207) 866-3871 (home)
          Fax.: (207) 581-3902
          E-mail: atzema@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2010
            I just remember the Faure theorem.
            A triangle ABC is autopolar wrt the conic Gamma iff the ABC-circumcircle is
            orthogonal to the orthoptic circle of Gamma.
            Friendly
            Francois